Thread poster: Helen Li
Helen Li
Helen Li  Identity Verified
Singapore
Local time: 12:26
English to Chinese
+ ...
Mar 28, 2008

Hi, I am a beginner to Trados and just bought the SDL Trados 2007. I am thinking to transfer my past translation work to the TM. I understand the Winalign can do the job if I have one source document and one target document.

The problems are that most of my past translation is delivered as one bilingule file (i.e. one paragrah in source language followed by one paragraph in target language. ). In this case, what is the best way for me to turn my old translation work into TM with Tr
... See more
Hi, I am a beginner to Trados and just bought the SDL Trados 2007. I am thinking to transfer my past translation work to the TM. I understand the Winalign can do the job if I have one source document and one target document.

The problems are that most of my past translation is delivered as one bilingule file (i.e. one paragrah in source language followed by one paragraph in target language. ). In this case, what is the best way for me to turn my old translation work into TM with Trados?

Many thanks for your help!
Collapse

Katherine Mérignac
Katherine Mérignac  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 06:26
Member (2004)
Clean up Mar 28, 2008

Hi Helen,

It should be dead easy, and you're lucky to have bilingual files. Simply make a copy of each file and clean up the copy using the TM you want to update - by making a copy, you get to keep the original bilingual file.

HTH,

Katherine

Anette Herbert
Anette Herbert  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:26
English to Swedish
+ ...
Use search and replace Mar 28, 2008

Helen Li wrote:

The problems are that most of my past translation is delivered as one bilingule file (i.e. one paragrah in source language followed by one paragraph in target language. ). In this case, what is the best way for me to turn my old translation work into TM with Trados?

I think you mean that you have translated the sentence and left the source sentence in one and the same word document without using any translation tools as you say you are a beginner in Trados?
Do you know how your clients extracted the translation from that document? If so, you can do it the same way as you need one file with only the source language and one file with only the target language to use WinAlign.

If not, you may be able to use the Search and Replace function. If you open that and click on More, and go to Format, you have an option of searching on language. I have used it and it works for English and Swedish at least. You need 2 copies of each document, one the first you search for the target language in the top box and leave the replace box empty. That will delete all your target language sentences. Then do the same for the other file but search on source language of course.
If you are lucky you will now have one source file and one target file.

Of course if you still have the original file in the source language only, you only have to do this procedure ones, to remove the source langugage sentences to get the target language file.

Hope it works!

Anette

[Edited at 2008-03-28 07:56]

Helen Li
Helen Li  Identity Verified
Singapore
Local time: 12:26
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much! Mar 28, 2008

Hi, Katherine and Anette, thank you so much for your prompt responses with the helpful advices!

My past translation was done without any translation tool. Most of my translation work are delivered in MS-word format, and they are billingle file.

Now it is my first time to touch Trados. In order to make my past translation work into TM in the Trados, it appears the easist way is to use the "Search and Replace Function" as suggested by Anette to split the one billingle fi
... See more
Hi, Katherine and Anette, thank you so much for your prompt responses with the helpful advices!

My past translation was done without any translation tool. Most of my translation work are delivered in MS-word format, and they are billingle file.

Now it is my first time to touch Trados. In order to make my past translation work into TM in the Trados, it appears the easist way is to use the "Search and Replace Function" as suggested by Anette to split the one billingle file into one source file and one target file. I will have a try.

Thanks again and have a nice weekend!:)
Collapse

Katherine Mérignac
Katherine Mérignac  Identity Verified
France
Member (2004)
Interesting tip Mar 28, 2008

Thanks for that tip Anette - I didn't realize Search and Replace could be used to select different languages. Interesting... could be useful one day.

And good luck, Helen!

Anette Herbert
Anette Herbert  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:26
English to Swedish
+ ...
Non-translateable text too Mar 28, 2008

Katherine Mérignac wrote:

I didn't realize Search and Replace could be used to select different languages. Interesting... could be useful one day.

I think the search and replace function is seriously underrated. I especially use it to mark non-translateable text, ie text I don't want to translate, so Trados just skip those. You do that in More- Format template-TWexternal (skips the whole sentence or phrase that you have highlighted) or TWinternal (leaves just that word and you use "Get next placeable to insert them). You have to have those format templates in the text to be able to use them. If they are not there, I just go to macros (Alt+F8) and select sAddTagStyles and run and you have them there. Has saved me a lot of time with translations where certain parts are not to be translated. It means you can use the fuzz function uninterrupted.

I first highlight the parts in yellow that I don't want to translate. Then search on highlights (or equivalent) and replace with template TWinternal/external. To get them back (leave the yellow highlights on) I replace yellow with standard paraghraph text (or equivalent).

Anette

Jonathan von Zelowitz
Jonathan von Zelowitz  Identity Verified
France
French to English
SDLX DNT format Mar 28, 2008

Great post, Anette. By the way, SDLX people may be interested to know that these styles (on my system they are called tw4winExternal and tw4winInternal) can be used to "block out" DNT (Do Not Translate) text for processing in SDLX as well.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation Memory

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »