Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
An weird agency - does anyone know about them?
Thread poster: boostrer
Vanda Nissen
Vanda Nissen  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 10:47
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Unit 2 Mar 18, 2016

Samuel Murray wrote:

What would "2/340" mean in Melbourne?

Unit 2, building 340 but as our colleague from Melbourne has pointed out, there is no buidling 340, instead there is a building 338-352. It is quite common in Australia to have several numbers for one large building, especially in CBD.

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:47
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
True Mar 18, 2016

Katarzyna Slowikova wrote:
A reasonable person wouldn't take an offense, quite contrary, imho. Any answer you get back is more material to analyze.

Katarzyna, you're right of course, and your comment is a more useful contribution to the discussion than my own rather tongue-in-cheek post.

Dan

Katarzyna Slowikova
Katarzyna Slowikova  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:47
English to Czech
+ ...
1234567890...or what should I write here.... Mar 18, 2016

Dan Lucas wrote:

Katarzyna Slowikova wrote:
A reasonable person wouldn't take an offense, quite contrary, imho. Any answer you get back is more material to analyze.

Katarzyna, you're right of course, and your comment is a more useful contribution to the discussion than my own rather tongue-in-cheek post.

Dan

Oh don't be so apologetic, we don't have to be serious all the time, do we... and a conversation with a scammer may turn out to be quite fun, let me post this again:

https://www.ted.com/talks/james_veitch_this_is_what_happens_when_you_reply_to_spam_email

So if you have too much time on your hands you can use it to gather material for a sketch.

Chris Ellison
Chris Ellison  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2013)
Spanish to English
+ ...
@Dan Mar 18, 2016

Well, I chuckled.)

Katarzyna Slowikova
Katarzyna Slowikova  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Czech
+ ...
Ask for invoicing details first Mar 18, 2016

mag013 wrote:

'Do you have something like a VAT number in Australia?'

Yes. It's called the Goods and Services Tax or GST. But not everyone has to be registered for this.

A more pertinent number is the Australian Business Number or ABN. All traders and companies must have one for tax reasons. ABN searches can be conducted at http://abr.business.gov.au

The point was not the tax but some kind of business ID, like this ABN. I suppose it's a mandatory on an invoice, right? I always ask new customers for all invoicing details in advance and I think it's a more realistic check than asking them for even a partial prepayment. Unless the registry works very differently in Australia then here in Europe, you can see whether the client is real, whether they're what they claim to be and have an intention to pay you at all.

It seems I'm not that frequent target of scammers, but I was able to filter out one agency in this way. They chose to ignore my request, instead continuing sending me some phony job requests. Then of course, you create an email filter and are done with them.

[Edited at 2016-03-18 13:32 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

An weird agency - does anyone know about them?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »