Working via VM to connect to translation web?
Thread poster: Martin Fernandez Cufre
Martin Fernandez Cufre
Martin Fernandez Cufre  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 00:50
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 29, 2013

Hi, I'd like to see if anyone can help me regarding a job I'm starting to work in and which is causing increasing suspicion in me regarding the possibility that it might be a scam.

I accepted this job with Globalwise, a company which doesn't have the best reputation, because it is supposedly partnered with Alpha CRC, which seems to be a solid localization company, for the translation of a well-known online role-playing videogame ("MMORPG" as they are known). They have given me a wor
... See more
Hi, I'd like to see if anyone can help me regarding a job I'm starting to work in and which is causing increasing suspicion in me regarding the possibility that it might be a scam.

I accepted this job with Globalwise, a company which doesn't have the best reputation, because it is supposedly partnered with Alpha CRC, which seems to be a solid localization company, for the translation of a well-known online role-playing videogame ("MMORPG" as they are known). They have given me a work protocol which is INCREDIBLY annoying and which yields a very low productivity both to me (the translator) and indeed, to the company, because daily translation rates go very low.

They instructed me to connect via Remote Desktop to a virtual machine, and from the desktop of that virtual machine (which I think is located in the UK), to connect to the actual web site created by the company which made the game, to translate it to different languages. But as I'm connecting from very far away (Argentina) and actually I'm connecting using a 3G USB modem on my laptop from a relatively remote countryside area and connection speeds are low, remote desktop is very very very impractical, each screen refresh takes about 4 seconds and translating under these circumstances is very impractical.

Maybe you can advise me on whether this kind of work setup (via a VM to another web site) is common, or anything about Globalwise and/or Alpha CRC, because I'm getting worried, as I don't have any proof of my work since all files are kept in that web.

Thank you very much!!

Martin F.C.
Collapse

Shai Navé
Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 01:50
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Avoid unnecessary risks Jan 29, 2013

In my opinion, your post actually holds the answer to your question.
There is really no need to take unnecessary risks or to accept terms and conditions, or work in an environment, that you are uncomfortable with.

In your post you raised all the CONs (rates, working environment, questionable reputation) for not going forward, but even not one PRO. This alone speaks volumes.

As for the working arrangement. You don't have to hold the actual work files on your comput
... See more
In my opinion, your post actually holds the answer to your question.
There is really no need to take unnecessary risks or to accept terms and conditions, or work in an environment, that you are uncomfortable with.

In your post you raised all the CONs (rates, working environment, questionable reputation) for not going forward, but even not one PRO. This alone speaks volumes.

As for the working arrangement. You don't have to hold the actual work files on your computer to prove that you have worked on it, you just need a Work Order (or PO or a Service order, etc.) that you MUST insist on receiving before starting to do any work.
That being said, the setup that you have described is very weird, to say the least. To me it raises some major red flags.

Also, the fact that the party you come into agreement with claims to allegedly work with another, more well-known, party does not mean anything and should not affect your due diligence and decision. Your agreement is with a specific party and if that party fails to meet their obligations you don't have any legal ground to claim anything from whichever other third-party that was supposedly also involved in the project.

My advice, don't go forward with this.

[Edited at 2013-01-29 23:39 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Working via VM to connect to translation web?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »