New bank details scam
Thread poster: Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 04:17
French to English
Oct 22, 2013

A partner of mine in Asia was recently affected by this scam, which I had never heard of before, so I thought I'd warn fellow translators and agencies.

The partner's email was "hacked", and the hackers sent out emails to the partner's customers (from their address book), explaining that they recently changed their bank details and to send all transfers to the new bank account instead of the old bank account.

Of course, the "new bank account" belonged to the hackers!... See more
A partner of mine in Asia was recently affected by this scam, which I had never heard of before, so I thought I'd warn fellow translators and agencies.

The partner's email was "hacked", and the hackers sent out emails to the partner's customers (from their address book), explaining that they recently changed their bank details and to send all transfers to the new bank account instead of the old bank account.

Of course, the "new bank account" belonged to the hackers!

Thankfully, one of my partner's customers felt "funny" about the email and alerted them to the problem... and the scammers got no money.

The reason the customer felt funny about it was because the email from the hackers was written in bad English. So please, be wary and suspicious - and keep your email login details safe!
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 03:17
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Thank you, Lori! Oct 22, 2013

I will be more wary than usual...

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Thank you for sharing Oct 22, 2013

This could be a big problem....

Best regards

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Thanks Oct 22, 2013

Lori Cirefice wrote:

Of course, the "new bank account" belonged to the hackers!

Thankfully, one of my partner's customers felt "funny" about the email and alerted them to the problem... and the scammers got no money.

The reason the customer felt funny about it was because the email from the hackers was written in bad English. So please, be wary and suspicious - and keep your email login details safe!

Thanks for the warning- although it's doubtful that a customer or bank would just accept an email asking them to shift everything over to another bank. There is always a process you have to go through. Your scammer sounds like a 14-year-old amateur working in his/her bedroom !

I recently wanted an Italian client to change payments to me from my old bank to my new bank. It took weeks of writing snail-mail letters, telephone calls to check my identity, etc. I had to provide the details of (a) my old bank and (b) my new bank.

It's doubtful (for instance) that your schoolboy/schoolgirl hacker would be able to get the details of the old bank account.

Nevertheless, care is always necessary - so thanks.

[Edited at 2013-10-22 16:26 GMT]

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Not always, Tom! Oct 22, 2013

Tom in London wrote:

... although it's doubtful that a customer or bank would just accept an email asking them to shift everything over to another bank. There is always a process you have to go through.

I have many customers who pay me by bank credit transfer, and I have occasionally had to ask them to change the account to be credited; on not one occasion has anyone queried it!

When I invoice, stipulating a wire transfer as the payment method, I always say "using the bank details you already have on file"; I think my customers are sufficiently vigilant to alert me if there should have been a change requested in between invoices — but you never can be sure!

So getting one's e-mail account hacked is a worrying scenario — again, disturbingly common using the 'free' e-mail providers (it's happened TWICE to one of my friends!)

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
"Free" email providers Oct 22, 2013

Tony M wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

... although it's doubtful that a customer or bank would just accept an email asking them to shift everything over to another bank. There is always a process you have to go through.

I have many customers who pay me by bank credit transfer, and I have occasionally had to ask them to change the account to be credited; on not one occasion has anyone queried it!

When I invoice, stipulating a wire transfer as the payment method, I always say "using the bank details you already have on file"; I think my customers are sufficiently vigilant to alert me if there should have been a change requested in between invoices — but you never can be sure!

So getting one's e-mail account hacked is a worrying scenario — again, disturbingly common using the 'free' e-mail providers (it's happened TWICE to one of my friends!)

Yes Tony - that could be a worry, I suppose. I always specify my bank details on every invoice and I never send off invoices using gmail or hotmail etc. Still......(worried look)...

Another safeguard would be not to use Outlook, since presumably that's where the email addresses are stolen from. Hackers always seem to head straight for the Outlook address book, since stealing email addresses is also the most obvious way to spread a virus.

I have just been into my gmail account and have deleted all the addresses of people who might be paying me (translation agencies etc.)

[Edited at 2013-10-22 16:44 GMT]

Lori Cirefice
France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Not free email Oct 22, 2013

This partner actually has their own domain - they switched over from gmail early this year. Only one email address in the company was affected, apparently. I don't know if they use outlook or not.

Lori Cirefice
France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Michelin lost 1.6 million € in a similar scam Nov 4, 2014

http://lci.tf1.fr/economie/entreprise/michelin-victime-d-une-escroquerie-de-1-6-million-d-euros-8512587.html

For those of you who read French, I just happened to see this today - Michelin has apparently become the victim of a scam very similar to the one I described above.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New bank details scam

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »