New scam attempt (F... M... purporting to be [a legitimate plastics manufacturer])
Thread poster: Tony M
Tony M
Tony M
France
Local time: 22:45
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Sep 29, 2013

I today (Sunday!) received the message below via my profile page. I am totally convinced it is a scam, even though the actual plastics company does exist and appears to be perfectly legitimate. On their www, they do not give any such e-mail address, there is just a contact form. The reply e-mail address given seems an extremely unlikely one for this company to be using. I have written to the company concerned to alert them to the fact that their company name is being associated with a scam attem... See more
I today (Sunday!) received the message below via my profile page. I am totally convinced it is a scam, even though the actual plastics company does exist and appears to be perfectly legitimate. On their www, they do not give any such e-mail address, there is just a contact form. The reply e-mail address given seems an extremely unlikely one for this company to be using. I have written to the company concerned to alert them to the fact that their company name is being associated with a scam attempt.

Because of forum rules, I am not allowed to publish specific identifying information etc. here, but please don't hesitate to contact me privately for details.

-----------
You have been sent a message via ProZ.com.
Author: F.... M... [NOTE: The author is not a registered ProZ.com user or was not logged in when sending this message.]
Author's IP address: 204.12.xxx.x [the IP address given seems to be that of a server in Kansas, USA]
Message type: Job-related
-----------

[Name of legitimate plastics company]

[Company blurb lifted from their website]

JOB DESCRIPTION:

We are opening a branch office in your location soon, but before we do that, we require the service of a part-time worker who speaks english, as we currently have a good number of clients that we need to provide our service to. Some of the services that will be required of you are stated below.

Goods inspection and report, note and give report on condition of goods on delivery to customers (guidelines will be provided on every assignment of goods inspection).
In some cases our customers will make payments to us through you once you are approved, as our correspondent, you will be required to act on instructions , you will remit payment, hold the company's funds and attend to some clients services as the case may be. You will receive payment through either electronic means or otherwise depending on what our clients decide to use and act on instruction from
our officer.
In view of these services in which you will render, you will be paid an entry sum of $2500 monthly and for every payment you receive on our behalf you will receive $350 for logistics.
If you are interested you are required to reply to this email as soon as you receive it with the following information for assessment as limited spaces are available for the position.

NOTE: You may receive upto 2 or 3 assignments weekly.

IF INTERESTED, EMAIL US THE FOLLOWING DETAILS:

Full Name :
Contact Address :
Mobile Phone Number :

Thanks as we await your quick response to [email protected]

Thanks,
F.... M...
[Company Name]
[Company Address]
http://www.[company url].com

-----------
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:45
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Telltale phrase Sep 29, 2013

The telltale phrase is "in your location" - it means they don't know who you are or where you are, and that this message has been sent at random to who knows how many recipients. I would trash it without even bothering to read to the end.

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:45
German to English
Payment forwarding scam Sep 29, 2013

This one has been around for a while. It's a variant on the overpayment scam. You agree to accept payments on behalf of the "client". You receive a check for a large amount of money, get to keep a percentage and forward the rest (from your bank account) to the "client". Whoops, it turns out that the... See more
This one has been around for a while. It's a variant on the overpayment scam. You agree to accept payments on behalf of the "client". You receive a check for a large amount of money, get to keep a percentage and forward the rest (from your bank account) to the "client". Whoops, it turns out that the check you received is bogus ...
http://scamvictimsunited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3827
Collapse

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Indeed, Kevin — but maybe a new variant? Sep 29, 2013

Kevin Fulton wrote:

This one has been around for a while. It's a variant on the overpayment scam.

Yes, indeed, it is easy to see where it is leading!

However, what stopped me short was the fact that they had actually had the temerity to hide it behind the details of a real company with verifiable credentials — I've not personally come across that particular twist before. I suppose they work on the basis that the vast majority of people would simply reply to the e-mail, rather than phone or write a letter to the real company.

David Goward
David Goward  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Same here Sep 29, 2013

Hi Tony

I got this email too but, curiously, the amounts differ slightly (EUR 2500 and EUR 400 respectively).

Other than this detail, it seems to be exactly the same.

All the best

David

nrichy (X)
nrichy (X)
France
French to Dutch
+ ...
Not only overpayment, Sep 29, 2013

"our customers will make payments to us through you "

money laundering.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Approved overpayment Sep 30, 2013

Well, so now the scammers want to first approve you as their correspondent before you are elegible to fall victim to their overpayment scam.

Are they slacking or trying to be funny?

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Received again, this time from J.... T... Sep 30, 2013

Same scam received again, identical text and details, but from a different sender, and with different text in the 'Subject' line. The IP address was also completely different; this time, that of a cable system in NY state, USA.

Apparently I am told this doesn't appear to be a mass mailing, but it looks as though there are maybe one or two just trickling through, so best to be on your guard.

Keep safe, everyone!

[Edited at 2013-09-30 06:04 GMT]

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Not really 'money laundering' Sep 30, 2013

nrichy wrote:

Not only overpayment

"our customers will make payments to us through you "

money laundering.

Not really, I don't think, nrichy — the whole point is that the incoming payment is totally fake, so there is no 'real' incoming money to launder in the first place!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New scam attempt (F... M... purporting to be [a legitimate plastics manufacturer])

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »