Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]
Scammers impersonating agency and asking for money "to verify translators identity"
Thread poster: Valeria Burova
Harishankar Shahi
Harishankar Shahi  Identity Verified
India
Member (2014)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Same Email Here Aug 20, 2015

I have also received same Employment Information and Employment Agreement from a name Emily Phillips, really the scammer placed things very nicely.

I have a doubt on the amount of payment, and that was very huge offer, anyway I am questioning many time regarding payment to know their Bank or other details, but the scammer didn't reveal these.

Proz also not recognize it, that is not good.

Maximo Wilhelm Muñoz
Maximo Wilhelm Muñoz
Guatemala
Local time: 23:10
Spanish to English
+ ...
"Emily Phillips" and "Ameer Nassim", Aug 20, 2015

DEAR ALL:
That´s just right. I also received an e-mail from them expressing the following:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2015 17:13:24 -0400
Subject: Fwd: Employment Letter - APEX Translations(R)
To: [email protected]
... See more
DEAR ALL:
That´s just right. I also received an e-mail from them expressing the following:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2015 17:13:24 -0400
Subject: Fwd: Employment Letter - APEX Translations(R)
To: [email protected]

https://www.apex-translations.com/
201 W. Water Street, Suite 1
Plymouth, NC 27962
1-800-634-4880
Maximo Wilhelm Munoz
August 18, 2015

Dear Mr. Munoz,
Following your online application, you have been selected among several hundred Freelance applicants to fill an important position at our company. I am pleased to offer you a position with APEX Translations as a Freelance Translator beginning 2015-08-19.
The starting compensation for this position is avg. $88,000 USD per year for a full-time commitment, or 8¢ (cents) to 68¢ (cents) per word for a flexible or part-time commitment. Our salary system is based on the amount of work fulfilled - this means that the more jobs you complete, the higher your overall pay will be. Furthermore, you may be eligible for promotion opportunities if your overall performance is continuously outstanding.
Please note that your employment with Apex Translations is "at will". This means that you are free to end your employment with the company at any time for any reason.
If this offer of employment is acceptable to you, please carefully read and understand all of the information outlined within the Employment Information Document and fulfill the Employment Agreement attached to this email accordingly.
This offer will expire if not finalized by 2015-08-20 and the position given to the next qualified applicant.
If I can answer any questions, feel free to email me back. We look forward to having you join our staff.
Sincerely,

Emily Phillips

Apex Translations - Project Manager
201 W. Water Street, Suite 1
Plymouth, NC 27962
1-800-634-4880 ext. 205
www.apex-translations.com
Collapse

Michael Orlov
Michael Orlov
Local time: 08:10
English to Russian
+ ...
Got the same messages from "Emily Phillips" and "Ameer Nassim" Aug 20, 2015

Did not pay anything though.

Leon Ivanihin
Leon Ivanihin  Identity Verified
English to Russian
This is NOT the end of comedy yet Aug 20, 2015

I also have received this scam message as many of you.
You have discussed many interesting points in this branch of forum, but I would like to pay your attention to one more fact.
Inside false document, provided by this scam artist, I have found the following excerpt.

'You will need to fill in the name of the Recruiter that has selected you Online (Ameer Nassim, James Sanskrit or Jennifer White).'

This may mean that probably we have more than one fals
... See more
I also have received this scam message as many of you.
You have discussed many interesting points in this branch of forum, but I would like to pay your attention to one more fact.
Inside false document, provided by this scam artist, I have found the following excerpt.

'You will need to fill in the name of the Recruiter that has selected you Online (Ameer Nassim, James Sanskrit or Jennifer White).'

This may mean that probably we have more than one false recruiter besides Ameer.
Please be watchful regarding them too.

As for advice to report to ProZ team... May be it works. But personally I have negative experience about that. There was a time, when I get the offer from suspicious company from ProZ. I have checked their e-mail address and found it on translator-scammers website and found them there. After that I have reported to ProZ team about this case, providing them with all the necessary links and explanation and asking them to remove false Ad from ProZ. Some days ago I have received the official reply, that they checked the Ad and could not find any violations of of ProZ publication rules.

No doubts, ProZ is great website for translators and their clients. But we are only people. And ProZ team too.
Collapse

Aleksej Kerusov
Aleksej Kerusov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Me too. Aug 20, 2015

Khalid Idris wrote:

Hello everyone,

First, I want thank you all for your support, especially Mr. Enrique for his tips and suggestions to avoid such scammers in the future.

I received the same email this afternoon from this Emily: [email protected] and sadly I registered and paid the $33 USD before I take a look at their Blue board and find that they posted the alert!
I know, I should have known better

I contacted PayPal right away and disputed the transaction, hopefully they will return the money back sine the other party (called Ameer Nassim: [email protected]) seems to refuse answering their questions regarding the transaction!

Also, I contacted the Apex company and received the same email:

Dear translator,

Thank you for sending us the e-mail alerting us of the employment opportunities you received.

Please note that the e-mail you received is fraudulent and was sent by a Scammer who is impersonating Apex Translations, Inc., a legitimate translation company. We are doing everything possible to stop this scam.

DO NOT PAY THE $30 REQUESTED BY THESE SCAMMERS.

[Edited at 2015-08-19 17:26 GMT]

Hi. everyone.
I made the same mistake. Witing for answer from PayPal. It's a "good" lesson for me.

Ramon Somoza
Ramon Somoza  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:10
Dutch to Spanish
+ ...
Obviously it was a scam Aug 20, 2015

I did not get that $30 request, but I reported the original job to the Proz moderators, because it looked fishy - a translation company does not use a gmail address, not when you can get a web site for as little as $50.

However, what really convinced me that this was a scam is that I did the check the physical mail address of this supposed agency in Google Maps - and it did not exist! Not only was it a scam, it was a sloppy one...

Stephanie Mitchel
Stephanie Mitchel  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:10
French to English
Same here... Aug 21, 2015

I got the 'employment offer' email, too, before I came here to investigate... and when I replied, asking why they were in such a hurry, I received a 'permanent delivery failure' notice, so the scam has either shut down or mutated by this point.

Caveat omnes...

[Edited at 2015-08-21 17:48 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-08-21 20:00 GMT]

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:10
Serbian to English
+ ...
at least they have a sense of humor, kind of ... Jan 9, 2016

Valeria Burova wrote:

Quote: "Due to a large amount of spammers fraudulently infiltrating our members panel for scraping and other illegal activities you will have to secure your position and verify your identity by signing and uploading the Management Agreement attached to your Employment letter, as well as de-posit a retrievable 30$ fee to secure your position. This fee is returned to you once you have veri-fied your legitimacy as a Freelance Translator, as soon as you complete your account registration.

However, if you are found to be a spammer and/or scam artist after you have created your ac-count and have gotten back your deposit, your account will be immediately terminated and your information forwarded to your local Authorities.

[Редактировалось 2015-08-18 20:03 GMT]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2015-08-19 12:24 GMT]

A scammer telling its mark that is has to check that the mark is not a scammer!

You must give them the credit for a weird sense of humour!

As for threatening the mark that it's going to be reported as a scammer - that's a real gem!

OTOH, after being subjected to the umpteenth attempt at being scammed, the funny side of it in not longer so funny ...

These kind of scams and borderline scams are widespread in many other fields - (asking for money to get in some useless database and variants thereof) they are just testing the waters with a new target group.

La morale ce cette histoire ... you have to check everything - preferably by calling a published phone number, as a bare minimum ... even an international call is cheaper than the cost of wasting your time and money on dead-end "offers".

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Scammers impersonating agency and asking for money "to verify translators identity"

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »