Just got an obscene phone call
Thread poster: Elizabeth Tamblin
lundeghe Terence Keming
lundeghe Terence Keming
Cameroon
Local time: 07:15
French to English
Possible flirt Jun 6, 2016

If I understand you well, the person spoke a lot of true and responsible things about your profile, you and translation before suddenly asking a silly question.
Perhaps he really wanted something serious, but, you spoke to him in a very polite manner as any one would to a potential client. So, he mistook or simply exploited your welcoming tone to mention something completely out of place.
Men can easily do so at times. Nonetheless, in such cases they are more likely to initiate a lov
... See more
If I understand you well, the person spoke a lot of true and responsible things about your profile, you and translation before suddenly asking a silly question.
Perhaps he really wanted something serious, but, you spoke to him in a very polite manner as any one would to a potential client. So, he mistook or simply exploited your welcoming tone to mention something completely out of place.
Men can easily do so at times. Nonetheless, in such cases they are more likely to initiate a love related discussion than a really sexual kind of talk. But, it still depends. Some men may talk something filthy when they initiate a love related discussion. Though this should scarcely be the case to women they are meeting for the first time. It wont event be the case when talking to a woman whose husband just answered the call before handing over the phone to.
All the same, if you had listened on or at least pretended to, you would surely have known what exactly he wanted. Better still, if you tell us the question, it will be easier to guess what he wanted.
We are all victims of this kind of behavior everyday.
Collapse

Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jun 6, 2016

Thanks for your input, but it was not a flirty comment, and I have no intention of relaying it here.

You say that we are all victims of this kind of behaviour every day, but I can honestly say I have never been spoken to like that in all of my 50+ years. It annoyed me, and if I get the chance to out the culprit, I will.

Paweł Hamerski
Paweł Hamerski
Poland
Local time: 08:15
English to Polish
+ ...
these two sentences spoke a lot Jun 6, 2016

lundeghe wrote:

All the same, if you had listened on or at least pretended to, you would surely have known what exactly he wanted. Better still, if you tell us the question, it will be easier to guess what he wanted.

Interesting proposal - researcher or worse?

Elizabeth Joy Pitt de Morales
Elizabeth Joy Pitt de Morales  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Absolutely horrible Jun 6, 2016

Dear Elizabeth,

I can't imagine how anyone could attempt to explain this away as a flirtatious actitivity or similar, and any suggestion that your conversation invited his words -- thereby blaming you, the victim, for the perpetrator's actions -- can be considered nothing more than an apologia for what this really was: a verbal sexual aggression, and I strongly encourage you to report it to the authorities at once.

Not only would you be taking some kind of action to pro
... See more
Dear Elizabeth,

I can't imagine how anyone could attempt to explain this away as a flirtatious actitivity or similar, and any suggestion that your conversation invited his words -- thereby blaming you, the victim, for the perpetrator's actions -- can be considered nothing more than an apologia for what this really was: a verbal sexual aggression, and I strongly encourage you to report it to the authorities at once.

Not only would you be taking some kind of action to protect yourself, you may also protect other women from this sick creep, not to mention that you may well feel less vulnerable and afraid to pick up the phone or attend to a legitimate client via the phone in the future.

If he didn't get your number from your ProZ profile, it might behoove you to find out where he could have found it and make sure that it is removed.

My deepest condolences to you for having experienced this kind of attack.

- Liz
Collapse

Elizabeth Tamblin
United Kingdom
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Liz Jun 6, 2016

I agree with all you said, and I'm taking action.

It really was the foulest language imaginable, spoken in the calmest of voices, which leads me to think that this is one very sick individual who should be stopped if possible. I will do what I can.

Gudrun Wolfrath
Gudrun Wolfrath  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
I couldn’t agree more Jun 6, 2016

Elizabeth Joy Pitt de Morales wrote:

Dear Elizabeth,

Not only would you be taking some kind of action to protect yourself, you may also protect other women from this sick creep, not to mention that you may well feel less vulnerable and afraid to pick up the phone or attend to a legitimate client via the phone in the future.

If he didn't get your number from your ProZ profile, it might behoove you to find out where he could have found it and make sure that it is removed.

My deepest condolences to you for having experienced this kind of attack.

- Liz

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Word Jun 6, 2016

Elizabeth Tamblin wrote:

I don't know how the moron got my phone number though.

I don't know about the phone number but be aware: if you have entered your full name in your personal settings for MS Office, any MS Office document created by you will show your name to anyone who opens that document and goes to File---> Properties (on Mac, but I imagine it's similar on PC).

I know you already use your full name here, but still...

[Edited at 2016-06-06 21:27 GMT]

Arabic & More
Arabic & More  Identity Verified
Jordan
Arabic to English
+ ...
You have my support as well Jun 6, 2016

The phone call was a disturbing incident, to be sure, but I also find it strange and rather inappropriate for colleagues to be suggesting that you may have misunderstood the intent of the speaker...as though you would not know the difference between a flirtatious comment (which would still be unwelcome) and one that was meant to harass.

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
Deep breath....aaaand sigh Jun 7, 2016

lundeghe wrote:

Men can easily do so at times. Nonetheless, in such cases they are more likely to initiate a love related discussion than a really sexual kind of talk. But, it still depends. Some men may talk something filthy when they initiate a love related discussion. Though this should scarcely be the case to women they are meeting for the first time. It wont event be the case when talking to a woman whose husband just answered the call before handing over the phone to.
We are all victims of this kind of behavior everyday.

Ah, the dangers of being a woman on the phone.... *eyeroll*
I wonder if they'll trace that number to Cameroon...

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Point? Jun 7, 2016

Ty Kendall wrote:

I wonder if they'll trace that number to Cameroon...

More likely Faraage.

I have to say I find this thread slightly odd. If you don't want to say what he said, Elizabeth, why start the thread in the first place?

It doesn't help the rest of us to know that the next person ringing up offering work might just possibly be about to make a lewd suggestion. What are we supposed to do, hang up?

As it is, of course, we're all left dying to know what exactly he said. I'm sure it's not intentional but it all ends up a bit clickbaity.

Elizabeth Tamblin
United Kingdom
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Chris Jun 7, 2016

If you're implying I started the thread to get attention (which is exactly what is meant by the word "clickbaity" you just used), you're wrong.

I - perhaps mistakenly - thought it would put people on their guard in case this individual called them, considering that he found my details on ProZ. I gave a few details, such as caller ID withheld, accent and general MO of the culprit. I know it's not much to go on, but if I read this thread, I think it would make me a little more
... See more
If you're implying I started the thread to get attention (which is exactly what is meant by the word "clickbaity" you just used), you're wrong.

I - perhaps mistakenly - thought it would put people on their guard in case this individual called them, considering that he found my details on ProZ. I gave a few details, such as caller ID withheld, accent and general MO of the culprit. I know it's not much to go on, but if I read this thread, I think it would make me a little more wary of engaging in a conversation with a bloke calling out of the blue.

A bit like warning people about different types of scam - or don't you think that's worth doing either?

[Edited at 2016-06-07 08:07 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-06-07 08:07 GMT]

Edited to add:

The police have made a detailed log of the incident and said it was definitely something to be concerned about. They told me that if I hear of anyone else in the ProZ community having a similar experience, I should let them know about that so that they can add the information to the file. They are going to see what they can do and get back to me in a few days.

[Edited at 2016-06-07 08:44 GMT]
Collapse

Rachel Fell
Rachel Fell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Thanks for letting us know, Elizabeth Jun 7, 2016

Chris S wrote:

As it is, of course, we're all left dying to know what exactly he said

Erm - no, we're not.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
I think you did absolutely the right thing, Elizabeth Jun 7, 2016

You're right - we're just a little bit more on our guard now that we know it's happened once. I'd never have thought it! And what he said to you is not something I need (or want) to know. I'm sure all women can imagine a few things we wouldn't like to have said to us, and that we'd find deeply upsetting. And there's absolutely no guarantee he'll say the same next time, if there is a next time.

You say he got your deta
... See more
You're right - we're just a little bit more on our guard now that we know it's happened once. I'd never have thought it! And what he said to you is not something I need (or want) to know. I'm sure all women can imagine a few things we wouldn't like to have said to us, and that we'd find deeply upsetting. And there's absolutely no guarantee he'll say the same next time, if there is a next time.

You say he got your details from ProZ.com. Is that where you had your phone number? Was it in clear somewhere, in your profile or your uploaded CV? That would be helpful to know. I don't have my phone number anywhere here that users can see, nor anywhere else on the web, AFAIK. But if I had, I'd take it down now because of this, pronto.
Collapse

Elizabeth Tamblin
United Kingdom
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Sheila Jun 7, 2016

Sheila Wilson wrote:

You say he got your details from ProZ.com. Is that where you had your phone number? Was it in clear somewhere, in your profile or your uploaded CV? That would be helpful to know. I don't have my phone number anywhere here that users can see, nor anywhere else on the web, AFAIK. But if I had, I'd take it down now because of this, pronto.

My phone number is not visible on my Proz.com profile, but one of our members got in touch with me the other day to say that he (the forum member) had kindly checked and found that my phone number was viewable on another translation website. I have now de-registered from that website, and another where I found my number.

However, I don't think being uncontactable by phone is necessarily a good solution. The important thing is to report every incident. It is a criminal offence, after all.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Sorry Jun 7, 2016

Elizabeth Tamblin wrote:

I - perhaps mistakenly - thought it would put people on their guard in case this individual called them, considering that he found my details on ProZ. I gave a few details, such as caller ID withheld, accent and general MO of the culprit. I know it's not much to go on, but if I read this thread, I think it would make me a little more wary of engaging in a conversation with a bloke calling out of the blue.

A bit like warning people about different types of scam - or don't you think that's worth doing either?

I didn't register that that this wasn't just a variation on your common-or-garden heavy breather but involved a bit of research.

I still don't think I'll automatically hang up next time an educated American rings up offering work just in case he's a perv. But yes it's a good idea to get this out there in case he strikes again.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Just got an obscene phone call

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »