How can I trust in this new client?
Thread poster: Leonel Acuna
Leonel Acuna
Leonel Acuna
Chile
Jul 18, 2014

Hello everybody,

I am about to start a fairly big translation project, but I know very little about the person who contacted me for it.

He is apparently contacting me in representation of a video game company from Russia. Judging by the company's website, it seems legit, but how do I know he is not a translator who just wants to outsource her work and whether she will pay me? I already did a test translation, so I am also a little bit suspicious he might systematically
... See more
Hello everybody,

I am about to start a fairly big translation project, but I know very little about the person who contacted me for it.

He is apparently contacting me in representation of a video game company from Russia. Judging by the company's website, it seems legit, but how do I know he is not a translator who just wants to outsource her work and whether she will pay me? I already did a test translation, so I am also a little bit suspicious he might systematically give different translators specific "test translations" to get the job done for free.

The only data I have about him is his full name and that he works in this company (though I do not know in which capacity). The only good sign I noticed is that his email domain is the name of the company. However, I could not find anything with this information.

Thanks in advance.

[Edited at 2014-07-18 16:04 GMT]
Collapse

Andrea Halbritter
Andrea Halbritter  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 15:32
French to German
+ ...
Ask for an account Jul 18, 2014

I'd ask for an account of about 50 % before starting work... My clients accept, some even pay 100 %.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Advance payment... Jul 18, 2014

...of at the very least 30%. And then partial payments as you make partial deliveries, so that you are never hanging out in the dry. If they are legitimate and they really have the budget and the intention to pay you, they won't have a problem paying you a part of the job already now.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Send an email Jul 19, 2014

Aside from what our colleagues have already recommended, you might go back tot he company's website, look up their email and send them an email, stating that XXX has sent you a collaboration offer and that you would like more information about their payment procedures. You can, depending on how you phrase your inquiry, ask for the person's phone number.

If XX works for the agency, then they'll provide you with that number. If not, then they will tell you.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I trust in this new client?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »