Mobile menu

Trados -> INX Filter segmentation issue
Thread poster: MT_Michala
Local time: 21:53
Czech to English
Mar 28, 2008

Hello everyone,

I have a few questions regarding the translation process of the INX files in SDL Trados. It would be wonderful if there is anyone who could answer them.

1. INX is supposed to be an "interchange format" for Adobe InDesign, therefore I quite do not understand why CS3 inx cannot be opened in TagEditor versions lower than 8.x What are the differences? As far as I know the purpose of the INX format is the backward compatibility.

2. If you stick to the following process, most likely you will not be able to produce the "cleaned" translated files. Lets assume we have CS2 INX, Trados 7.5 on my PC and Trados 8.0 on Translator PC
- Open the INX in TagEditor 7.5 and save it as TTX
- Send it over to the translator who has Trados 8.0
- translate the text
- now you cannot produce cleaned INX file on either PC due to the missing various segments

My question therefore is: why the text gets re-segmented on translator side? The TTX is supposed to be fully segmented file....

I am quite sure it does apply to doc files as well (if you prepare them as TTX files on one PC and translate them on a different one with different version of Trados). I have found out that even a minor version / update might have the same impact...

3. What happens if prepared INX converted to TTX is opened in even same version of Trados TagEditor, but with the different FILTER settings?

Michal A.

Direct link Reply with quote

avsie  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Missing segments or missing tags? Mar 28, 2008

What sort of error message do you get when you try to either Save as target or re-import into your INX file?

Czech to English
Missing segments Mar 28, 2008

if you are lucky you get:
Failed to retrieve tag toolbar settings for plugin file format: Filter definition not found: TRADOS Indesign Filter
(this can be fixed by modifying word "Indesign" to "InDesign" in Notepad)

or alternatively you can get:
File not found or not in InDesign CS2 format

(well, I placed original INX file in the same directory as the TTX and ofc it was produced in CS2)

but in my topic I was refering to this one:
Unexpected Tag ' has been encountered at Controls ''

And I really do not know how to deal with this one...

Claudio Nasso  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
InDesign CS2 and CS3 INX files Mar 28, 2008

Dear Michal,

I have encountered the same below message when receiving from a client an *.inx file generated by InDesign CS3 and translated with TagEditor (my job, in this case, was only to typeset/DTP Polish, French, Spanish, German translation of an original English manual, carried out by other colleagues):

MT_Michala wrote:
but in my topic I was refering to this one:
Unexpected Tag ' has been encountered at Controls ''

and I couldn't "re-generate" the translated *.inx file.

Provided that the original *.indd file was created with InDesign CS2, and that the client created 4 *.inx files using InDesign CS3, the solution I have found, even if a little bit laborious, was:

• discard the CS3 *.inx.ttx files received from the translator;
• ask the client to send me the TMs generated by translators;
• generate 4 *.inx files from original *.indd files using InDesign CS2;
• open the generated *.inx files with TagEditor and reapply the TMs;
• save the completed TagEditor translated files as bilingual (*.inx.ttx);
• save *.inx.ttx files as monolingual to obtain again 4 *.inx files;
• open *.inx files with InDesign CS2 or with InDesign CS3.

I don't know if this is a correct way, but it worked, and I could typeset/DTP the 4 requested different versions of an original English *.indd file.

I have read other topics about this problem concerning CS3 *.inx files (compared to CS2 *.inx files) and we think that there must be a glitch in *.inx files created by CS3 when you import them in TagEditor (it seems that this problem doesn't appear with *.inx files created with CS2).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados -> INX Filter segmentation issue

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info » PDF Translation
Fast and Reliable PDF Translation - reduce your workload while maintaining quality

Unlock the potential of PDFs, taking your original PDF, replacing the text with your translations from your preferred tools and in minutes, get a high quality, ready-to-use, translated PDF. Try it now - your first 50 pages are free.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs