Thread poster: Marlene Curtis
Marlene Curtis
Marlene Curtis  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:42
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Jul 21, 2012

A project manager of a prestigious Proz-registered translation agency called me yesterday to offer me a legal translations job.

She said someone stole my CV (copied it from my Proz Profile and removed the contact details such as phone number, email address and physical address) and is posing as Marlene Curtis. She got suspicious when the phone number he/she gave her did not match my real phone number in my Proz CV.

This person is located in Israel and said his/her phon
... See more
A project manager of a prestigious Proz-registered translation agency called me yesterday to offer me a legal translations job.

She said someone stole my CV (copied it from my Proz Profile and removed the contact details such as phone number, email address and physical address) and is posing as Marlene Curtis. She got suspicious when the phone number he/she gave her did not match my real phone number in my Proz CV.

This person is located in Israel and said his/her phone number is 009725996208036.

I have deleted my CV from my profile and chosen the "CV Upon Request" option, but I am not sure about the professional and financial damage caused so far.

Please, don't post your CV in your profiles.

Marlene Curtis
English to Portuguese and Portuguese to English Translator
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 11:42
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Inform the site staff immediately Jul 21, 2012

Hi Marlene,

Please submit a support request and provide as much information as you have. The thief should be stopped.

Natalia

Sandra & Kenneth Grossman
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 12:42
French to English
+ ...
Local area code 059 Jul 21, 2012

I tried to locate this phone number:
972 - country code
059 - area code (0 is the trunk no.)
According to Wikipedia, the local area code of this phone number (059) is used in the Palestinian Authority:

059 XXX XXXX – Mobile (Jawwal, in the Palestinian territories)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telephone_numbers_in_Israel
<
... See more
I tried to locate this phone number:
972 - country code
059 - area code (0 is the trunk no.)
According to Wikipedia, the local area code of this phone number (059) is used in the Palestinian Authority:

059 XXX XXXX – Mobile (Jawwal, in the Palestinian territories)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telephone_numbers_in_Israel

or this one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telephone_numbers_in_the_Palestinian_territories

Obviously, I couldn't find the number in local directories or in "reverse look-up".

Also, the number seemed to have too many digits.

[Edited at 2012-07-21 20:25 GMT]
Collapse

Marlene Curtis
United States
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sangro Jul 21, 2012

Thank you!

I found out it is a cell phone number. I tried to call it by SkyPe yesterday, but it was disconnected, since it was 3:00 AM in the morning in Israel.

I will try again.

Marlene

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 06:42
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Scam by impersonation Jul 21, 2012

This is most probably a scam by impersonation as described in the article on Scammers who steal translations.

Marlene has submitted a support request and we will try to pinpoint this operation in order to submit a scam alert report.

Regards,
Enrique

Tony M
Tony M
France
Local time: 11:42
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
I suffered a similar problem Jul 22, 2012

Recently, another ProZ.com member stole a large part of my profile text and my client testimonials; the site has clearly brought some pressure to bear on this member to modify their profile, but my personal information has been (and remains) published on their external website.

When I tried to complain about this member, it was I who was punished — yet I am the party who has been wronged!!!

BTW, do also be wary of the so-called 'translation agencies' on the web who co
... See more
Recently, another ProZ.com member stole a large part of my profile text and my client testimonials; the site has clearly brought some pressure to bear on this member to modify their profile, but my personal information has been (and remains) published on their external website.

When I tried to complain about this member, it was I who was punished — yet I am the party who has been wronged!!!

BTW, do also be wary of the so-called 'translation agencies' on the web who copy people's CVs from ProZ.com (and other translators' websites) — I found out quite by chance that I was listed as an associate translator by a company of whom I have never heard.

I think it's important for everyone to "be careful out there!"

BTW (2) I have also received some dubious communications from someone who did not say where they were,,. but turned out (apparently) to have a Palestine IP address — I did not waste time investigating further, but suspected some kind of scam, or at least doubtful business practices. As soon as someone fails to give, or is reluctant to give when asked, basic contact information about their company, then that always sounds warning bells for me.

[Edited at 2012-07-22 00:15 GMT]
Collapse

Arabic & More
Arabic & More  Identity Verified
Jordan
Arabic to English
+ ...
Copyright Infringement Jul 22, 2012

Tony,
If you want this person to remove the stolen text from their website, you should contact their ISP with evidence of the infringement. In most cases, the ISP will take immediate action. Before doing this, you may wish to contact the infringer with a cease-and-desist letter that is similar to the following:

http://www.rightsforartists.com/examcease.html

A
... See more
Tony,
If you want this person to remove the stolen text from their website, you should contact their ISP with evidence of the infringement. In most cases, the ISP will take immediate action. Before doing this, you may wish to contact the infringer with a cease-and-desist letter that is similar to the following:

http://www.rightsforartists.com/examcease.html

Although the above letter deals with graphics, you can modify it to discuss texts.
Collapse

Marlene Curtis
United States
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
STOLEN CV Jul 22, 2012

I have asked the translation company to send me the scammer's details (email address, IP address, etc., i.e. the headings). So far she has only provided his/her phone number.

Marlene

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

STOLEN CV

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »