Tony M
Tony M
France
Local time: 21:31
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Jan 25, 2014

I just received this stupidly obvious scam attempt from ProZ.com profile http://www.proz.com/profile/1877084

Adresse IP de l'auteur: 41.189.161.39
Type de message: Request for quote
-----------

Hello, mr Tony how are you? i know by the grace of our lord
jesus christ you are well, plz, i need ur help because, i
have a big problem about my educat
... See more
I just received this stupidly obvious scam attempt from ProZ.com profile http://www.proz.com/profile/1877084

Adresse IP de l'auteur: 41.189.161.39
Type de message: Request for quote
-----------

Hello, mr Tony how are you? i know by the grace of our lord
jesus christ you are well, plz, i need ur help because, i
have a big problem about my education, plz, again if u help
me i will never forget you plz, if you get this massage try
to help me . take care mr Tony.

No-one would be taken in by it (I hope!), but I just thought I'd better warn others while waiting for site staff to delete this profile.
Collapse

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 03:31
Chinese to English
+ ...
But... Jan 25, 2014

But he's a native speaker of Middle English residing in Ghana! How can that possibly be untrue?

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Profile has been deleted by site staff Jan 25, 2014

Yes, Lincoln, he is in common with our one member who is a native speaker of Latin (?) — really inspires confidence, doesn't it?

Anyway, site staff are on the ball and the profile has been swiftly deleted. Hopefully that's an end to it...

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Help Jan 25, 2014

Hi Tony,

help is indeed urgently needed in regards to his education. Or hers? The question is, what exactly is this quote to be based on? Never mind, just kidding.

Good thing that site staff is action immediately. And that you are always on your toes, fighting scammers.

Best,

Thayenga

Orrin Cummins
Orrin Cummins  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 04:31
Japanese to English
+ ...
! Jan 25, 2014

Lincoln Hui wrote:

But he's a native speaker of Middle English residing in Ghana! How can that possibly be untrue?

Bifil that in that seson on a day,
In Accra at the Villa Monticello as I lay
Redy to wenden on my pilgrymage
To Sekondi with ful devout corage,
At nyght was come into that hostelrye
Wel nyne and twenty in a compaignye,
Of sondry translators, by aventure yfalle
In felaweshipe, and pilgrimes were they alle,
That toward Sekondi wolden ryde.
The chambres and the stables weren wyde,
And wel we weren esed atte beste.
And shortly, whan the sonne was to reste,
So hadde I spoken with hem everichon
That I was of hir felaweshipe anon,
And made forward erly for to ryse,
To take oure wey ther as I yow devyse.

[Edited at 2014-01-25 22:08 GMT]

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 19:31
Japanese to English
Just ignore them Jan 26, 2014

if you get this massage try
to help me . take care mr Tony.

But how could you turn down a free massage?

In defence of my fellow Ghanaians, we normally write much better English than that.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Massage parleur Jan 27, 2014

It's annoying, Tony, isn't it? In fact, I get so annoyed by this treatment of translators I've now gone for the chance to leave translating for good.

Don't tell anyone, but I've just got an e-mail saying that, by an amazing coincidence, my name and surname are exactly the same as those of the ex-finance minister in a certain third world country who was tragically killed in a recent plane crash. The sender, his daughter, a poor distraught lass (damnably attractive, too, judging by t
... See more
It's annoying, Tony, isn't it? In fact, I get so annoyed by this treatment of translators I've now gone for the chance to leave translating for good.

Don't tell anyone, but I've just got an e-mail saying that, by an amazing coincidence, my name and surname are exactly the same as those of the ex-finance minister in a certain third world country who was tragically killed in a recent plane crash. The sender, his daughter, a poor distraught lass (damnably attractive, too, judging by the photo - AND she says she does not have a relationship now, but would like to settle down with someone special ...!!), is now hiding out in another country close by, in order to escape detection by her father's many brutal and ruthless enemies, desperate to get their sweaty, grimy, bloodstained hands on his 63.5 million US dollars in a safe deposit box at the bank. All I have to do is jump on a flight to the city concerned, where her associate will be waiting to take me to the presidential suite that night at the Hilton, all booked and pre-paid, and the next day I simply assume the father's identity, go and lift the dosh, and pay out a couple of million as a facilitation fee. Couldn't be easier. Better than counting words and putting up with all this bull.

Mervyn
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Obvious scam attempt from profile

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »