Mobile menu

Cannot reorganize Trados TM (runtime error)
Thread poster: Louise Dupont

Louise Dupont  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:46
Member (2004)
English to French
Mar 24, 2008

I have Trados build 826 SP1 and my TM is rather large (510000 TUs).
I work with Office 2003.
When I try reorganizing my TM I get a runtime error TW4win.exe (no number for the error).
I tried exporting the TM in a txt file and reimporting it in a new TM, didn't work.
I tried exporting as a TMX, didn't work either.
I also get the error when I try to import the big file.
Is my TM too large?
Is there a limit to the number of TUs allowed in a TM?

Other than that Trados is working just fine, aalyzing, translating...

Thank you!

Direct link Reply with quote

Anette Herbert  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:46
English to Swedish
+ ...
Probably too large Mar 24, 2008

Your Tm is probably too large, I don't know of a certain limit but I have heard of 200 000 TUs as a safe number to work with.
Anyway with the freeware program Olifant you can tidy your TM up, it will for example look for duplicate segments which can reduce a TM with quite a few number of segments.

Also using text fields to divide your TM into subject areas to creat several smaller TM:s is another way, and then exporting the TM with filter settings on text fields is another way. And then working with your subject TMs using your "big mama" as the reference TM. But try Olifant first, there is a good help section if I remember correctly.

Good luck!

[Edited at 2008-03-24 13:30]

Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:46
English to Dutch
+ ...
Trados can ruin your database Mar 24, 2008

... so be careful. I've had a similar situation in which the entire TM was lost, not even SDL support could help me. Which, by the way, is still the best option: contact SDL support and send them a zipped TM, see if they can fix it.

In the meantime, make sure you have backups and don't overwrite your backup files.

Good luck.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cannot reorganize Trados TM (runtime error)

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs