Mobile menu

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
.ttx file won't save as target (.inx file)
Thread poster: Rebecca Holmes

Rebecca Holmes
United States
Local time: 21:40
German to English
Mar 19, 2008

A customer sent me a .inx file.
I translated it in TagEditor and saved bilingual as a .ttx file.
The customer needs a .inx file back, however.
When I try to "save as target" as a .inx file, I get the error message
"c:/Logger_Ind_Backward.txt (Zugriff verweigert)".
Does anyone know what to do here?

Thanks!

Direct link Reply with quote

Kobe Vander Beken  Identity Verified
Peru
English to Dutch
+ ...
opening and closing tags without text/spaces/punctuation in between? Mar 19, 2008

I'm not sure, but perhaps it's because you have some tags with nothing in between.
Search for a closing /cf tag in target only, and see if you come upon tags with nothing in between. If so, just put a space, a full stop or tha last letter of your sentence between those tags.

Hope it helps.

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 04:40
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Try stepwise translation Mar 19, 2008

Start with the untranslated file and the tm in Workbench and translate the first few segments. Try Save Target as. If it works, translate more and save again. That way you could find the point, where the problem is.
Regards
Heinrich

Rebecca Holmes
United States
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Tried that Mar 19, 2008

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Start with the untranslated file and the tm in Workbench and translate the first few segments. Try Save Target as. If it works, translate more and save again. That way you could find the point, where the problem is.
Regards
Heinrich

Dear Heinrich,
Apparently great minds think alike, because I tried just that. It doesn't help, however. I ran one single segment through the memory and then tried to save the file as a .inx - but got the same error message.
But thanks for trying to help anyhow!

Atso Puronen
English to Finnish
Use admin privileges Mar 19, 2008

Hi,

I've had the same problem. Log in with administator privileges and it should work.

Rebecca Holmes
United States
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
How? Mar 19, 2008

Atso Puronen wrote:

Hi,

I've had the same problem. Log in with administator privileges and it should work.

Hi Atso,
Can you tell me how to log in with administrator privileges? Thanks!

Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 03:40
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
"c:/Logger_Ind_Backward.txt (Zugriff verweigert)". Mar 20, 2008

that sucks...

Delete that file or remove the readonly property from it. I dont know, what this file is for, but it sure needs writing privileges - and I do not think you need to be an administrator to achieve that

Mauricio Manzo  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:40
English to Spanish
Original INX Mar 20, 2008

Have you tried this?
Put in the same folder the original INX and the INX.TTX file you have translated. Then open the TTX and clic on Save as target, the original INX will be replaced.

Rebecca Holmes
United States
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Still doesn't work Mar 20, 2008

Mauricio MS wrote:

Have you tried this?
Put in the same folder the original INX and the INX.TTX file you have translated. Then open the TTX and clic on Save as target, the original INX will be replaced.

Hi Mauricio,
Yes, the originaly INX file is in the same folder and I have tried cleaning the TTX in that folder - I just get the same error message at the end of the clean-up, however. Agh.
Thanks for suggestion anyhow!

[Edited at 2008-03-20 15:04]

Kirill Semenov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
Simple solution Mar 20, 2008

The solution which works.

Open your ttx file in Notebook, find "1.0.0.0". Change "Indesign" into "InDesign" (the case of the letter) or vice versa. Then, after working with the file, change the string back.

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Notebook X Notepad Mar 24, 2008

Kirill Semenov wrote:

The solution which works.

Open your ttx file in Notebook, find "1.0.0.0". Change "Indesign" into "InDesign" (the case of the letter) or vice versa. Then, after working with the file, change the string back.

Kyrill probably meant Notepad. Nevertheless, this solution sometimes works.

Rebecca Holmes
United States
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
File probably bad Mar 24, 2008

Many thanks for all the input and help. I have tried everything here, including the "Indesign" / "InDesign" bit and nothing works.

I also sent the file to a translator who works for the same customers and has done these types of files before. He couldn't save it as an .inx or clean it into an .inx file either - although he has done so for many different files from this customer in the past.

I also tried opening the original .inx file, translating two lines and then saving as .inx and cleaning into .inx. Even though only two lines were translated I got the same error message - so it isn't a case of my having deleted a tag or something in the file either.

As such, I suspect that something may simply be wrong with this particular file - who knows what??

Thank you all very much for your time and effort, however.

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
INX Hell in Trados... my repost from a different thread Mar 25, 2008

Hi all, usually there is nothing else you can do about this but try to export your TM as TMX, import it into a different tool (Transit, across), have the source files retranslated and perform the cleanup there.

All types of error messages related to INX cleanup have two simple causes: poorly prepared InDesign file and poor InDesign filter by Trados. Trados gives a long description on this in the Knowledge Base 2 Beta (to be found under your profile on Translationzone.com).

Try downloading the latest version of the InDesign filter from Knowledge Base 2 Beta and cleaning up the files again.

I'm afraid there is nothing else you can do.

Anyway, there are some "best practices" to avoid problems, such as:
1. Ask your client to remove any soft returns, styles and embedded graphics before creating the INX file
2. Before you start translating, try to re-export the INX file you opened in TagEditor to see whether an export will be possible after you're finished with the translation. If the untranslated file does not export, something is wrong and you shouldn't even start translating.
3. Avoid shrinking and expanding segments
4. Do not leave the space between any pair of tags empty (insert at least a space or a fullstop)

There are some other useful hints in Trados KB. But even if I stick to those, I sometimes have problems cleaning up INX files.

And I doubt this will improve in future, because as you probably know, Trados resolved support of InDesign CS3 by offering a third-party (damn expensive) plugin.

Filip Tichy  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2006)
English to Czech
Solution of the Logger_Ind_Backward.txt problem Sep 23, 2008

Hi all,
I experienced several INX related problems, but the one (Logger_Ind_Backward.txt access problems) can be easily solved by launching TagEditor using "Run as administrator" mode, as somebody above mentioned.

Simply right-click TagEditor icon and select "Start as Administrator", then you should not get this error and translated INX file should be created (replacing the original one). It works both using "Save Target as" from TagEditor" and Cleanup from Workbench (provided it is also launched as administrator).

Reason of this issue is that Vista doesnt allow (even if the user actually has administrator status) to write/edit files to c:\ root path and there is no way how to change the internal log path of TagEditor.
BR
Filip

[Edited at 2008-09-23 09:00]

Richard Lund
United States
Local time: 20:40
English to Spanish
+ ...
Space between tags Oct 10, 2008

Just FYI...
I must have been lucky today. I found a pair of tags with no space b/n them and inserted a space. After that, I was able to successfully save target as .inx.
I'm glad I found this post. Saved me a considerable amt. of time. Thx Stanislav.
I'll also mention that I know I'll have to check the target file closely for formatting issues because I have a lot of places where I tried to Expand / Shrink segments. I did this because when I imported it to TagEditor, I had a lot of breaks where they shouldn't be. Most def. going to talk to the folks that provide my source files to remove soft returns, etc.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

.ttx file won't save as target (.inx file)

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs