Local time: 14:09
Romanian to English
+ ...
Jul 23, 2011

I just received this "offer":

Hello,
I will like to use this medium to introduce our agency to you "Swift Sure
Recruiting Ltd", we are into special recruitment for our clients that require
special and personal services.We will like to know if you will be able to render
your interpretation services for our client whom will be needing your services
in the united states from Sept 8th - Sept 10th 2011.

Job Description... See more
I just received this "offer":

Hello,
I will like to use this medium to introduce our agency to you "Swift Sure
Recruiting Ltd", we are into special recruitment for our clients that require
special and personal services.We will like to know if you will be able to render
your interpretation services for our client whom will be needing your services
in the united states from Sept 8th - Sept 10th 2011.

Job Description
We are seeking certified Multilingual,Bilingual and ASL interpreters for event
in USA.

DEFINITION:
Performs a wide variety of language interpretation activities on an assigned and
as needed. Interprets from and into English and the applicable non-English
language using simultaneous and consecutive modes for business purposes.

Required Skills and Knowledge
# Orally convey the meaning from and into English and the applicable non-English
language by interpreting in the simultaneous, consecutive, and sight translation
modes; the meaning must be conveyed accurately, not editing, summarizing, adding
meaning, or omitting.
# Correct usage of grammar and vocabulary of English and non-English language
specified, provided the source language speaker is using correct grammar and
vocabulary.

Certificates:
Kindly submit your resume / Certificate to [email protected]
Collapse

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:09
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Well Jul 24, 2011

This offer sure meets all required criterias of a SCAM.

Thank you for the warning, Lee.

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 20:09
German to Swedish
+ ...
: Jul 24, 2011

A "multilingual" interpreter, that's certainly an asset.

sokolniki
sokolniki  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:09
English to Russian
+ ...
I got it, too Jul 24, 2011

Obviously aimed at US translators

Luis Arri Cibils
Luis Arri Cibils  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Another recipient of this scam Jul 25, 2011

sokolniki wrote:

Obviously aimed at US translators

Hello,I will like to use this medium to introduce our agency to you "Swift Sure Recruiting Ltd", we are into special recruitment for our clients that require special and personal services.We will like to know if you will be able to render your interpretation services for our client whom will be needing your services in the united states from Sept 8th - Sept 10th 2011. Job DescriptionWe are seeking certified Multilingual,Bilingual and ASL interpreters for event in USA. DEFINITION:Performs a wide variety of language interpretation activities on an assigned and as needed. Interprets from and into English and the applicable non-English language using simultaneous and consecutive modes for business purposes. Required Skills and Knowledge# Orally convey the meaning from and into English and the applicable non-English language by interpreting in the simultaneous, consecutive, and sight translation modes; the meaning must be conveyed accurately, not editing, summarizing, adding meaning, or omitting.# Correct usage of grammar and vocabulary of English and non-English language specified, provided the source language speaker is using correct grammar and vocabulary. Certificates:Kindly submit your resume / Certificate to

Lizette Ödfalk
Lizette Ödfalk
United States
Swedish to English
+ ...
Just got the same offer, this was my note to them...lol Jul 29, 2011

Dear Sirs,

Thank you for your note. Your proposal sounds attractive. But, before I consider it I must ask you to answer the following questions. If you cannot answer them, then you have confirmed this IS not a serious proposal.

1) Which language combination are you asking for. As you must have seen in my Resume I speak three languages fluently. I do not cover ASL.
2) What is your company website, so I can read more about it? Your company must be rather new because
... See more
Dear Sirs,

Thank you for your note. Your proposal sounds attractive. But, before I consider it I must ask you to answer the following questions. If you cannot answer them, then you have confirmed this IS not a serious proposal.

1) Which language combination are you asking for. As you must have seen in my Resume I speak three languages fluently. I do not cover ASL.
2) What is your company website, so I can read more about it? Your company must be rather new because I could not find much on the Internet. I found that you take care of web hosting and construction & energy field recruitment. I did find the owner’s name on LinkedIn Mr. xxx. Please explain.
3) I read that this assignment is for a financial management conference, is it possible to get an idea - an abstract of the conference topics? I would like to ensure I can cover them well in the target language before I agree.
4) I noticed that your email originates from a free web mail in Germany. Which made me doubt the seriousness of your company. My apologies for asking, but doesn’t your company have its own domain since you are also in the web-hosting business?
5) What is the clients’ professional profile or audience profile? Will it be simultaneous translation to an audience through speakers, or one-on-one? Thank you.
6) You mentioned to be willing to pay my fee in advance, through which method will you be doing that? I use Paypal only.

If this is a scam (http://www.proz.com/forum/scams/203894-a_new_scam.html ), I will report you to the ATA, Proz and Translators Cafe and all fellow members.
I await your serious reply. Thank you in advance.

Sincerely,
Lizette

I doubt they will respond. Will keep y'all posted. Greetings from Texas!
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Romanian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@ Lizette Jul 30, 2011

They may flood you e-mail with spam in retaliation; I've seen that before.

Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:39
English to Tamil
+ ...
In memoriam
The demands of such scamsters are mind-boggling Jul 31, 2011

One bloke had the temerity to suggest that the would be interpreter should be a license- holding automobile driver!.

Guess they want not only a multi-lingual driver, but one also proficient enough to be an interpreter!

Regards,
N. Raghavan

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Romanian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@ Lizette Jul 31, 2011

now, you gave them the link and they can access our personal data for ”phishing” purposes. Not very smart !

Michael Grant
Michael Grant
Japan
Local time: 03:09
Japanese to English
First thing to check: their e-mail address! Aug 1, 2011

The first thing I do with these offers is check the domain of the e-mail address they give me, in this case gmx.com. Well if you go to http://www.gmx.com you see that it is a free e-mail hosting service!!!

That says it all!

MGrant

zipang
zipang  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2006)
English to Japanese
+ ...
FYI Aug 1, 2011

One of the ATA members also received the same email and he replied with fictitious figures:

"I charge $1000.00/day including travel days. If it is a three-day assignment, I will bill $3000.00. If travel takes place on separate days, then I will bill $5000.00 for time, plus travel, lodging and meal expenses. "

and of course, the sender accepted his rate and terms&conditions.

If you want to know more about this:

Linkedin > American Translator
... See more
One of the ATA members also received the same email and he replied with fictitious figures:

"I charge $1000.00/day including travel days. If it is a three-day assignment, I will bill $3000.00. If travel takes place on separate days, then I will bill $5000.00 for time, plus travel, lodging and meal expenses. "

and of course, the sender accepted his rate and terms&conditions.

If you want to know more about this:

Linkedin > American Translators Association > Scam: Here we go again. I just received the following message. I have the time, therefore and I am going to play the game. I will keep you updated.
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Romanian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
... and you believe that ... Aug 1, 2011

good for you ! Check the website for Swift Sure Recruitment Ltd., and compare with the message.

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Romanian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
same old trick, slightly changed name &topic Sep 27, 2011

Freelance Interpreters Needed
Date: 2011-09-14, 8:00PM EDT
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]
Description

Swift-sure Linguistic, a world leader in language services, is seeking bilingual persons to interpret in Seminars,event & functions on a part-time, freelance basis. Working as an interpreter for Swift-sure Linguistic is a great way to earn supplemen
... See more
Freelance Interpreters Needed
Date: 2011-09-14, 8:00PM EDT
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]
Description

Swift-sure Linguistic, a world leader in language services, is seeking bilingual persons to interpret in Seminars,event & functions on a part-time, freelance basis. Working as an interpreter for Swift-sure Linguistic is a great way to earn supplemental income while also providing a much needed and valued service.

As freelancers, Swift-sure Linguistic can accept or decline assignments at will. All candidates must pass a contract required language proficiency assessment. To qualify as a freelance interpreter, a successful background investigation by Department of Justice-EOIR must be completed, and preliminary requirements are as follows:

-US Citizen or Permanent Resident (green card holder;)
-Lived in the US for at least 3 of the past 5 years ;
-Minimum of one year of interpreting experience in a legal setting is REQUIRED;

Please send your resume to indicating your name, language(s) you speak fluently, your location and your contact number.

Swift-sure Linguistic is a division of Lionbridge Technologies Inc., the leading provider of translation, localization, technical writing and interpretation services that enable businesses to deliver locally relevant and culturally connected products, services and communications anywhere in the world.

Compensation: $55/hr
This is a part-time job.
This is a contract job.
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
Please, no phone calls about this job!
Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.

PostingID: 2599129003

If anybody doubts that this is a scam, I will come with my reason.

Be aware, it is on Craigslist and targets (so far) New York and Pennsylvania
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Romanian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
reasons I am sure it is a scam Sep 28, 2011

My gut feeling tells me that this is a scam for the following logical reasons:
1- "Swift-sure Linguistics, a world leader in language services" - a world leader without a website !
2- "Swift-sure Ling. is a division of Lionbridge Tech.Inc." - I have been interpreting for Lionbridge for more than 15 years, on a monthly basis, and they handle only immigration cases for interpretation (no Seminars, event & functions)
3- " is seeking bilingual persons to interpret" - in our field
... See more
My gut feeling tells me that this is a scam for the following logical reasons:
1- "Swift-sure Linguistics, a world leader in language services" - a world leader without a website !
2- "Swift-sure Ling. is a division of Lionbridge Tech.Inc." - I have been interpreting for Lionbridge for more than 15 years, on a monthly basis, and they handle only immigration cases for interpretation (no Seminars, event & functions)
3- " is seeking bilingual persons to interpret" - in our field we call ourselves INTERPRETERS not bilingual persons (off the street) !
4- "interpreting for Seminars, event & functions" - why on Earth one needs clearance from the EOIR(Executive Office for Immigration Review) for" event and functions" ?
5- "As freelancers,S-s L can accept or decline assignments" - it doesn't make any sense !
6- The background check is not performed by the EOIR, but by the DHS.
7- Lionbridge has a different payment schedule, not the $55/hr
8- No phone number or address for a "world leader" ?

Since I had the opportunity to translate official legal documents for the Department of Justice (Indictments, Requests for extradition, Warrant for Arrest) regarding cyber crime,
I strongly recommend to all my colleagues NOT to respond to these "offers". By responding, you acknowledge that your email account is active and the crooks may hack into it and send malware from your account, without your knowledge or consent. It is one of their modus operandi for "phishing"

Good luck,
Lee
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A new scam

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »