Website suspension notice scam – phishing
Thread poster: Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:27
German to English
Oct 29, 2015

I am posting this because a number of translators use this web hosting/e-mail service. Customers of other web hosting service may also be receiving similar fake notices.

I have two domains registered with a German-based internationally active web hosting company. Today I received this notice (identifying information deleted):

+++++
Dear Sir/Madam,
The following domain names have been suspended for violation of the (company name) Abuse Policy:
(my name,
... See more
I am posting this because a number of translators use this web hosting/e-mail service. Customers of other web hosting service may also be receiving similar fake notices.

I have two domains registered with a German-based internationally active web hosting company. Today I received this notice (identifying information deleted):

+++++
Dear Sir/Madam,
The following domain names have been suspended for violation of the (company name) Abuse Policy:
(my name, name of domain, registrar)

Multiple warnings were sent by (name of company) Spam and Abuse Department to give you an opportunity to address the complaints we have received.

We did not receive a reply from you to these email warnings so we then attempted to contact you via telephone.

We had no choice but to suspend your domain name when you did not respond to our attempts to contact you.

Click here and download a copy of complaints we have received.

Please contact us for additional information regarding this notification.

Sincerely,
(Name of phishing company)
+++++

If you've received this, you should forward the e-mail, together with the full header, to abuse@(name of REAL hosting company).com
Collapse

Paulinho Fonseca
Paulinho Fonseca  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 15:27
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Hi, I got the same email. Oct 30, 2015

Kevin Fulton wrote:

+++++
Dear Sir/Madam,
(my name, name of domain, registrar)

Multiple warnings were sent by (name of company) Spam and Abuse Department to give you an opportunity to address the complaints we have received.

We did not receive a reply from you to these email warnings so we then attempted to contact you via telephone.

We had no choice but to suspend your domain name when you did not respond to our attempts to contact you.

Click here and download a copy of complaints we have received.

Please contact us for additional information regarding this notification.

Sincerely,
(Name of phishing company)
+++++

If you've received this, you should forward the e-mail, together with the full header, to abuse@(name of REAL hosting company).com

It is exactly as it says here. They said they had called me, but that is a lie. They offer a link so you click to get more info. I reported them to authorities. The funny thing is that their address is from wordpress, but I clicked reply and the email returned.

[Edited at 2015-10-30 11:12 GMT]

TechStyle
TechStyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:27
Domain phishing scam Oct 30, 2015

I haven't had a copy yet, despite owning a few domains, but one of my colleagues has - he forwarded me a copy to investigate, not knowing whether it was genuine or not. This does seem to be a widespread problem, though - here's another report of exac... See more
I haven't had a copy yet, despite owning a few domains, but one of my colleagues has - he forwarded me a copy to investigate, not knowing whether it was genuine or not. This does seem to be a widespread problem, though - here's another report of exactly the same trick: http://domainnamewire.com/2015/10/26/warning-domain-name-phishing-email-blast-going-on-right-now/

The "download more details" link goes to a server which will feed you some sort of malicious content, of course - from a server using a .in (Indian) name in this particular case, though it probably varies.

Remember that "reply" will contact the sender the email claims to be from, which may be an entirely innocent third party: give me your address, I can send you an email "from" [email protected] or any other address you care to name, valid or not (in just the same way I could phone you up and say "hi, I'm Bill Gates!").
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Website suspension notice scam – phishing

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »