Mobile menu

Creating a glossary with Trados...
Thread poster: Pristine
Local time: 21:50
English to German
Mar 25, 2008

Dear colleagues,

I just got Trados 2006. I was happily translating with Wordfast but was constantly asked if I work with Trados, so after years of avoiding it, I finally and reluctantly got it.

I figured the (Workbench) symbols out that appear in MS Word - but what about creating a glossary, the terminology in Trados?

I go to:
1) Options
2) Terminology recognition
3) ?

In Wordfast, you highlight the target and the source term and with Control/Alt T, you enter the term in a glossary that you open before. Simple. Uncomplicated. Fast.

What about Trados?

I sure have that huge Trados handbook. For the Trados price, we may all count with a fat manual, don't we?

Isn't there a short instruction, just the basics for the Trados beginner?

The manual goes on and on and on, there are so many pages just about Terminology... But what I need, I didn't not find right away.

Anyway, who has time to study that all before starting? I don't want to become Professor Trados just want to translate my jobs with Trados as for some reasons, some agencies/customer don't want Wordfast...

I am also looking for some concentrated Trados mini manual that just provides the very basic steps to get started with the Workbench.

Thanks for any advice.

Best wishes,

Direct link Reply with quote

Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:50
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Have you installed Multiterm? Mar 25, 2008

Indeed, Wordfast's terminology handling is simple and efficient - but it is not very complicated with Trados, either. Make sure you have Multiterm installed - otherwise it does not work. You will find clear instructions in the tutorial files.

Anyway, who has time to study that all before starting?

It is certainly an investment of time but it can save a lot more in the long run (not to mention all the frustration that can be avoided).

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:50
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
You got also SDLX Mar 25, 2008

In SDLX the termbank takes care of glossaries. Creating is easier than with Multiterm.

Local time: 21:50
English to German
Multiterm Mar 25, 2008

Thanks, Attila and Heinrich. I'll check the Multiterm thing out.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Creating a glossary with Trados...

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs