Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 22:15
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Why not try signing up as a translator? May 26, 2009

Hello Alex,

Just to check out the site, why don't you try signing up as a translator? Signing up is free, so I don't think there would be any financial damages. Or ask them what "1 Price for all Language Pairs. Simplicity is king" really means.

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:15
Dutch to English
+ ...
Pyramid May 26, 2009

The co-founder bit sounds a little like a pyramid scam. In theory, you do not need any real jobs as long as more and more co-founders join. You will then get your 10%.

It all sounds off to me.

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Too much hot air... May 26, 2009

This is basically what I would call an hot air site. Nice presentation, big fonts and so on... but where is the essential content? Maybe I am a little dumb, but I was not able to find it.

Laurent K.

PS: afaik, the owner of this site posted a few jobs on another website. Nothing to write home about, really (i.e. well below 10/100 euros per SW)!

[Edited at 2009-05-26 11:44 GMT]

NMR (X)
NMR (X)
France
French to Dutch
+ ...
Strange May 26, 2009

Marijke Singer wrote:

The co-founder bit sounds a little like a pyramid scam. In theory, you do not need any real jobs as long as more and more co-founders join. You will then get your 10%.

It all sounds off to me.

There is something strange about this website, other than MLM or pyramids, I don't know what it is but for myself I do refrain.

Spencer Allman
Spencer Allman
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:15
Finnish to English
Not serious May 26, 2009

Anyone who thinks in terms of one price for all language pairs knows nothing about the trade

spencer

Pompeo Lattanzi
Pompeo Lattanzi
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
So what? May 26, 2009

ScottishWildCat wrote:

This is basically what I would call an hot air site. Nice presentation, big fonts and so on... but where is the essential content? Maybe I am a little dumb, but I was not able to find it.

Laurent K.

PS: afaik, the owner of this site posted a few jobs on another website. Nothing to write home about, really (i.e. well below 10/100 euros per SW)!

[Edited at 2009-05-26 11:44 GMT]

The few times I could see prices quoted on ProZ.com I didn't see any figure anywhere near 10/100 Euros either...
I have sent in many quotes at 0.08 or even at 0.06, but without joy. Granted, it could be MY fault, but most outsourcers state "we can offer 0.04" etc. It doesn't seem to me that the quotes level does reflect in any way for or against this Mr. Afaik (or whatever his name is...).

Kathryn Sanderson
Kathryn Sanderson  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:15
French to English
I'd avoid it May 27, 2009

It seems fishy, not enough specific information about what they do, just a lot of buzzwords. A quick Google search was not reassuring. I like to to see info about a company on the web sites of well-known business magazines, newspapers, TV networks etc. I didn't find anything like that about the company, just more hot-air type sites and very little info. It's a start-up, but still...... it just doesn't feel right to me. I might do periodic Google searches on this company, to see what's going o... See more
It seems fishy, not enough specific information about what they do, just a lot of buzzwords. A quick Google search was not reassuring. I like to to see info about a company on the web sites of well-known business magazines, newspapers, TV networks etc. I didn't find anything like that about the company, just more hot-air type sites and very little info. It's a start-up, but still...... it just doesn't feel right to me. I might do periodic Google searches on this company, to see what's going on, but I would avoid getting involved with it for now.Collapse

Rod Walters
Rod Walters  Identity Verified
Japan
Japanese to English
Not with a barge pole May 27, 2009

The basic idea of starting up a 'guild' company with financial contributions from participants is quite interesting. Whether it's the sort of thing that freelance translators are likely to be attracted to is another question.*

However, as has already been noted, the site is full of guff. Also the subscription is set at such a level as 1) to cover the cost of development of that website with just a few subscriptions 2) make it not worthwhile to pursue restitution if it turns out to b
... See more
The basic idea of starting up a 'guild' company with financial contributions from participants is quite interesting. Whether it's the sort of thing that freelance translators are likely to be attracted to is another question.*

However, as has already been noted, the site is full of guff. Also the subscription is set at such a level as 1) to cover the cost of development of that website with just a few subscriptions 2) make it not worthwhile to pursue restitution if it turns out to be a scam.

If the site were serious, I would want to see some sort of contract before forking over a penny. And I can't see how any of the promises made can reasonably be met. The suggestion seems to be that work is going to be done more quickly and more cheaply than under current models, with more happiness all round. Ain't gonna happen.

However, it will be fun to watch where this goes.

* A very select guild built around a limited number of CAT workflows or subject areas might be well worth pursuing with that approach.
Collapse

Taalservice NL
Taalservice NL
Netherlands
Dutch to German
+ ...
Exvo Oct 21, 2011

So, what do you think now?

I still wonder whether it is a scam or not.

They want me to translate texts as a part of my "training", which means that I just translate for free.

They wrote me that I can accept tasks and set my own rates as soon as I am done with my training. But in their Policies you can read that they won´t tell you the criteria to pass the training. So it can easily happen that I translate thousands of words for free "as a part of my traini
... See more
So, what do you think now?

I still wonder whether it is a scam or not.

They want me to translate texts as a part of my "training", which means that I just translate for free.

They wrote me that I can accept tasks and set my own rates as soon as I am done with my training. But in their Policies you can read that they won´t tell you the criteria to pass the training. So it can easily happen that I translate thousands of words for free "as a part of my training".

Don´t you think they should announce their criteria for the training and how long does the training period take (or at least the word amount)?

Is it a scam?
Collapse

Michael Grant
Michael Grant
Japan
Japanese to English
Scam: Page no longer exists!!? Oct 21, 2011

Uh, yeah, I would say scam: seeing as how the page is no longer accessible!

Error accessing the page:
The Page You were Looking for does not Exist

We're sorry but this page can't be found

Click Start to find something else to view

Taalservice NL
Taalservice NL
Netherlands
Dutch to German
+ ...
Page no longer exists Oct 21, 2011

That one doesn´t, but this one does:
http://www.exvo.com/#!/pages/intro

You can sign up as a translator and start your training or "training"!

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Scam or not, I don't like being forced to work for free Oct 21, 2011

Katerina Novotna wrote:

They wrote me that I can accept tasks and set my own rates as soon as I am done with my training. But in their Policies you can read that they won´t tell you the criteria to pass the training. So it can easily happen that I translate thousands of words for free "as a part of my training".

Don´t you think they should announce their criteria for the training and how long does the training period take (or at least the word amount)?

Is it a scam?

Hi Katka,
I don't know if it's a scam or not, but I'd be wary to take on anything that is required to be free, especially with so many variables and unknowns involved.

Taalservice NL
Taalservice NL
Netherlands
Dutch to German
+ ...
Thank you Oct 22, 2011

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

Hi Katka,
I don't know if it's a scam or not, but I'd be wary to take on anything that is required to be free, especially with so many variables and unknowns involved.

Ok, thank you for your advice! It´s just not transparent enough to become a part of it.

Alberto Manni
Alberto Manni  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:15
Member (2020)
English to Italian
+ ...
It's not a serious initiative Apr 3, 2012

Hello everybody,

I'd like to share what I have seen.

I went through the training, where I came across a serious bug which blocked its completion. Exchanged a few mails with some Mark of exvo support, then eventually finished it. That was for free, alright, and, by the way, looked like material belonging to the exvo web site itself, not a pay job in disuguise. So far, so good, but I felt like the guinea pig.

Then comes a first job, a short one. I ac
... See more
Hello everybody,

I'd like to share what I have seen.

I went through the training, where I came across a serious bug which blocked its completion. Exchanged a few mails with some Mark of exvo support, then eventually finished it. That was for free, alright, and, by the way, looked like material belonging to the exvo web site itself, not a pay job in disuguise. So far, so good, but I felt like the guinea pig.

Then comes a first job, a short one. I accept, and do it.

I get a completion note, and the promise of the payment in seven days.
That was a few months ago.

No news since then, and no reply from Mark, who must have found a better job.
I just receive some automated messages from time to time, asif the whole thing is now run by a bored, lonlely server with no humans around.

So, while they didn't try to rob my money, they did rob some of my work, and left the site abandoned.

[Edited at 2012-04-03 12:56 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do you think this start-up is a scam?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »