Thread poster: Kevin Fulton
Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:57
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Telltale signs Mar 19, 2013

I was also honoured to hear from Mr/Ms Arnall, albeit via Proz mail rather than Gmail.

I also suspected a scam; albeit wondered what was meant with "so I can tell the client and you will work with him directly" (unless he/she wanted me to pay some kind of introductory fee).

Apart from the quality of the English, the odd aspects were:

◕ "Years of translation experience: 8. Registered at ProZ.com: Mar 2013. Became a member: Mar 2013" Fresh out of jail?... See more
I was also honoured to hear from Mr/Ms Arnall, albeit via Proz mail rather than Gmail.

I also suspected a scam; albeit wondered what was meant with "so I can tell the client and you will work with him directly" (unless he/she wanted me to pay some kind of introductory fee).

◕ "Years of translation experience: 8. Registered at ProZ.com: Mar 2013. Became a member: Mar 2013" Fresh out of jail?

◕ (2 hrs ahead of you) Which puts them where???

Chris
Collapse

Barbara L Pavlik
Barbara L Pavlik  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:57
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
The point of it Mar 19, 2013

I think the "so I can tell the client and you will work with him directly" means that he is planning to lure the client with your CV, and with your assistance (you are telling the client you will work with him directly), and then either you never get the job and the scammer just rips off the direct client, or you get the job and never get paid for it. Either way, I would not respond to this email.

Paul Skidmore
Paul Skidmore  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:57
German to English
I suspected a scam too Mar 19, 2013

The message I received simply did not "add up" as a legitimate communication from a purported native speaker of English with 8 years of experience in the business.

Some deceit or other is clearly planned with this. I have also reported this profile to ProZ for investigation.

Paul

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 03:57
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Experienced translator with a fresh profile Mar 19, 2013

Textklick wrote:
◕ "Years of translation experience: 8. Registered at ProZ.com: Mar 2013. Became a member: Mar 2013" Fresh out of jail?

A translator may have 8 years of professional experience and have discovered (or decided to register at) ProZ.com right now. I don't think this apparent inconsistency is relevant.

A freshly created profile is always more likely to be a scammer than an old profile, of course.

Regards,
Enrique

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Yet another scam sent via Proz

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »