thuy do
thuy do  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 23:31
Vietnamese to English
+ ...
Mar 14, 2013

Dear
First, I want to send you my regards. I hope you will have a nice day!
My name is Do Thi Thuy, translator from Vietnam. I want to tell you something and I really need helps.
I work for a Belgium translation agency on a manual project. He promised to pay me 3 months after I delivered the translation. Therefore, he should pay me the amount of 700 EUR by the end of Feb, 2013. I give some calls to his office, but he just try to hide from me. His staff do not know where he is.
... See more
Dear
First, I want to send you my regards. I hope you will have a nice day!
My name is Do Thi Thuy, translator from Vietnam. I want to tell you something and I really need helps.
I work for a Belgium translation agency on a manual project. He promised to pay me 3 months after I delivered the translation. Therefore, he should pay me the amount of 700 EUR by the end of Feb, 2013. I give some calls to his office, but he just try to hide from me. His staff do not know where he is. I also sent him emails, but I have not got any reply to make payment via Paypal as he promised. I have no way but leave a complaint about his attitude on his BlueBoard. Also, I changed my email address and sent him a last email, told him if he still kept hiding, I have to call for legal help. He was immediately replied and admitted that he are not willing to pay me. He said I defamed him on ProZ (while so many negative comments from others translator there and he also was banned to post job). He said he would cut down on sum I deserve to receive. Of course, I did not agree as I work very hard on this, 80 pages in 4 - 5days and I also have to outsource for others translator. He said I could call whomever I want but he will not pay enough. And after 11/3, he said he wont pay me and that true, he did not reply to any email.
700 EUR is a big money and I want everything to be clear with him.
I call for your help urgently. If you can not involve in this, please indicate someone who can I depend on, such as police ( in Sint-Amands, Belgium), competent orgs, etc. I really appreciate that.
Looking forward to hearing from you soon!
Collapse

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 18:31
German to Swedish
+ ...
EU small claims procedure Mar 14, 2013

http://www.eccbelgium.be/20110621/the-european-small-claims-procedure-Attach_s67151.pdf
http://europa.eu/legislation_summaries/consumers/protection_of_consumers/l16028_en.htm

Marie-Helene Dubois
Marie-Helene Dubois  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
what about this Mar 14, 2013

perhaps you could cut him a deal:

Write him an e-mail saying that you consider that you've waited long enough for payment for the job (specify the job details) and that you consider that you've made all the requests for payment stipulated by law.

Tell him that you have written a note on Proz about his payment practices and that you are keeping all of your colleagues informed via various media on your dealings with him and his agency.

Give him 5 working da
... See more
perhaps you could cut him a deal:

Write him an e-mail saying that you consider that you've waited long enough for payment for the job (specify the job details) and that you consider that you've made all the requests for payment stipulated by law.

Tell him that you have written a note on Proz about his payment practices and that you are keeping all of your colleagues informed via various media on your dealings with him and his agency.

Give him 5 working days to make the full payment and state that you will rectify the comment and update your colleagues when he does (you don't need to eliminate your comment on the Blue Board, just edit it to state that you have now been paid after making the comment on the Blue Board).

Let him know that failure to do so will lead you to seek legal action against him personally and against his company for breach of agreement.

Then wait 5 days and see what happens. You'd be surprised how effective this is. It's easier for you and him to solve this matter outside the courts and once he sees that you're serious, he may reconsider his position.

I'm so sorry that this has happened to you. It's horrible when there are payment problems but every company has to deal with this at some point in their working lives so it's just a case of setting out a procedure and hoping it works!

Good luck!
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 17:31
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Another route... Mar 14, 2013

http://001yourtranslationservice.com/translating/Payment-Reputation-of-Translation-Agencies.html

thuy do
thuy do  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 23:31
Vietnamese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks all Mar 15, 2013

Dear friends
At last, he contacted me and we worked this out this morning.
Thank you so much for your help!!
Wish you all happy

Marie-Helene Dubois
Marie-Helene Dubois  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Great Mar 15, 2013

Well done! That must be a relief

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Deal with non-payer agency, pls HELP!!

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »