Thread poster: Álvaro Espantaleón Moreno
Álvaro Espantaleón Moreno
Álvaro Espantaleón Moreno  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 04:43
Member (2015)
English to Spanish
Jan 3, 2016

This is basically the same scam as the one I reported here: http://www.proz.com/forum/scams/291868-beware_of_qandaresearchcom_beautifully_crafted_scam.html

I guess ProZ should warn now the real Hipay. If you receive an employment offer from Hipay don't click on the link provided.

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 03:43
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Job posted on December, 29th at ProZ.com? Jan 3, 2016

Hi Alvaro,
Is it the same Hipay that posted a job on this date?
That job offer came from a job poster called "Lucia Venucci".
Her contact email is: [email protected]
Unfortunately, I don't have the link of the job offer anymore, and I cannot find it by browsing the job offers.
I have applied by email to their job offer and sent them my CV.
They have replied, but their email wording
... See more
Hi Alvaro,
Is it the same Hipay that posted a job on this date?
That job offer came from a job poster called "Lucia Venucci".
Her contact email is: [email protected]
Unfortunately, I don't have the link of the job offer anymore, and I cannot find it by browsing the job offers.
I have applied by email to their job offer and sent them my CV.
They have replied, but their email wording and "Translator Contract Offer Letter" pdf attachment made me a little suspicious.
Many thanks from your warning.
Happy New Year!
Collapse

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Yep, that's the one. Jan 4, 2016

The job ad was located at http://www.proz.com/translation-jobs/1101884 which now shows "There is no longer - or not yet - a job posting in this database with that ID". It would be very nice if ProZ had an alert system for scams regarding, at the very least least, the job offers posted on their own website... (and if there is, please point me to it...)

The job offer
... See more
The job ad was located at http://www.proz.com/translation-jobs/1101884 which now shows "There is no longer - or not yet - a job posting in this database with that ID". It would be very nice if ProZ had an alert system for scams regarding, at the very least least, the job offers posted on their own website... (and if there is, please point me to it...)

The job offer itself didn't look suspicious, especially since it explicitly mentioned a 8k job, plus a possible long term cooperation, but the offer in the PDF expressisverbis mentioned is totally unbelievable (not to mention the "reply before Tuesday the 4th" part...).

I contacted ProZ support about this, but, again, an alert system about these scams would be highly appreciated... and in this particular case, if that ad was removed, it means ProZ already discovered it was a scam, so why not share that info with users that might have fallen for it?

Pretty elaborated scam, anyway. Kudo...z to those guys, I guess...
Collapse

Achmad Fuad Lubis
Achmad Fuad Lubis  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 09:43
English to Indonesian
+ ...
I also responded to Hipay Jan 4, 2016

Not suspecting anything bad, I did send a quote to the named outsourcer on 29 December 2015 and have not heard anything from them up to now. The link at ProZcom is now empty. Since the emerging of a discussion in this forum, I have sent a support request from ProZcom support team to enlighten me and may be also the forum members on this matter. However, it may take some time to get a result. Meantime, I wish you a prosperous New Year 2016.

Gabriele Demuth
Gabriele Demuth  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to German
Yes Jan 4, 2016

I was going to open a threat about that, but it has already been done.

Silvia SG
Silvia SG  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
Hipay job offer Jan 4, 2016

Hi,

I have also received a reply to the application I sent at the end of December in relation to their advert but the email went into my junk folder.
So, I did not click on the link nor opened the PDF but I typed the web address of hipay and there seems to be a genuine website there.

The email has a link to the address http://www.hipaypanel.com/ and the email address it comes fr
... See more
Hi,

I have also received a reply to the application I sent at the end of December in relation to their advert but the email went into my junk folder.
So, I did not click on the link nor opened the PDF but I typed the web address of hipay and there seems to be a genuine website there.

The email has a link to the address http://www.hipaypanel.com/ and the email address it comes from is [email protected].
It is signed Lucia Venucci, HR Manager.

The text of the email is as per below:

EMPLOYMENT OFFER – Translator

Dear ...,
Thank you for your recent online application to Hipay. The team and I have been impressed with your background and approach and would love to formally offer you a position as a Translator. Although we traditionally conduct interviews with our applicants prior to offering them a position within the company, your credentials have convinced us that you possess the right skill set to properly fulfill this position. Hipay is a leading European authority in the digital payment industry. When you join Hipay, you will become part of a world-wide renowned and fast-growing company with an exemplary work record and reputation. To accept this position, please review the "translation contractor" pdf document attached to this email for more detailed information regarding your employment with us.

If you have any questions or would like to discuss the offer in more detail, feel free to contact me

--
Kindest Regards,

Lucia Venucci
Human Resources Manager
25 Taylor Street, San Francisco

HIPAY Panel
http://www.hipaypanel.com/

Hope this is investigated and stopped.

Kind rgds
Collapse

Simona Ansaldi
Simona Ansaldi  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Member (2015)
English to Italian
+ ...
I received the email from Hipay too Jan 4, 2016

I received exactly the same email this morning but without the attachment and I replied asking for the attachment.
I hope that Proz will investigate the matter further and also warn the real Hipay.

Gabriele Demuth
Gabriele Demuth  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to German
I clicked on the PDF attachtment Jan 4, 2016

I hope this will not cause me any problems.

The wording of the e-mail (the same as Silvia's) made me suspicious, which was then confirmed by looking through the attachment.

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Many thanks, Mirko Jan 4, 2016

And thank you all for your comments on this matter.
I did click on the pdf and nothing happened. I haven't received any alert from my antivirus or any serious message.
Yes, the text is exactly the same as Silvia posted here.
I just hope ProZ.com can verify the authenticity (or not) of this job poster, and clarify us.
Have a nice Monday everyone

[Edited at 2016-01-04 10:49 GMT]

TRA 2
TRA 2  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2014)
English to Italian
+ ...
Same message received Jan 4, 2016

Thank you all for posting about this.

I have applied to what I thought was a legitimate job offer, too. But I became suspicious after their reply and didn't even open their attachment.

Diana Antunes (X)
Diana Antunes (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:43
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I'm so glad I found this discussion Jan 4, 2016

I received the exact same email from this "Lucia" this morning. It did look suspicious. I clicked on the link to access the PDF and it didn't seem to cause any trouble. However, when you read about the next steps to accept the position, you see that they ask for a $30 (refundable, or so they say) deposit! Never in my life have I heard of an employer asking for any sort of deposit from a potential employee.

Very fishy!

icylave
icylave  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 10:43
Member (2013)
Chinese to English
+ ...
It proves that saying that any job application that asks for security deposit is a scam. Jan 5, 2016

I received the same email today.

The webmaster of Proz should take actions immediately.

Diana Antunes wrote:

I received the exact same email from this "Lucia" this morning. It did look suspicious. I clicked on the link to access the PDF and it didn't seem to cause any trouble. However, when you read about the next steps to accept the position, you see that they ask for a $30 (refundable, or so they say) deposit! Never in my life have I heard of an employer asking for any sort of deposit from a potential employee.

Very fishy!

Salman Rostami
Salman Rostami  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 19:43
Member (2009)
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
The same email received here! Jan 6, 2016

Hi everybody,

I received exactly the same email from the same "sender"! I downloaded the PDF file but didn't read it thoroughly. I should add that nothing bad happened and my powerful virus scanner didn't find any threat within the PDF file. Thanks to you dear colleagues especially Xinyuan and Diana, I know that it is a scam.
Proz.com staff should do something in this regard.

By the way, wish you the best in 2016.

Giuseppe Pettinati
Giuseppe Pettinati  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Thank you all Jan 6, 2016

thank you all for avoiding me to waste time on this "hipay scam".
I have received the same mail today, and a base-payment of 78.000 dollars per year sounded a little "weird" to me (and, overall, even without interview!).
Have a good year everybody!

Angela Guisci
Angela Guisci  Identity Verified
Italy
French to Italian
+ ...
hipay Jan 6, 2016

I received the same mail this morning, and a base-payment of 78.000 dollars. They sent me a pdf file asking me to collaborate for them.
Have a good year everybody!

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New scam (Hipay)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »