NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 03:43
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Miller Darrell Sep 22, 2006

His very moniker is suspicious: Shouldn't it be Darrell Miller?

Plus I like that he needs an interpreter from Eastern Europe for a pow-wow on the Eastern Seabord of the US.

Yeah...

Nancy

Maria Baquero
Maria Baquero  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
The clergy from Ghana is back Oct 1, 2006

"Hi ,
I am Dr Leslie Iwu Mada and I am an English speaking clergy from Ghana. I will be coming over to USA on holidays from 20th of October to the 4th of November 2006 for a 15 days Vacation with my wife, alongside my kids of the ages of 3 and 5 respectively.

We will require your services as an English interpreter for 7 hours daily, 12noon to 7pm, though this could be very flexibly, for 14 days. As I will not always be with them on most occasions due to other seminars/conf
... See more
"Hi ,
I am Dr Leslie Iwu Mada and I am an English speaking clergy from Ghana. I will be coming over to USA on holidays from 20th of October to the 4th of November 2006 for a 15 days Vacation with my wife, alongside my kids of the ages of 3 and 5 respectively.

We will require your services as an English interpreter for 7 hours daily, 12noon to 7pm, though this could be very flexibly, for 14 days. As I will not always be with them on most occasions due to other seminars/conference which I will be attending. We will like to pay in advance of our visit so she can be assured of an interpreter during her shopping and sightseeing because this is her first visit to USA.

An early reply will be appreciated. Please acknowledge if you can offer this service ASAP and give me a price quote, and it is most important, you immediately call me on my direct line (00 233 244 033 930) as soon as you receive this email, so we can conclude on all other arrangements ASAP, as time is not really on our side.

Direct Line: 00 233 244 033 930

Remain Blessed,
Dr Leslie Iwu Mada"

I received this email this morning. Please be aware...
Maria
Collapse

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Why, that two-timing so-and-so!! Oct 1, 2006

He's cheating on me with you, eh?

I know he is, even though he gave you a different name.

It was the "this could be very flexibly" and "time is not on our side" that gave him away.

Sorry Maria, he sent me a note first, this morning, telling me he's coming to *Canada* on those very same dates! Hm...how can he need us both at the same time?

Also, there are 48 states on the continent,
... See more
He's cheating on me with you, eh?

I know he is, even though he gave you a different name.

It was the "this could be very flexibly" and "time is not on our side" that gave him away.

Sorry Maria, he sent me a note first, this morning, telling me he's coming to *Canada* on those very same dates! Hm...how can he need us both at the same time?

Also, there are 48 states on the continent, plus 10 provinces and 3 territories. Just where exactly is he spending his holiday, hm?

Nancy
Collapse

annamzmz
annamzmz
Local time: 09:43
English to Spanish
Micro Chip meeting in Madrid Oct 6, 2006

Hello, I am not too sure if I am losing it or not, if I am exagerating or not.. but for the last few days I have been receiving emails from a yahoo.com addressee... the company name (Booth Consult) does not seem to exist and Donald Haraksin´s English is so poor that it confuses me.... I think this is scam, what do you think?. Please, have a look at the mails he has been sending me...
Thanks
Anna

Thank you for the quick response.
You will be picked up f
... See more
Hello, I am not too sure if I am losing it or not, if I am exagerating or not.. but for the last few days I have been receiving emails from a yahoo.com addressee... the company name (Booth Consult) does not seem to exist and Donald Haraksin´s English is so poor that it confuses me.... I think this is scam, what do you think?. Please, have a look at the mails he has been sending me...
Thanks
Anna

Thank you for the quick response.
You will be picked up from the airport so you need not bother yourself about the taxi, all you have to do is keep to time.
Like I said before all you have to do is interpret from the mouth of the executives, even though I will try to get you what you required it is not a promise though.
Half payment will be sent to you, kindly send these information to me, your full name and address, your telephone number, your information as it is on your travelling document so as to facilitate your travelling ticket (if need be).
I will have almost the total amount you will need send to you, that is for lodging, transportation and feeding. Please you will deduct your interpretation fee and send the rest back to the Manager in Charge of this account so as to facilitate your ticket and hotel bills. We are making this arragement because our client has informed us that a one time payment will be paid before the interpretation job, and because we are not in USA presently we can not process it from China.
So kindly send the information I requested to me.
Thank you.
Donald Haraksin
Booth Consult

Thank you for your quick response, first off all, it is not a conference that you will be interpreting at, but an executive meeting of two different companies.
You do not need any manual from us as there is none anyway. You will only interpret from the mouth of the speakers straight as they speak.
I can tell you that I myself do not know the topic of discussion for the meeting. We are a consult firm, we are in charge of logistics only. From the side of my client there will be 2 interpreters, but you will be made to fit into the setting like one of the visiting executive.
The meeting is expected to end on Saturday so Sunday is not included, but should there for any reason be an extension, you will be paid accordinly.The meetings are expected to take place between 11 am to 3 pm each day.
We can include breakfast if only I know how much the air fare is from where you are coming from.

Dear
I would have replied you earlier than this but I travelled to China in preparation to the job at hand.
You will be translating for a micro chip thechnology company. You are expected to be in Madrid on Sunday 5th of November and the engagemant will last a whole week. There will be adequate preparation for you in the city of Madrid.
Also I want you to calculate a week's engagement at 4 hours per day and let me know how much it comes down to.
Also let me know the exact town/city that you will be coming from so that adequate preparation can be made for you.
Please we are offering 40 Euro per hour, plus hotel accomodation, transportation and lunch.
Thank you.
Donald Haraksin
Booth Consult

[Editado a las 2006-10-06 15:58]
Collapse

Ulrike Lieder (X)
Ulrike Lieder (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:43
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Microchips in Madrid or clergy all over the place - don't fall for it! Oct 8, 2006

I will have almost the total amount you will need send to you, that is for lodging, transportation and feeding. Please you will deduct your interpretation fee and send the rest back to the Manager in Charge of this account so as to facilitate your ticket and hotel bills.

Anna, there's your answer right there -- they send more than what your fees would amount to, and ask that you send the excess amount to someone, somewhere. By the time your bank discovers that the check you deposited is forged, you've already sent your good money. And your bank holds you responsible for the forged check as well. So you're throwing good money after bad. This is the old Nigerian scam.

The following link gets you to an article about a psychotherapist in Massachusetts who actually fell for the Nigerian e-mail scam, even though one would think he should have known better, given his background. It's a true morality tale and at least IMHO, makes for very interesting reading:

http://tinyurl.com/zdfzm

[Edited at 2006-10-08 00:48]

annamzmz
annamzmz
English to Spanish
It is scam! Oct 8, 2006

Thanks Ulrike.

Yes, you are right and yes, I have received over 10 mails from other interpreters who have been in the same situation. I don´t really know how to inform other people.

A couple of hours ago I received another mail from him. He calls me sir when my name is widely known as being a woman´s (Anna), he also copies and pastes the same phrases without responding to any of my questions... and I wonder if I should wait to receive the cheque in order to go to the
... See more
Thanks Ulrike.

Yes, you are right and yes, I have received over 10 mails from other interpreters who have been in the same situation. I don´t really know how to inform other people.

A couple of hours ago I received another mail from him. He calls me sir when my name is widely known as being a woman´s (Anna), he also copies and pastes the same phrases without responding to any of my questions... and I wonder if I should wait to receive the cheque in order to go to the police and try to trace him. The time which appears in the email is -7 hours,.. so it must be somewhere in the USA??... Anyway, enjoy the reading and thanks again for your colaboration.

No sir, I do not need your bank details.
I am happy to inform you that you have already been picked for the interpretation job.
Your payment will be sent to you, as a cheque, kindly send these information to me, your full name and address, your telephone number, your information as it is on your travelling document so as to facilitate your travelling ticket (if need be).
I will have almost the total amount you will need send to you, that is for lodging, transportation and feeding. Please you will deduct your interpretation fee and send the rest back to the Manager in Charge of this account so as to facilitate your ticket and hotel bills. We are making this arragement because our client has informed us that a one time payment will be paid before the interpretation job, and because we are not in USA presently we can not process it from China.
If this is understadable do let me know if I can use the address below for the sending of the cheque, I am still in China, but when I return to UK I will send every necessary papers to you.
So kindly send the information I requested to me.
Thank you.
Collapse

Cristina Moldovan do Amaral
Cristina Moldovan do Amaral  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:43
Member (2002)
English to Romanian
+ ...
He is a professor now :)) Dec 7, 2006

Hello,
I am Professor Edmund Nwanze, the Vice Chancellor of The University of Benin, Benin City, Nigeria. I will be coming over to Scottsdale, AZ on holiday from the 15th of December to the 30th of December 2006 for a 2 week Vacation with my Romanian wife, daughter and son of the ages of 3 and 5 respectively. My wife Rev. Bekky speaks Romanian and my native language, her mum happens to come from Nigeria where she grew up.

We will require the services of a Romanian interprete
... See more
Hello,
I am Professor Edmund Nwanze, the Vice Chancellor of The University of Benin, Benin City, Nigeria. I will be coming over to Scottsdale, AZ on holiday from the 15th of December to the 30th of December 2006 for a 2 week Vacation with my Romanian wife, daughter and son of the ages of 3 and 5 respectively. My wife Rev. Bekky speaks Romanian and my native language, her mum happens to come from Nigeria where she grew up.

We will require the services of a Romanian interpreter for 5 hours, 12 noon to 5pm daily although this might be flexibly based on your availability for 10 days because I will not always be with them on most occasions due to other functions which I must attend.

We will like to pay in advance of our visit so she can be assured of an interpreter during her shopping and sightseeing because this is her first visit to the States. An early reply will be appreciated. Please acknowledge if you can offer this service and give me a price quote, and immediately call me on my direct line (+234-806-751-2063) as soon as you receive this email, so we can conclude on all other arrangements as soon as possible, as time is not really on our side.

Remain Blessed,
Professor Edmund Nwanze,

Vice Chancellor, University of Benin, Benin City
Edo State, Nigeria.

My direct Number: +234-806-751-2063
School Website: http://www.uniben.edu/

I replied. Sorry, I could not help it. I told him that I was going to call the university myself and ask the operator to connect me with him.

He replies and tells me that he is actually the secretary LOL and:

"Suit yourself, that would be better, I would be the person to speak to you first before you can speak with the Vice Chancellor, besides he is not in town at the moment, he calls me everyday and instructs me on what to do, he would never ever speak to you directly i can assure you. I made him trust you, he finds it hard to understand your ways, this means that from past experiences he does not like to deal with you guys over there, he prefares a middle man, his travel agents gave me your infos only to have you act in this way.
I am gravely dissapointed at your incompetence at handling this issue."

LOL

[Edited at 2006-12-07 04:18]
Collapse

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 04:43
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
The scammer is a lawyer now... Jan 13, 2007

Hi all,

I just received a business proposal for 3 weeks of interpreting, 5 hrs per day, by somebody signing himself as Ron Lacey, supposedly a lawyer. Here is the full text...

Hi Gianfranco Manca,

I am Ronald Lacey .I will be coming over to [***city of my previous address***] for a bussiness meeting with my bussiness partners.This will take a period of three weeks.And i will need translation or interpreter from Italian Language into english and will be meeting with them for 5hours everyday.Please will need to know the exact price and what it will cost.I hope to hear from you soon.

Yours faithfully.
Ron Lacey.

This message is clearly a scam for the following reasons:

• Company name: not indicated, this is very suspiciuos

• Dates: not indicated, very suspicious

• I'm not even an interpreter: their offer is very suspicious

• The city is incorrect: I moved from that city,
    they are using old data, very suspicious

• Email address: [email protected],
    it is probably fake or just an anonymous service

• Actual source of the message: IP address 195.166.243.106
    It turns out to be a Nigerian ISP

• Embedded image and link: the email contains an embedded image that needs to be downloaded from the Internet, blocked by my antivirus.

If I accept to display that image, the hit is logged at the site where it is located and the email address is marked as active. It means more spam to come!!
    If you receive similar messages, don't click on any link or image. Even better, setup your email client or antivirus to block embedded images and look at them if you are sure the source is legitimate.

That's all, folks
    Have a nice weekend
    Gianfranco

[Edited at 2007-01-13 20:35]

• Krystal B
    Krystal B
    English to zzz Other zzz
    He's still out there Mar 20, 2007

I was contacted this week to interpret for a deaf man from England. Same thing as I have seen here on your site. He is targeting Sign language interpreters for Business meeting interpreting, and requests 50% of the clients payment be send back to him western union.
    This was my reply:

Hello,
    I am sincerely sorry, but I cannot accept this job or prepare a contract through a third person. There are just too many unanswered questions.
    Why do you want me to send y
    ... See more
    I was contacted this week to interpret for a deaf man from England. Same thing as I have seen here on your site. He is targeting Sign language interpreters for Business meeting interpreting, and requests 50% of the clients payment be send back to him western union.
    This was my reply:

Hello,
    I am sincerely sorry, but I cannot accept this job or prepare a contract through a third person. There are just too many unanswered questions.
    Why do you want me to send you half the money?
    When are the dates of his trip?
    What days am I expected to be available?

I am a reputable interpreter, and cannot accept such a vague job assignment and put my current clientele on hold for two months time for so many unanswered questions.

If you are legitimately searching for an interpreter, I suggest you contact one of the many agencies in the Pittsburgh area.

I do believe it is unreputable to ask a paid professional to send you a fee for a service you are hiring them for. If you wish to contract my services in the future, take out your fees first and send me my quoted fees, Paypal preferred.
    Sincerely,
    Krystal Barbis
    ----- Original Message -----
    To: Krystal
    Sent: Monday, March 19, 2007 2:49 PM
    Subject: Re: translation services/details

Thanks for the email. I called your phone and you did not pick up so send me your cell number. My client would be ready to pay about $100 per hour however this would be split 50:50 between you and me. His location would be in the Pittsburgh area.

My client should know I am making this money off him. Secondly I insisted that over 50% of the money be paid upfront without any room for reimbursement if failure to meet with the contract originates from him.

This is a very big client of mine and is very much equal to the task. As long as you know I would not regret recommending you to him then all fine.

If this is ok by you then prepare a contract for his endorsement. A prepaid cashier check would be sent to you as soon as the deal is finalized. You will be given me 50% of the payment once you receive it. It has to be sent to me via western union,moneygram or TT.

Let me hear from you.

Thanks

Ian

Please beware!!!! This scam is still out there!

Thanks, Krystal

[Edited at 2007-03-20 00:04]
    Collapse

Hanna Dermes
    Hanna Dermes  Identity Verified
    Sweden
    English to Swedish
    + ...
    I received this email today Jun 29, 2010

Hi,
    I am Samuel smith from UK.i am presently in Africa for a
    conference, I will need the service of
    an
    interpreter while i will be coming for a 3days program in
    sweden the service would be for duration of 2hours
    10am-12pm daily from, July22 through July24
    Thursday,2010.

I am not in Sweden and the email came from a yahoo address. My first thought was that it was a scam but I wasn't sure since I'm new to proz.com. (which is also why I didn't r
    ... See more
    Hi,
    I am Samuel smith from UK.i am presently in Africa for a
    conference, I will need the service of
    an
    interpreter while i will be coming for a 3days program in
    sweden the service would be for duration of 2hours
    10am-12pm daily from, July22 through July24
    Thursday,2010.

I am not in Sweden and the email came from a yahoo address. My first thought was that it was a scam but I wasn't sure since I'm new to proz.com. (which is also why I didn't realize that I'm replying to a very old thread...oops!)

[Edited at 2010-06-29 23:04 GMT]
    Collapse

Alexandra Sarmento
    Alexandra Sarmento  Identity Verified
    Portugal
    Local time: 08:43
    Member (2008)
    English to Portuguese
    + ...
    Be aware! Aug 11, 2010

I received this e-mail yesterday... yet another example!
    If I were available on those dates and if a friend/colleague of mine hadn't informed me of this scam, I would have fallen for it!

Hello,

I am Rev.Rick Hoffman.Am an English speaking clergy from Ghana.I will be coming over to Portugal on holidays from 20th of September to 24th of Sertember 2010 for a 5 days vacation with my wife,daughter and son of the ages of 3 and 5 respectively.My wife Rev.Marta Ho
    ... See more
    I received this e-mail yesterday... yet another example!
    If I were available on those dates and if a friend/colleague of mine hadn't informed me of this scam, I would have fallen for it!

Hello,

I am Rev.Rick Hoffman.Am an English speaking clergy from Ghana.I will be coming over to Portugal on holidays from 20th of September to 24th of Sertember 2010 for a 5 days vacation with my wife,daughter and son of the ages of 3 and 5 respectively.My wife Rev.Marta Hoffman only speaks English and my native language,because her mum happens to come from Ghana. We will require the services of a Portugese translator/interpreter for 5 hours daily X 5 days because i will not always be with them on most occassions due to other church functions which i must attend.Please acknowledge if you can offer this service and give me a price quote. Part-Payment will be paid in advance before our visit via certify cheque by our Christian sponsor so that she can be assured of an interpreter during her shopping and sightseeing because this is her first visit to Portugal.

An early reply will be appreciated.

Remain Blessed,

His Lordship,
    Rev.Rick Hoffman
    Tel: +2348182476956
    Collapse

Vitoria Ginja
    Vitoria Ginja
    Local time: 08:43
    English to Portuguese
    + ...
    Be aware ! He is in Portugal too Aug 12, 2010

I also received this email a couple of days ago. He now says he is visiting Portugal in September! I felt suspicious for many imprecisions (the email did not state the denomination of the church, nor the address, nor which part of Portugal he and his family were visiting) and the Rev.'s email (flintstonedad??? a priest???).

Besides, there is a real Rev. Rich Hoffman which I believe has nothing to do with this one.

We have to be aware, but, as the Portuguese saying goes
    ... See more
    I also received this email a couple of days ago. He now says he is visiting Portugal in September! I felt suspicious for many imprecisions (the email did not state the denomination of the church, nor the address, nor which part of Portugal he and his family were visiting) and the Rev.'s email (flintstonedad??? a priest???).

Besides, there is a real Rev. Rich Hoffman which I believe has nothing to do with this one.

We have to be aware, but, as the Portuguese saying goes, "a mentira tem pernas curtas".

Have a nice day.
    Collapse

ANKA BIZJAK
    ANKA BIZJAK
    Member (2023)
    English to Slovenian
    + ...
    E-mail Interpreter scam Aug 14, 2010

I was contacted through proz.com by Jonny Webber that he needs interpreting services because he will be attending some conference in Slovenia in Ljubljana. He said he will pay with the cheque so he reserves my time. The cheque was overpayment (my payment was 405 euro and I got cheque for 3500 BP) of my services that never happened - a few days before the conference should have started he wrote that the organizers changed subject so he is not attending. Fortunately for me the bank won't cash the ... See more
    I was contacted through proz.com by Jonny Webber that he needs interpreting services because he will be attending some conference in Slovenia in Ljubljana. He said he will pay with the cheque so he reserves my time. The cheque was overpayment (my payment was 405 euro and I got cheque for 3500 BP) of my services that never happened - a few days before the conference should have started he wrote that the organizers changed subject so he is not attending. Fortunately for me the bank won't cash the cheque, my bank is only checking if cheque is fake or real and than it will be send ba to the address given to me where I am supposed to send the difference in cash. It was demanded that I send it via Western Union but my bank warned me about expenses I will have it if I do so I didn't do it. It could be that another Slovenian translator or person dealt with Nigerian scam at this bank so they already know. One day later I got e-mail from Dave Jorden in the same style so I wrote back to Dave Jorden that I will only translate document if I get exact payment which 340 euro and if I get overpaid cheque I will send it back and after that I haven't heard from. Fortunately, no harm was done to me or to my account because my bank will contact me if cheque is fake or real and no matter if it is real I will ask the bank to send it back to the address given to me.It is scary that in both cases I was contacted via proz.com and that is why at first there were no red flags in my mind until I received the cheque - than I knew it is scam and bank confirmed it.Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
    Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

E-Mail Scam targeted at Interpreters

Wordfast Pro
    Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
    Anycount & Translation Office 3000
    Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »