Tony M
France
Local time: 16:30
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
The point... Jul 27, 2012

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

What's the point of stealing/copying someone else's CV?

The whole point is that by stealing them, they can very quickly and painlessly obtain plausible, well-written, impressive CVs that will attract customers to their agency; they will then, of course, give the resulting floods of work out to the lowest bidder; who cares, tough on the poor old customer — except that, of course, the inferior quality of the work will inevitably, even if only subliminally, reflect on the person whose CV it was (assuming they were named, of course)

In my own case, the information that was stolen was used to make a young, inexperienced (and as it turns out, pretty hopeless!) translator look like someone with a much longer and more impressive track record (i.e. ME!) — and this was born out by the plagiarism of my customer testimonials; I of course was able to provide documentary proof of their genuineness, but oddly enough, the plagiarist, when challenged, simply threatened me with legal action! She was of course totally unable to provide any legitimate proof for her 'stolen' testimonials.

[Edited at 2012-07-27 17:02 GMT]

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 11:30
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Still makes no sense to me Jul 27, 2012

Tony M wrote:
The whole point is that by stealing them, they can very quickly and painlessly obtain plausible, well-written, impressive CVs that will attract customers to their agency; they will then, of course, give the resulting floods of work out to the lowest bidder; who cares, tough on the poor old customer — except that, of course, the inferior quality of the work will inevitably, even if only subliminally, reflect on the person whose CV it was (assuming they were named, of course)

All right, many agencies around the world have my CV. So they can show their clients the kind of translators who apparently work for them. Of course, they'll cover my name and contact details so the end-client won't be able to contact me directly. Some of them might get the job, hire cheap labor to do it, and deliver the crap they got. Any end-client gullible enough to pay for that should be sending money to Nigerian scammers instead.

Tony M wrote:
In my own case, the information that was stolen was used to make a young, inexperienced (and as it turns out, pretty hopeless!) translator look like someone with a much longer and more impressive track record (i.e. ME!) — and this was born out by the plagiarism of my customer testimonials; I of course was able to provide documentary proof of their genuineness, but oddly enough, the plagiarist, when challenged, simply threatened me with legal action! She was of course totally unable to provide any legitimate proof for her 'stolen' testimonials.

What a pity she didn't sue you!

I'd wish I could fly there and buy tickets to watch this hearing, even if I had to resort to my lame French, and without subtitles. It might have been be more amusing than most spectator sports.

Bottom line is that any outsourcer should be doing their due diligence, that's what part of their markup is intended for. CVs should only serve as the very first screening criterion, and as a guide for what questions to ask on the next step. Anyone selecting professionals based solely on what's in a CV should save time, and hire the lowest rate they can find.

Tony M
Tony M
France
Local time: 16:30
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
But what is important is how it affects the VICTIM Jul 27, 2012

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

Bottom line is that any outsourcer should be doing their due diligence, that's what part of their markup is intended for.

Yes, of course, we're both agreed that it is a situation of caveat outsourcer — but this doesn't alter the fact that the 'victim' (i.e. the person whose CV is stolen) could find themselves with their professional reputation besmirched IF the villain copies their NAME, which is exactly what happened to me a few years back; it was only by chance that I found some eastern agency was claiming I worked for them, and it took a great deal of effort and lobbying by others to get my own and several other people's profiles removed from their site.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Ref: My previous posting on STOLEN CV

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »