Compatibility Trados 6.5 + Office XP PRO (2002) and windows Vista
Thread poster: Georgia Charitou

Georgia Charitou  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Greek
+ ...
Mar 22, 2008

Hello everyone!
I am considering buying a new laptop but they all come with windows vista and I recently heard that most of them cannot take Windows Xp.

My Trados version is rather old 6.5, therefore I do not know if this will work.

What do you think? Any suggestions?

How does Trados cooperate with Xp in general? I have heard there are many problems.

Direct link Reply with quote

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 06:27
English to Czech
+ ...
New laptop Mar 22, 2008

Hi Georgia,
try to look around a bit more: not all laptops come with Windows Vista, although most of them unfortunately do. I was considering buying a new laptop recently and finally I found a few models delivered with FreeDOS and I decided for an MSI 12" eventually.
Although MSI recommends Windows Vista Business for this laptop, they will provide you with a CD containing Windows XP drivers and I do think this is what most laptop manufacturers do.
Anyway, if you buy a laptop with Windows Vista Business or higher, you may opt for a free downgrade to Windows XP Professional: this is Microsoft's official licensing policy.

I definitely do not recommend trying to run Trados 6.5 under Vista: the only version of Trados running officially under Vista is Trados 2007.

So here are your options:
1) Buying a laptop with no OS and purchasing Windows XP separately
2) Buying a laptop with Windows Vista and downgrading to Windows XP Professional
3) Buying a laptop with Windows Vista and upgrading your Trados licence to 2007.

[Upraveno: 2008-03-22 13:52]

Belgium
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
downgrading Mar 22, 2008

Thank you very much for your answer, Stanislav.

Laptops coming with no OS... I have never seen that in Greece.

anyway, I indeed looked around concerning downgrading. The salesman told me that new Toshiba models do not support XP. However, I have read some success stories on the internet.

Is downgrading difficult? I think I have to install various drivers or something. Could I do it myself or should I contact a professional? And what about the guarantee? Maybe a total format with a change of OS would be easier?

Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 11:27
English to Indonesian
+ ...
downgrade is fairly straightforward Mar 23, 2008

Georgia Charitou wrote:
The salesman told me that new Toshiba models do not support XP. However, I have read some success stories on the internet.

Is downgrading difficult? I think I have to install various drivers or something. Could I do it myself or should I contact a professional? And what about the guarantee? Maybe a total format with a change of OS would be easier?

i think if a laptop can support vista, it can support xp, as requirements for vista is supposedly higher than that of xp.
downgrading should be straightforward, i.e., similar to installing any other os, and you can do it yourself.
as for the warranty, i read that laptop with vista has downgrade option. you should consult your dealer on this. if they have the option, then you don't have to worry about the warranty. and i think manufacturers only have warranty for hardware, not software or os. cmiiw.

Belgium
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
very helpful Mar 23, 2008

Thank you very much both!

You have been very helpful and reassuring.

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Downgrading Mar 23, 2008

Downgrading can mean manual installation of some drivers, such as those of WLAN, because the hardware may be newer than any WinXP distribution. But the installation should be as easy as installing any program.

As for no OS laptops, try browsing the pages of the following manufacturers:
HP
Toshiba
Sony
Fujitsu - Siemens
Lenovo (formerly IBM)
MSI
BenQ

I am sure you will find some models with no OS installed.

Jana Bedanova  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2008)
Czech to English
+ ...
Vista + Office XP + Trados 7.0 Oct 13, 2008

Hi,

My laptop with XP died a week ago and I had to buy a new one quickly while on holidays in Prague. I have not had much time to think the whole thing through as I have started using Trados only recently.
I bought an HP 550 with Windows Vista Business. It has a trial version of Office 2007. I have not even tried to install my Trados 7.0 on it as I realised that it might be an issue. From all the posts I have read so far, it indeed seems to be the fact.

What do you think is the best thing to do?

1) Uninstall Office 2007, install Office XP on Vista and Trados 7.0?
(Do you think it will work? I found many posts online that running Office XP on Vista should not be a problem, but how about the whole thing with Trados 7.0?)

2) Downgrade the system to XP straight away?
(I received some CDs with Windows XP together with the laptop - but I am not sure if they are intended for the downgrading, it says something about "repair" of XP, so I dunno). In this case, how do you actually go about reinstalling/downgrading the whole system?

Thank you for your tips in advance

Jana

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Compatibility Trados 6.5 + Office XP PRO (2002) and windows Vista

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs