Thread poster: Martin Janda

Martin Janda  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 03:33
Member (2003)
English to Czech
Mar 23, 2008

Dear all,

I tried to do a SDLX project in Trados. Exported the itd file into TTX, translated in Tag Editor and tried to harvest - but SDLX keeps displaying the 'Removes all formatting from the target paragraph ' error message. I checked tags, the source file location and language codes, everything looks fine. Two other (bit smaller) files imported smoothly, the exported file (even after a little editing in Notepad) reimports fine as well. I use SDL Edit 200 - thought that might be a version restraint but as I said the very same file reimported fine. Any idea what might be wrong?

MTIA
Martin

Direct link Reply with quote

Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
German to French
SDLX Exchange Mar 24, 2008

Hi,

I had the same problem once and found no solution...

I know there is a "Exchange" utility in SDLX, with which you can convert TagEditor files into SDLX... maybe you can try it ?

HTH,
Sylvain

[Modifié le 2008-03-24 12:12]

Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
TOPIC STARTER
SDLX Exchange Mar 24, 2008

Hi Sylvain,

Thanks a lot! Amazing, this works like charm! Unfortunately I have retranslated the itd file using an exported Trados memory in the meantime, but this trick might save a lot of time in future.

Merci beaucoup!
Martin

German to French
Re-translate Mar 25, 2008

Martin Janda wrote:

Unfortunately I have retranslated the itd file using an exported Trados memory in the meantime.

This is exactly what I had done too when I encountered the same problem... quite time- (and nerve-) consuming indeed!

Glad I could help!

Sylvain

Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
TOPIC STARTER
Still retranslate Mar 25, 2008

There is one possible risk with Exchange - if you send the new itd file generated via Exchange rather than the old one, I think the client may not be able to convert it back to the source format, right?

So, I guess it's safer to use the new itd file to populate a new SDLX memory and then in turn use the memory to translate the old itd file? Admittedly, it's almost the same pain as using the Trados-generated memory but matches should be much better, no extra 'tag junk' (there were many in the TM I had to use).
Or did you tried to send the new itd file to the client any time later?

Martin

German to French
Exchange/harvesting Mar 25, 2008

Martin Janda wrote:

There is one possible risk with Exchange - if you send the new itd file generated via Exchange rather than the old one, I think the client may not be able to convert it back to the source format, right?

So, I guess it's safer to use the new itd file to populate a new SDLX memory and then in turn use the memory to translate the old itd file? Admittedly, it's almost the same pain as using the Trados-generated memory but matches should be much better, no extra 'tag junk' (there were many in the TM I had to use).
Or did you tried to send the new itd file to the client any time later?

Martin

Hi Martin,

What I did was to retranslate the original itd from my client with an exported Trados-TM, so there was no problem for my client to convert it back...

In fact, I have never used the Exchange feature... you may be right, but I assume that due to the "growing" compatibility between the both programs, the itd-file generated with the Exchange feature should retrieve all the informations from the ttx-file necessary to recreate the document... after all, if you first export it into ttx and then import it back, I guess nothing gets lost

On a side note, I tend to use SDLX more and more since a few weeks, and it turns to be very powerful ! All the exchange and conversion utilities make it very easy to switch between both programs, and I must admit that SDLX reveals to be one step ahead!

Sylvain

[Modifié le 2008-03-25 07:56]

Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
TOPIC STARTER
A good 'emergency' way then Mar 25, 2008

I see Sylvain - whenever this issue crops up again, I can try to send the client a new file and wait. And only if it does not work, then go the more painful way...

Personally, I work in yet another CAT tool but use Trados as a 'vehicle' - I could probably never get used to work in the tag mess of Tag Editor....

Thanks again - and all the best
Martin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TTX Harvesting into SDLX Issue - Formatting Removed

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs