Malware Alarm Update
Thread poster: Damian Harrison (X)
Damian Harrison (X)
Damian Harrison (X)
Germany
Local time: 19:14
German to English
Nov 29, 2007

BBC is currently running a story on the attempt to hijack web searches and divert users to malicious sites. They allege the attack was set up by a criminal gang known as the Russian Business Network (RBN). The wikipedia entry on the RBN features this piece of info on Malware Alarm:

"There is one increasingly known activity of the RBN which is an exploit delivery method by applying fake anti-spyware and anti-malware for the purpose of PC hijacking and personal identity (ID) theft.
... See more
BBC is currently running a story on the attempt to hijack web searches and divert users to malicious sites. They allege the attack was set up by a criminal gang known as the Russian Business Network (RBN). The wikipedia entry on the RBN features this piece of info on Malware Alarm:

"There is one increasingly known activity of the RBN which is an exploit delivery method by applying fake anti-spyware and anti-malware for the purpose of PC hijacking and personal identity (ID) theft.[1] According to McAfee’s SiteAdvisor, MalwareAlarm is a dangerous fake anti-spyware software and is an updated version of Malware Wiper. They tested 279 “bad” downloads from this one site.[2] The methodology is to entice the user to use a “free download” to test for spyware or malware on their PC, MalwareAlarm then displays a warning message of problems on the PC to persuade the unwary web site visitor to purchase the paid version. Along with MalwareAlarm, numerous other rogue software are linked to and hosted by the RBN.[3]"

So if the Malware Alarm popup appears on YOUR screen, don´t go there...

The Economist also recently ran an article on the RBN, see here:

http://economist.com/displaystory.cfm?story_id=9723768

[Edited at 2007-11-29 13:45]

[Edited at 2007-11-29 15:56]
Collapse

Tim Drayton
Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 20:14
Turkish to English
+ ...
Thanks Nov 29, 2007

Thanks for the warning.

Woodstock (X)
Woodstock (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Economist link didn't work for me Nov 29, 2007

I was interested in reading the Economist article, but it was not valid, would it be possible to get a better one?

Secondly, I had a pop-up ad as you describe appear on my screen just today, but these persistent vermin don't close when you click on the "X" button in the upper right corner, they take you to their website anyway.

I immediately closed all my windows and browser, and turned off the PC because I was going out on an errand in any case, so my question is: does
... See more
I was interested in reading the Economist article, but it was not valid, would it be possible to get a better one?

Secondly, I had a pop-up ad as you describe appear on my screen just today, but these persistent vermin don't close when you click on the "X" button in the upper right corner, they take you to their website anyway.

I immediately closed all my windows and browser, and turned off the PC because I was going out on an errand in any case, so my question is: does just being led to the website do anything or do you have to download something before the damage is done? I was hoping to get the answer to this question from the Economist article, but maybe someone here knows.
Collapse

Damian Harrison (X)
Damian Harrison (X)
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Link Nov 29, 2007

The link seems to be my mistake. For some reason the link includes the [edit] tag below the link... you just need to remove the last part of the address from your browser, then it should work.

You could also take a lokk at the earlier malware thread for more info on what malware does.

To avoid inadvertant disclosure of private details you can close windows like that using your task manager (i.e. directly shutting down Mozilla or I.E.)

JPW (X)
JPW (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:14
Spanish to English
+ ...
RE: MALWARE Nov 29, 2007

I also got a few of these pop-ups tonight on this website, I hope my norton system has me fully protected...in any case, I am now doing a full scan on my computer as I am a bit worried by this; I only wish I had read this thread earlier!!

The problem is, when things like this appear on your screen, you assume they're genuine, don't you?

Haiyang Ai (X)
Haiyang Ai (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:14
English to Chinese
+ ...
My 2 cents Nov 30, 2007

Thanks for the warning. I hope my Karpasky Internet Security software can detect such hijack and report back to me.

I think if we don't download software/music/files from unknown sources or websites, the risks would be greatly reduced. Just my 2 cents.

Kind regards,
Haiyang

JPW (X)
JPW (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:14
Spanish to English
+ ...
Malware danger Nov 30, 2007

The point I was making last night was that it was on THIS SITE where I received the pop-ups (3 or 4 of them) and it happened at the precise moment when I logged out, so I suspect the two events were linked, although I'm not a computer expert, but I think my Norton system effectively shut down and removed the danger. Even still, things like this worry me.

Damian Harrison (X)
Damian Harrison (X)
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Happened to me about a week ago as well Nov 30, 2007

The same thing happened to me about a week or so back. I went to proz and malware popup appeared. I am not sure how they are synced to do that. Perhasp somebody could enlighten us on that point. Does it mean that elements of proz are somehow infected, perhaps?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Malware Alarm Update

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »