https://www.proz.com/forum/scams/159334-scam_certified_check-page2.html?

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Scam ? (Certified check)
Thread poster: Janet Cannon
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Janet Cannon
Janet Cannon
United States
Local time: 05:55
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Isn't there a way to issue a general warning? May 14, 2010

Most of us don't read the forums regularly, and as this creep is still operating, I feel ProZ ought to publicize his methods. I also received a $4000 cashier's check (on a dodgy bank) without having submitted any work. I've kept it as a souvenir.

What surprises me is that the guy has been using the same name and story for some time. You'd think he'd vary it after a while- but so much the better, at least some people will be warned.

Germaine
Germaine  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
The new version... Jun 4, 2010

Seems that I received the new version of such email:

You have been sent a message via ProZ.com.
Author: * [NOTE: The author is not a registered ProZ.com user or was not logged in when sending this message.]
Author's IP address: * (transmitted to Proz Support team)
Message type: Request for quote
-----------

Greetings!

My name is * from Toronto,Canada but presently on an official assignment in Bucarest,Romania.I will need your s
... See more
Seems that I received the new version of such email:

You have been sent a message via ProZ.com.
Author: * [NOTE: The author is not a registered ProZ.com user or was not logged in when sending this message.]
Author's IP address: * (transmitted to Proz Support team)
Message type: Request for quote
-----------

Greetings!

My name is * from Toronto,Canada but presently on an official assignment in Bucarest,Romania.I will need your service to translate a write-up for me.I actually need to make a presentation to some group of french speaking people in Quebec and I will be provided with an interpreter there in Quebec,so i will need you to help me translate the papers to canadian French,so each of my audience can have a copy in French language and they can follow through.I will also need that the work be delivered by August 1st.Please,let me know your rate for a total of about 15 pages presentation(see attachments) and your
methods of payment.
Thank you.
(phone number)

[Edited at 2010-06-04 15:15 GMT]
Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Gabriel Guzovsky
Gabriel Guzovsky  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:55
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Suggestion to Proz Jun 21, 2010

Maybe they could send a weekly or monthly email newsletter to all members (or users at all) called SCAM ALERT and sharing all the known and identified types of scam reported to Proz. For that they would need a hotline (email) to receive users threads and cases to report.

That would make our lives much easier when dealing with daily business decisions.

Nice posts here and information - I learned a lot from your experience in this topic guys.
Glad none of these neve
... See more
Maybe they could send a weekly or monthly email newsletter to all members (or users at all) called SCAM ALERT and sharing all the known and identified types of scam reported to Proz. For that they would need a hotline (email) to receive users threads and cases to report.

That would make our lives much easier when dealing with daily business decisions.

Nice posts here and information - I learned a lot from your experience in this topic guys.
Glad none of these never happened to me till now and hopefully now it won´t happen because of the information I´ve learned here.

Thanks!
Collapse

3ADE shadab
3ADE shadab
Local time: 15:25
Member (2008)
Hindi to English
+ ...
Dont do at all.. Jun 22, 2010

Please ignore it at one go.. dont do it anyhow and be careful.

jthink wrote:

But I feel dumb not catching on quicker- in fact, I had a similar situation with a request for English lessons once.

It isn't possible to catch the guy calling himself Hanks Blake, as his IP address is hidden, but I do think proZ would do well to send or publish a visible alert to those who don't follow the forums- this kind of thing will be more and more prevalent as people are hurting for work!

Another variant, posted on Craigslist:

SCAM ALERT - affiliate scammers are posting bogus ads promising (nonexistent!) employment, paid research trials, or other compensation, but then notifying repliers that they'll need to jump through a hoop first, directing them to:

* background checking services
* credit checking or reporting sites
* sites where you are instructed to enter your resume or other personal information
* sites where you are asked to sign up for a "free" trial offer
* sites offering training or education
* sites offering a "system" for making money
* survey or focus group sites
* sites designed to deliver malware or misuse your identifying information

all in hopes of earning affiliate marketing commissions or otherwise profiting at the expense of persons seeking employment.

Lots of variations on this scam, but each generally involves dangling (nonexistent!) compensation, and then directing you to a website where you are asked to sign up for something, use your credit card, or input personal information such as your email address.

FUN FACT: If you are able to determine a scammer's "affiliate ID" and report it to their affiliate marketing program, this will often result in termination of the scammer, and confiscation of the scammer's ill-gotten gains by the affiliate program.

[Edited at 2010-03-03 17:32 GMT]

Lorna Bleach
Lorna Bleach
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:55
Member (2012)
German to English
+ ...
Hans Blake Warning May 17, 2011

Just to follow up on what other people have said, I recently received an email from someone called 'Hans Blake' asking for me to translate a set of papers from French to English, which would be used for a business presentation. Apparently, Hans could, "...instruct our partner company here in Uk to have the payment dispatched to you as soon as possible".
Upon asking for more details and confirmation of identity etc. there was a deafening silence...

Catherine Gilsenan
Catherine Gilsenan
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:55
French to English
+ ...
Hanks Blake May 19, 2011

Just received message from Hanks Blake through TranslationDirectory.com.
Seeking a translation from French to English for conference papers in UK.

Found this, and Hanks Blake is mentioned.

http://www.wordawareness.youtranslated.com/content/nigerian-scams-now-targeting-translators-and-interpreters

Anne Diamantidis
Anne Diamantidis  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:55
German to French
+ ...
Now Blake is Irish ;) Nov 8, 2011

And here he is again and back at it, this time his Irish version seeking a translation for a presentation in France.
That guy definitely tries hard, gotta give him that

------------------
Greetings!

I'm Hanks Blake from Dublin,Ireland and i'm presently in
London,United Kingdom on a business trip.I will need your
service to translate some documents for me.I need to make a
pres
... See more
And here he is again and back at it, this time his Irish version seeking a translation for a presentation in France.
That guy definitely tries hard, gotta give him that

------------------
Greetings!

I'm Hanks Blake from Dublin,Ireland and i'm presently in
London,United Kingdom on a business trip.I will need your
service to translate some documents for me.I need to make a
presentation to some groups of French speaking people in
Paris,France on 16th of December,2011.However,i will need
you to help me translate the papers from English to
French,so each of my audience can have a copy in French
language and they can follow through.I will also need that
the work be delivered by Dec 14,2011.Please,let me know your
rate for a total of about 4626 words presentation and your
methods of payment.I look forward to hearing back from you
soon.
Collapse

Janet Cannon
Janet Cannon
United States
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for keeping this out in the open! Nov 8, 2011

I'm glad to see y'all taking the time to keep this info out there. Next step, he will probably change his name...

I post tutoring propositions on Craigslist, and I often get a variation on this:

Hello how are you?.. Am John by name I just want to know if the tutor lesson still available for my son for a month he is 14 years old, I want you to calculate the cost of 1 hour per day for three days in week for the whole a Month and email me the total cost..Hope to read back
... See more
I'm glad to see y'all taking the time to keep this info out there. Next step, he will probably change his name...

I post tutoring propositions on Craigslist, and I often get a variation on this:

Hello how are you?.. Am John by name I just want to know if the tutor lesson still available for my son for a month he is 14 years old, I want you to calculate the cost of 1 hour per day for three days in week for the whole a Month and email me the total cost..Hope to read back from you asap..Thanks

John Webb

Same scam, but so clumsy I do wonder how they get enough bites to keep it going! Unfortunately Craigslist doesn't let me post a specific warning in the tutoring section.
Collapse

Elisa C
Elisa C
Germany
German to French
+ ...
here he goes again.. our hanks.. Nov 8, 2011

Yes.. same thing here today..

Même chose chez moi aujourd'hui..

But he's delaying the scammy-like sentences over several emails... - thx for the loss of time..- I really thought for 2h i had a job...;(

Mais il dilue bcp plus les phrases, sur plusieurs mails, qui peuvent faire sonner la sonnette "scam"... - Sympa, j'ai perdu une partie de mon précieux temps..

Exact same text as my collegue.. : from dublin, being in
... See more
Yes.. same thing here today..

Même chose chez moi aujourd'hui..

But he's delaying the scammy-like sentences over several emails... - thx for the loss of time..- I really thought for 2h i had a job...;(

Mais il dilue bcp plus les phrases, sur plusieurs mails, qui peuvent faire sonner la sonnette "scam"... - Sympa, j'ai perdu une partie de mon précieux temps..

Exact same text as my collegue.. : from dublin, being in london, going for business to paris blabla..in need of an engl-fr translation, deadline mid-dec..

Exactement le même texte que chez les collegues, comme quoi il est de dublin, en ce moment à londres, bientôt à paris en voyage d'affaires..a besoin d'une trad' anglais-français dici mi dec...

He even send the files.. which content makes even makes sense ^^!

Il a même envoyé les documents à traduire.. qui, il faut le dire, font tout à fait sens..

Voulait payer avec un "euro draft/ cheque"..

Wanted to pay with an "euro draft/ cheque"..

A seulement demander nom, adresse postale et nr de tel...

But only asked for full name, postal adress and phone number yet..

Than the bell ringed..

Là, j'ai commencé à tiquer...

So watch out..

à bon entendeur donc...
Collapse

Laurent L
Laurent L
Germany
German to French
+ ...
dear hanks Nov 18, 2011

Well the guy travel a lot!!

I recieved also a scam from this guy. Thouh the Ip adress appeared : 209.73.132.53.

Anyway what can we do about it?

Maria Rodriguez Palma
Maria Rodriguez Palma
Austria
Member (2009)
German to Spanish
+ ...
May I join the club? Nov 22, 2011

I've got my Hans Blake's email today. He's from Dublin. currently in London, Author's IP address: 69.31.51.45

He needs lots of stuff. Have a look at this blog where he requests a massage! http://www.transcendingtouch.com/blog/blog_portland_massage.html

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Certified (or cashier's ) cheque... Nov 22, 2011

does not mean that any kind of payment is guaranteed.

Please see http://www.fakechecks.org and spread the word!

As the reminder on this site reads: Remember, there is no legitimate reason why anyone would give you a check or money order and ask you to wire money in return.

Clear enough, no?

Nathalie Kourimsky
Nathalie Kourimsky  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
I just got an email from Hanks Blake as well! Nov 23, 2011

I didn't even reply, it just smells like scam

Here is the text of the email

"Greetings!

I'm Hanks Blake from Dublin,Ireland and i'm
presently in London,United Kingdom on a business
trip.I will need your service to translate some
documents for me.I need to make a presentation to
some groups of French speaking people in
Paris,France on 9th of January,2012.However,i will
need you to help me translate the papers from <
... See more
I didn't even reply, it just smells like scam

Here is the text of the email

"Greetings!

I'm Hanks Blake from Dublin,Ireland and i'm
presently in London,United Kingdom on a business
trip.I will need your service to translate some
documents for me.I need to make a presentation to
some groups of French speaking people in
Paris,France on 9th of January,2012.However,i will
need you to help me translate the papers from
English to French,so each of my audience can have
a copy in French language and they can follow
through.I will also need that the work be delivered
by Jan 7,2012.Please,let me know your rate for a
total of about 4626 words presentation and your
methods of payment.I look forward to hearing back
from you soon.

Best Regards,
Hanks
+447031898509"
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Scam ? (Certified check)

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »