Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Invoice from "Professional Translator" [email protected] aka Victor Vladimirovich Alexandrov
Thread poster: Anthony Baldwin
Cenk Haznacı
Cenk Haznacı  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 13:59
English to Turkish
+ ...
Same Mar 13, 2015

Same happened here. However, I couldn't find an invoice to cancel in PayPal. I guess PayPal is already aware and cancelled the invoice themselves. I reported it anyway.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:59
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
What comes next? Mar 14, 2015

Tanya Toneva wrote:

Never seen such point-blank approach before though - no prior communication, no fake translation enquiry - straight to invoice stage this time!

Indeed, these scammers become more and more imprudent. Makes you wonder with what they will come up next. One can only keep reporting them, also to the country's agency that deals with cyber crimes.

Anthony Baldwin
Anthony Baldwin  Identity Verified
United States
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
old trick Mar 14, 2015

I met a guy once (I used to interpret in courts, jail interviews, etc. Met all kinds of interesting characters), who described to me how he and a friend, in the early 90s, use a computer and a printer to generate and print invoices under a fake company name for small amounts of office supplies (paper, envelopes, paperclips, pens, whatever), in relatively small amounts (say $30 to $50), rented a PO box to receive payments, and mailed out such invoices to a whole bunch of companies, large and smal... See more
I met a guy once (I used to interpret in courts, jail interviews, etc. Met all kinds of interesting characters), who described to me how he and a friend, in the early 90s, use a computer and a printer to generate and print invoices under a fake company name for small amounts of office supplies (paper, envelopes, paperclips, pens, whatever), in relatively small amounts (say $30 to $50), rented a PO box to receive payments, and mailed out such invoices to a whole bunch of companies, large and small.
Their PO box filled up with checks.
They made something like US$50,000.00 before someone finally questioned their invoice and they packed it up. He said they never even got caught on that one.

So I knew what this was the moment I saw it.
Collapse

Tanya Toneva
Tanya Toneva  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 20:59
Member (2011)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Unfortunately the saga continues... with blackmail and extortion attempts! Mar 23, 2015

Today I received yet another two invoices from this same scammer, with the following Note included:
"Note from Professional Translator
Dear Sir, according to my company's records, we have not yet received a remittance for this invoice and this is to remind you that your invoice for the English translation that was ordered from your company's address is still unpaid. We would appreciate if you cleared your account within the next days. In case you are not able to pay the due sum in th
... See more
Today I received yet another two invoices from this same scammer, with the following Note included:
"Note from Professional Translator
Dear Sir, according to my company's records, we have not yet received a remittance for this invoice and this is to remind you that your invoice for the English translation that was ordered from your company's address is still unpaid. We would appreciate if you cleared your account within the next days. In case you are not able to pay the due sum in the next week, applicable interest on this amount will be charged and you will have to pay the amount in question, along with the applicable interest and fees. Do not bother to cancel this invoice through Paypal, please send your payment promptly since unfortunately we are sorry that we cannot leave positive feedback about your company, whereas negative feedback all over the Internet may seriously harm your business. Yours sincerely, Professional Translator Ltd. Victor V. Alexandrov"

The email address is different this time: [email protected] - and apparently a fake one.

I've tried to report this to PayPal but for some reason it won't let me select the transactions in question (both the two cancelled invoices and the new ones with "pending"status), so I am not sure how to effectively report and end this, any tips?
Brazenly threatening me with "negative feedback all over the Internet" if I don't pay??? I'm outraged at the level of impudence, to say the least!!!

Simply cancelling the invoice is apparently no solution to the problem, so can anyone please advise how do I report it when PayPal won't let me select the relevant transaction/invoices that I wish to report?? At first I thought it was because the previous two were Cancelled - but no, it won't let me select today's "Pending" ones either!
Collapse

Vasileios Paraskevas
Vasileios Paraskevas  Identity Verified
Greece
Member (2023)
Greek to English
+ ...
Same here Mar 23, 2015

I also got the same threatening email.

PAUL DUMASS CHINNAPPAN
PAUL DUMASS CHINNAPPAN  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 23:29
Arabic to English
+ ...
Invoice from "Professional Translator" [email protected] aka Victor Vladimirovich Alexandrov Mar 23, 2015

I received an invoice which I cancelled on Paypal. A week later (today 23.03.2015), I received this mail via paypal.

Description Quantity Unit price Amount
Translation - Описание (необязательно) 1 9.50 9.50
Subtotal 9.50
V.A.T. (14%) 1.33
Total 10.83 RUB
Note to recipient(s)
Dear Sir, according to my company's records, we have not yet received a remittance for this invoice and this is to remind you that your invoice f
... See more
I received an invoice which I cancelled on Paypal. A week later (today 23.03.2015), I received this mail via paypal.

Description Quantity Unit price Amount
Translation - Описание (необязательно) 1 9.50 9.50
Subtotal 9.50
V.A.T. (14%) 1.33
Total 10.83 RUB
Note to recipient(s)
Dear Sir, according to my company's records, we have not yet received a remittance for this invoice and this is to remind you that your invoice for the English translation that was ordered from your company's address is still unpaid.
We would appreciate if you cleared your account within the next days. In case you are not able to pay the due sum in the next week, applicable interest on this amount will be charged and you will have to pay the amount in question, along with the applicable interest and fees.
Do not bother to cancel this invoice through Paypal, please send your payment promptly since unfortunately we are sorry that we cannot leave positive feedback about your company, whereas negative feedback all over the Internet may seriously harm your business.
Yours sincerely,
Professional Translator Ltd.
Victor V. Alexandrov
Collapse

Irene Koukia
Irene Koukia  Identity Verified
Greece
Member (2008)
German to Greek
+ ...
I received 3 invoices since last week Mar 23, 2015

I received 3 invoices so far and did call PayPal but they will not take any action, unless they receive an official document for the police. I already reported them to Cyber Crime Authorities in order for them to take action.

I do have different emails, for example one for my website, one for invoicing, so I could tell immediately this is a scammer, since he used the web-site's email for invoicing.

Please inform the police accordingly!

Thank you...
See more
I received 3 invoices so far and did call PayPal but they will not take any action, unless they receive an official document for the police. I already reported them to Cyber Crime Authorities in order for them to take action.

I do have different emails, for example one for my website, one for invoicing, so I could tell immediately this is a scammer, since he used the web-site's email for invoicing.

Please inform the police accordingly!

Thank you
Collapse

Swaroop@PPTS (X)
Swaroop@PPTS (X)
India
Local time: 23:29
English to Bengali
+ ...
Same Message: You've received an invoice (0247) from Professional Translator Mar 23, 2015

Note from Professional Translator
Dear Sir, according to my company's records, we have not yet received a remittance for this invoice and this is to remind you that your invoice for the English translation that was ordered from your company's address is still unpaid. We would appreciate if you cleared your account within the next days. In case you are not able to pay the due sum in the next week, applicable interest on this amount will be charged and you will have to pay the amount in ques
... See more
Note from Professional Translator
Dear Sir, according to my company's records, we have not yet received a remittance for this invoice and this is to remind you that your invoice for the English translation that was ordered from your company's address is still unpaid. We would appreciate if you cleared your account within the next days. In case you are not able to pay the due sum in the next week, applicable interest on this amount will be charged and you will have to pay the amount in question, along with the applicable interest and fees. Do not bother to cancel this invoice through Paypal, please send your payment promptly since unfortunately we are sorry that we cannot leave positive feedback about your company, whereas negative feedback all over the Internet may seriously harm your business. Yours sincerely, Professional Translator Ltd. Victor V. Alexandrov
Collapse

Anthony Baldwin
United States
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Two more Mar 23, 2015

I received two more such invoices this morning, same game, but different e-mail address, this time [email protected]
I cancelled these, as well, of course.

If they post negative feedback on my blueboard entry, I'll deal with it here on proz, which shouldn't be too taxing, considering that they never worked for me, and certainly can't prove that they did.

[Edited at 2015-03-23 12:24 GMT]

Katrien Hendrickx (X)
Katrien Hendrickx (X)  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 19:59
Japanese to Dutch
+ ...
I received the same invoice today Mar 23, 2015

What should we do?

Anthony Baldwin
United States
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
cancel it Mar 23, 2015

Katrien Hendrickx wrote:

What should we do?

I just keep cancelling the invoices.
So far nothing further has occurred once I've cancelled them.

Carlos Pérez
Carlos Pérez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:59
English to Spanish
+ ...
We received it too Mar 23, 2015

Same thing, two payment requests via Paypal so far, the second one threatening to spread negative feedback about us all over the Internet. We have cancelled both invoices and notified Paypal via their contact form.

Irene Koukia
Irene Koukia  Identity Verified
Greece
Member (2008)
German to Greek
+ ...
Report to Cyber-Crime Unit Mar 23, 2015

Katrien Hendrickx wrote:

What should we do?

Simply deleting the invoice isn't much help. Please consider reporting the incident to Cyber-Crime Unit. I did, already.

Anthony Baldwin
United States
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
cyber crime unit? Mar 23, 2015

I suppose in the US, it would be this branch of the FBI: http://www.ic3.gov/
But since they haven't actually defrauded (i.e. successfully acquired any funds from me),
I think filing a report would be pointless...

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
You should consider removing the... Mar 23, 2015

...PayPal accepted button from your profile page and at the very least, remove the option that lets users click on the PayPal link on your profile and voila - they can send you an invoice.

[Edited at 2015-03-23 21:14 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Invoice from "Professional Translator" [email protected] aka Victor Vladimirovich Alexandrov

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »