Firewall for Windows98
Thread poster: Magan
Magan
Magan  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:51
English to Spanish
Sep 9, 2007

I have running in my computer Spybot, AVG, Ad-aware and Norton. For some reason, it is running absolutely slow these last days and the repeated scans don't pick up anything. I was thinking that installing a firewall might help in sorting out the problem (or at least finding a possible reason for it).

I have checked Zone Alarm, but according to their website they don't support Windows98 anymore and some of the features don't run/work in this OS. I don't know if it is worth to still d
... See more
I have running in my computer Spybot, AVG, Ad-aware and Norton. For some reason, it is running absolutely slow these last days and the repeated scans don't pick up anything. I was thinking that installing a firewall might help in sorting out the problem (or at least finding a possible reason for it).

I have checked Zone Alarm, but according to their website they don't support Windows98 anymore and some of the features don't run/work in this OS. I don't know if it is worth to still download it or there might be any other firewall that still runs properly in Windows98.

I would really appreciate your opinions on this. Thanks in advance.

Inma
Collapse

Beatriz Galiano (X)
Beatriz Galiano (X)
Argentina
Local time: 20:51
English to Spanish
+ ...
Problems with w98 Sep 9, 2007

The main problems with window 98 is security I guess.

You need a very good antivirus, maybe you should change the version of the one you have. All other programs you mention are useful too.

Sometimes these programs spoil your browser too so you can't surf the net quickly, so , if I were you I'd have both I.Explorer and Mozilla.

But security problems might lead to a situation in which you will not be able to open windows, so a good antivirus system is a must
... See more
The main problems with window 98 is security I guess.

You need a very good antivirus, maybe you should change the version of the one you have. All other programs you mention are useful too.

Sometimes these programs spoil your browser too so you can't surf the net quickly, so , if I were you I'd have both I.Explorer and Mozilla.

But security problems might lead to a situation in which you will not be able to open windows, so a good antivirus system is a must, I guess.

CU
Collapse

Hilde Granlund
Hilde Granlund  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 01:51
English to Norwegian
+ ...
How about a new OS? Sep 10, 2007

THis post makes me very curious to know why you want to stick with an OS that even Microsoft has given up on?

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
Oldies Sep 10, 2007

If you insist on running Windows 98, check out a site like www.oldversion.com

There are a few other, similar sites, where you can find older versions of software that will run on older operating systems.
Installing a firewall will slow things down more still because of the additional software load.

Software:
It's always a good idea to do a clean install of all your software
... See more
If you insist on running Windows 98, check out a site like www.oldversion.com

There are a few other, similar sites, where you can find older versions of software that will run on older operating systems.
Installing a firewall will slow things down more still because of the additional software load.

Software:
It's always a good idea to do a clean install of all your software once every 2 years or so. It takes a day, but cleans out all the accumulated garbage and, usually, the system runs better.

Hardware:
There always comes a time (for me that's once every 4-5 years) where a computer simply cannot handle new software and new technologies. That's a time to bite the bullet and buy a new machine and let the old one go on eBay for 20 bucks

HTH
Pawel Skalinski

[Edited at 2007-09-10 08:15]
Collapse

Katarzyna Klamra
Katarzyna Klamra
Poland
Member (2007)
English to Polish
+ ...
Firewall for Windows 98 Sep 10, 2007

Try Sygate
http://tinyurl.com/25seg
or Avira http://www.free-av.com/ - Both of them should work in Windows 98. You can also scan your computer with an online scanner: House Call by Trendmicro works in Windows 98 www.trendmicro.com

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Kerio Sep 10, 2007

Magan wrote:
I have checked Zone Alarm, but according to their website they don't support Windows98 anymore and some of the features don't run/work in this OS.

Kerio Firewall runs on W95, AFAIK, but you may have to scour the web to find it. It used to be called TF (tiny firewall).

Or, if you really want ZoneAlarm (which is a good option), try here:

http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=zalarm

Magan
Magan  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:51
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the input Sep 17, 2007

Thanks to everyone for the different options. Sorry to be late to access my own post but the PC ( I guess) couldn't handle anything else. I have to format again the whole hard drive, as it has become so slow that it wouldn't even move the mouse. Definitely time to get another one, meanwhile just trying to fix this one and save everything that hasn't been backed up.

I should be ok for a while until I manage to get another one. The options are great, I think I appreciate a lot the inp
... See more
Thanks to everyone for the different options. Sorry to be late to access my own post but the PC ( I guess) couldn't handle anything else. I have to format again the whole hard drive, as it has become so slow that it wouldn't even move the mouse. Definitely time to get another one, meanwhile just trying to fix this one and save everything that hasn't been backed up.

I should be ok for a while until I manage to get another one. The options are great, I think I appreciate a lot the input about those programs that wouldn't take that much space.

Inma
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Firewall for Windows98

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »