Thread poster: Michelle Hertrich
Michelle Hertrich
Michelle Hertrich  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:38
German to English
+ ...
Mar 19, 2008

Hi, I´m a relatively new TRADOS 2007 Freelance user without any previous experience with CAT. I´ve just finished a translation for an agency who wanted the unclean, bilingual files, as a .rtf file, sent back to them. When trying to save the bilingual file in TagEditor I only had the option of saving it as rtf.ttx, .itd, or .bif. There was no option for saving it as a pure .rtf file (at least I couldn´t find any). The agency uses an older version of TRADOS and has not come across this problem ... See more
Hi, I´m a relatively new TRADOS 2007 Freelance user without any previous experience with CAT. I´ve just finished a translation for an agency who wanted the unclean, bilingual files, as a .rtf file, sent back to them. When trying to save the bilingual file in TagEditor I only had the option of saving it as rtf.ttx, .itd, or .bif. There was no option for saving it as a pure .rtf file (at least I couldn´t find any). The agency uses an older version of TRADOS and has not come across this problem before. Is this a recent change with TRADOS 2007 or am I missing something?

I´ve also had problems with the spell check in TagEditor. Yesterday, TagEditor crashed everytime I tried to do the spell check. In the weeks before it was fine, if extremely slow. I´ve read a few of the posts regarding these problems, so I´ll try fixing it over the next day or two. I´m just rather frustrated with the amount of time that I´m spending trying to fix or at least understand the problems involved with TRADOS. The job I did yesterday was very urgent and I didn´t really have the time to research and fix such problems...As I said, I´m frustrated!
Collapse

Åsa Campbell
Åsa Campbell  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 06:08
English to Swedish
Translate in Word? Mar 19, 2008

Hi Michelle,

The only way I know is if you translate in Word using Workbench. Then you can save the document as .rtf.

Perhaps you can ask the agency if that is what has been done in the past.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Åsa

Kobe Vander Beken
Kobe Vander Beken  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 14:38
English to Dutch
+ ...
rtf.ttx Mar 19, 2008

If you translate an .rtf file in TagEditor the Unclean (Bilingual) file will always be an rtf.ttx file.
Your clean file will be an .rtf file.
The only way to obtain a(n) unclean/bilingual .rtf file is by translaiting directly in Word, as Michelle James suggested.

Nicolas Coyer (X)
Nicolas Coyer (X)  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 14:38
Spanish to French
+ ...
your solution Mar 19, 2008

As Kobe and Åsa said, you cannot save the document as TRADOS-tagged rtf from TagEditor but one option, since you already have everything in the TM, would be to use the Translate function in the WorkBench on the source rtf file.
It will generate a bilingual rtf file, based on what you have in the TM.
Then, you may want to do a quick read-through to make sure everything is fine with your rtf file.
Good luck!

Peter Linton (X)
Peter Linton (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:38
Swedish to English
+ ...
TagEditor spellchecking Mar 19, 2008

Responding to your 2nd point, I had a similar problem when spellchecking using the MS Word spell checker in TagEditor. It kept crashing on a particular sentence that contained the word 'methylated'. But it worked fine with the word 'ethylated'. Sure enough, the problem was that the Word spellchecker did not include 'methylated'.

You might argue that TagEditor should handle that more gracefully, but the point is that the root cause may be in Word.

Michelle Hertrich
Michelle Hertrich  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Mar 19, 2008

Thanks for the hints. The agency ended up accepting the rtf.ttx file, but it is good to know what the problem was in case similar issues come up in the future.

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Read diagonally .... Mar 20, 2008

my gut feeling tells me, bilingual RTF and TagEditor do not rhyme - there's always a ttx added to the party. You can get the target RTF, you have the source Target, and the go-between has always been the ttx,

So it was the agency, who did not get it / did not know, what it was asking for. Maybe pretranslating the original RTF - after finishing the work - would do the trick. But it looks like they did not know it themselves.

Alan Frankel
Alan Frankel  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:38
German to English
Creating bilingual files from TagEditor Jun 4, 2009

This is the way I create bilingual files from TagEditor. It's roundabout and I'm sure there are better ways to do it, but it works.

I do the translation in TagEditor. Then I open the source file in Word and "retranslate" it there. Since just about all the information is stored in the translation memory, it's mostly just a matter of performing a series of repetitive keystrokes (Alt-Home, Alt-Ins, Alt-End) from the beginning to the end of the file.

Of course, you could s
... See more
This is the way I create bilingual files from TagEditor. It's roundabout and I'm sure there are better ways to do it, but it works.

I do the translation in TagEditor. Then I open the source file in Word and "retranslate" it there. Since just about all the information is stored in the translation memory, it's mostly just a matter of performing a series of repetitive keystrokes (Alt-Home, Alt-Ins, Alt-End) from the beginning to the end of the file.

Of course, you could start out in Word to begin with. But in case you didn't, or in case you prefer the TagEditor interface to the Word interface, you can use this approach.

I have absolutely no idea why no one deemed it useful to give TagEditor the option of either reading or writing the file as a bilingual DOC or HTML file.

[Edited at 2009-06-04 17:56 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-06-04 21:10 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-06-05 14:52 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TRADOS 2007: Problems saving bilingual files in TagEditor as a .rtf file

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »