Pablo Cordoba
Thread poster: Angeles Barbero
Angeles Barbero
Angeles Barbero  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:56
Spanish to German
+ ...
May 13, 2016

Just got an email from this guy, itoweb.org.
Threatening me, saying he would write to all pages I am part of to talk bad about me.
Has anyone else gotten this message? He says he did a translation for me, which of course he did not. And I should pay him 25€ through Paypal.
I would appreciate your comments
Regards
Angeles

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
You may have had your identity usurped May 13, 2016

It could be that this person has genuinely worked for someone who has usurped your identity; it would seem odd, otherwise, why he should target you randomly.
Unitl you know the whole story, I would remain calm and conciliatory, in order to milk from him as much information as possible about HIS identity, the supposed job he did for you, the contact information he had for that job, etc. there is no harm, perhasp, in seeking to get him on board by pionting out that MAYBE he has been t
... See more
It could be that this person has genuinely worked for someone who has usurped your identity; it would seem odd, otherwise, why he should target you randomly.
Unitl you know the whole story, I would remain calm and conciliatory, in order to milk from him as much information as possible about HIS identity, the supposed job he did for you, the contact information he had for that job, etc. there is no harm, perhasp, in seeking to get him on board by pionting out that MAYBE he has been the victim of someone usurping YOUR identity — if he is genuine, he would probbaly be eager to help resolve the issue; if not, he may just run away.

These details may enable you to pin down the truth of the matter, whether HE is just a scammer, or whether you have BOTH been scammed by some third party.
Try search for him and for yourself on the 'Net, to find out as much as you can — in particular, you might be lucky enough to find the person who has usurped your identity OR other reports of supposed dishonesty on your part. Check out all those 'naming-and-shaming' sites that exist.

I must admit, I don't think I'd go to as much trouble as he is for just €25; then again, scammers know that people will often part with a smaller sum like this in order to avoid hassles — yet if they can scam 1,000 people in this way, they've made a nice sum!

[Modifié le 2016-05-13 14:18 GMT]
Collapse

Katarzyna Slowikova
Katarzyna Slowikova  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Czech
+ ...
Pablo Cordoba is a scammer May 13, 2016

Tony M wrote:

It could be that this person has genuinely worked for someone who has usurped your identity;

My first thought was the same but no:
http://www.translator-scammers.com/translator-scammers-directory-2.htm
ctrl+F and write "cordoba".
Just ignore the bastard.

Angeles Barbero
Spanish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks May 13, 2016

Thank you Katarzyna, I will delete that garbage.

João Roque Dias
João Roque Dias
Portugal
Local time: 16:56
English to Portuguese
Giovanna Baggio / Mihai Tonescu / Pablo Cordoba / Victor Mitran May 13, 2016

The Translator Scammers Directory has just published a SCAM WARNING about this:

https://twitter.com/tsdirectory/status/731138845354430465

Angeles Barbero
Spanish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks May 13, 2016

Thanks Joao

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Pablo Cordoba

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »