Thread poster: Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:48
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Mar 19, 2015

I was just called by an Indian-English sounding woman who claimed to be from Microsoft with the warning that my computer was infected with some kind of virus. Apparently she could see that each time I start Windows, my computer sends out a warning signal to Microsoft. She could solve this problem, if only I would give her access to my computer. I smelled a rat!

I asked her from where she was calling me: from Microsoft headquarters California USA. All bells started to ring!
... See more
I was just called by an Indian-English sounding woman who claimed to be from Microsoft with the warning that my computer was infected with some kind of virus. Apparently she could see that each time I start Windows, my computer sends out a warning signal to Microsoft. She could solve this problem, if only I would give her access to my computer. I smelled a rat!

I asked her from where she was calling me: from Microsoft headquarters California USA. All bells started to ring!

I live in Amsterdam, Holland and the time she called me was 10:45 AM (= 2:45 AM in California, busy people there, working that early or late). So I asked her what time it was from where she was calling me. Simple question, just look at your watch or computer, but she had to ask her colleague: 'What time is it in California', I heard on the background, and the connection went dead.

Well, always nice to talk to India.

[Edited at 2015-03-19 10:45 GMT]
Collapse

Diana Obermeyer
Diana Obermeyer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:48
Member (2013)
German to English
+ ...
Not all that new Mar 19, 2015

We had a lot of that here in Shetland about 3 years ago. Some nice person ran a big warning campaign in our island newspaper to try an clamp down on it.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Not new! Mar 19, 2015

A few years back (2 or 3 maybe...), I also had a number of those calls, in Brussels and in Lisbon...

Randa Farhat
Randa Farhat  Identity Verified
Lebanon
Local time: 20:48
English to Arabic
+ ...
It's a scam Mar 19, 2015

Have a look here:

http://www.microsoft.com/security/online-privacy/avoid-phone-scams.aspx
http://blogs.microsoft.com/cybertrust/2014/09/18/how-to-report-the-microsoft-phone-scam/

And this
... See more
Have a look here:

http://www.microsoft.com/security/online-privacy/avoid-phone-scams.aspx
http://blogs.microsoft.com/cybertrust/2014/09/18/how-to-report-the-microsoft-phone-scam/

And this one is similar to the call you received.
http://blogs.microsoft.com/cybertrust/2014/06/26/is-that-call-from-microsoft-a-scam/
Collapse

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
A well known scam Mar 19, 2015

I get these annoying calls from time to time. It's a well known scam that's been going on for years. The caller wants you to give them access to your computer so that they can "check it for viruses". Then they put some virus or other on your computer, tell you they've found it and want you to pay them for removing it. Of course Microsoft doesn't check your computer every day or have any way of telephoning you! I suppose some innocents fall for it or they wouldn't keep doing it.
What I do n
... See more
I get these annoying calls from time to time. It's a well known scam that's been going on for years. The caller wants you to give them access to your computer so that they can "check it for viruses". Then they put some virus or other on your computer, tell you they've found it and want you to pay them for removing it. Of course Microsoft doesn't check your computer every day or have any way of telephoning you! I suppose some innocents fall for it or they wouldn't keep doing it.
What I do now when I receive one of these calls is to say "Please hold on a moment". I don't hang up. I place the telephone on the table with the line still open and go away for a few minutes. When I come back, the nice Indian lady or gentleman has hung up.
If they can waste my time and annoy me in this way, I can waste their time too.
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Always a scam Mar 19, 2015

I would regard any contact from Microsoft as a scam

Most recently, my MSWord has decided to crash instead of saving. I have other issues with M$ too.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
I like this Mar 19, 2015

Jenny Forbes wrote:

What I do now when I receive one of these calls is to say "Please hold on a moment". I don't hang up. I place the telephone on the table with the line still open and go away for a few minutes. When I come back, the nice Indian lady or gentleman has hung up....

I like this approach.

I have two responses of my own that I like to use:

1. I say "This call is being recorded. Now what was it you wanted to say?"

2. I say "I'm really glad you called. I want to talk to you about the dictatorship of the proletariat. Are you familiar with Marxist-Leninist ideology?"

Anna Sarah Krämer
Anna Sarah Krämer
Germany
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
Complaining about XXX Mar 19, 2015

Once I had one of those "Microsoft" guys on the line. I pretended to be utterly relieved to finally talk to an expert professional and asked him if "Microsoft" could stop my husband from accessing "naughty" pages on the internet. That call didn't last too long...

Vanda Nissen
Vanda Nissen  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 03:48
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
It's a pity the video is in Danish... Mar 19, 2015

so only Scandinavian colleagues can enjoy it. It is about a 72 year old lady who has been tricking these 'Microsoft' guys for a while now. She pretends to be naive, tells them it takes ages to turn the computer on, nicely asks these people to wait and then she just sits and reads newspapers:) with them being on hold. Her personal record is 1 hour a... See more
so only Scandinavian colleagues can enjoy it. It is about a 72 year old lady who has been tricking these 'Microsoft' guys for a while now. She pretends to be naive, tells them it takes ages to turn the computer on, nicely asks these people to wait and then she just sits and reads newspapers:) with them being on hold. Her personal record is 1 hour and 16 minutes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HDnx9AVbGo&feature=youtu.be
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Microsoft Mar 19, 2015

Tom in London wrote:

I would regard any contact from Microsoft as a scam

And I consider Windows 8/8.1 to be malware.

Robert Rietvelt
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Don't agree Mar 19, 2015

Change the layout of Windows 8.1 in that of Windows 7 and the system works perfectly, but that is another topic.

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Throw them off track Mar 19, 2015

When I lived in France, I regularly got calls telling me they were running a 'campagne d'information' about new fiscal rules. I presume these companies wanted to sell financial services.

If I was in the mood for a bit of fun, I would ask them who was financing the campaign. That would obviously confuse the caller, as there would be nothing in their scripts to cater for such questions. The caller would try to get back on the script track, but I would insist and ask who paid their sa
... See more
When I lived in France, I regularly got calls telling me they were running a 'campagne d'information' about new fiscal rules. I presume these companies wanted to sell financial services.

If I was in the mood for a bit of fun, I would ask them who was financing the campaign. That would obviously confuse the caller, as there would be nothing in their scripts to cater for such questions. The caller would try to get back on the script track, but I would insist and ask who paid their salary, or if they were unpaid.

As I kept sabotaging the conversation this way, they would quickly decide to end the call, as they understood they were wasting their time.

Here is another amusing strategy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkdoogjic4I
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Windows 8 Mar 19, 2015

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

Change the layout of Windows 8.1 in that of Windows 7 and the system works perfectly, but that is another topic.

Until now, nobody has been able to explain to me how to stop the annoying 'charms' popping up every time one swipes left on the trackpad, but as you said, that's another discussion.

[Edited at 2015-03-19 13:50 GMT]

Robert Rietvelt
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hillarious Mar 19, 2015

Everybody should see the You Tube of Thomas.

Thomas, about 8.1, I never said it was perfect, only that it works perfectly.

[Edited at 2015-03-19 12:54 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-03-19 12:54 GMT]

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I do exactly the same to all unwanted calls... Mar 19, 2015

Jenny Forbes wrote:

What I do now when I receive one of these calls is to say "Please hold on a moment". I don't hang up. I place the telephone on the table with the line still open and go away for a few minutes. When I come back, the nice Indian lady or gentleman has hung up.
If they can waste my time and annoy me in this way, I can waste their time too.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Call from Microsoft" scam

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »