Thread poster: Preston Decker
Preston Decker
Preston Decker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:26
Chinese to English
Oct 26, 2013

SOMETHING SEEMS WRONG ABOUT THIS ONE, ANYONE ELSE SEEN IT?:
I'm Alan based in Lafayette, Louisiana Can the attached document be translated English to Chinese before 21st of November 2013. if yes kindly get back to me with the details below: including your direct cell number.

If you cant do it, please give it to your friend that can do it for me and let me know charges.

1-Rates and Charges

2-Years of Experience

3-Your Website Lo
... See more
SOMETHING SEEMS WRONG ABOUT THIS ONE, ANYONE ELSE SEEN IT?:
I'm Alan based in Lafayette, Louisiana Can the attached document be translated English to Chinese before 21st of November 2013. if yes kindly get back to me with the details below: including your direct cell number.

If you cant do it, please give it to your friend that can do it for me and let me know charges.

1-Rates and Charges

2-Years of Experience

3-Your Website Looking forward to read back from you.

AND THE FOLLOW-UP EMAIL:

Thanks for the swift response.Am okay with the charges and i hope it will be well prepared. Kindly get back to me with the information below,so that i can instruct my secretary to have the Check Payment issue on your name and posted to you asap....

1-Your Full Name

2-Your Full Address with Postal Code

3-Your cell phone number

Note that you will not release document not until you have the payment.
Collapse

Antinea2013
Antinea2013  Identity Verified
United States
Yes, probably a scam Oct 26, 2013

Dear Preston,

Thank you so much for posting this: I just received the same email (except English into French). Since the writing did look slightly better than the average scam, I was almost tempted to reply but, on a hunch, googled the sentence "I'm Alan based in Lafayette" which brought me straight to your post.

I never use Proz but I must say that it came in handy today;-)

Anne

Preston Decker
United States
Chinese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Still not sure either... Oct 27, 2013

I had pretty much the same thoughts as you, which is why I posted here. The sender replied back a third time, which is unusual for a scammer, so I'm still not entirely sure this is a scam. My translation partner and I have told him/her that there we'll need to talk by phone with him/her and also have him/her agree to send a first payment to Paypal after completing the first 500 words before agreeing to the project. Will let you know if we hear anything else from him/her, but doubt we will.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:26
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Could be a scam Oct 27, 2013

Preston Decker wrote:

I had pretty much the same thoughts as you, which is why I posted here. The sender replied back a third time, which is unusual for a scammer, so I'm still not entirely sure this is a scam. My translation partner and I have told him/her that there we'll need to talk by phone with him/her and also have him/her agree to send a first payment to Paypal after completing the first 500 words before agreeing to the project. Will let you know if we hear anything else from him/her, but doubt we will.

Hi Preston,

based on the fact that you have thought it necessary to post this offer here, and also based on Antinea's feelings, you might be inclined to follow this simple rule: if it looks and feels like a scam, it most probably is a scam.

If you are interested in this job, also because this Alan has agreed to your rate right away, you might want to obtain company details from him (or her?). If s/he is a private person, then you should perhzaps go by your gut feeling. Better safe than scammed.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 05:26
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I have just found a very similar text to yours Oct 27, 2013

Please check this:

http://www.nettracing.com/Used_Page_Scams.htm
and
http://antifraudintl.org/archive/index.php/t-73214.html

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...

Preston Decker
United States
Chinese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 27, 2013

Thanks Thayenga for the thoughts. Agree with you, and doubt we'll hear anything back from him/her anyways.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:26
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
As intended :) Oct 28, 2013

Preston Decker wrote:

Thanks Thayenga for the thoughts. Agree with you, and doubt we'll hear anything back from him/her anyways.

You're very welcome, Preston. Never hearing from them again is your intention, right?

If there were no scammers, what a wonderful world this would be.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New Scam?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »