Help with Trados 7
Thread poster: Jessjean
Jessjean  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:40
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mar 28, 2008

Hi everyone,
Apologies if these queries are elsewhere on the forum - I have looked but didn't see anything.
I've recently upgraded from 6.5 to 7. I only have 7 running on my machine now. The 'issues' I have are probably very basic but very annoying!

1. The first time I used Trados 7, the French segments weren't shown unless you had that particular segment open (I translate French to English). I found this very useful - particularly when it came to the spell check. I learned I could use the 'Show/hide' function to display both languages.
The next time I used it, this function seemed to have disappeared! Both languages are shown, regardless of whether you're in the segment or not. Anyone have any idea what may have happened?

2.When I use the concordance function, it will give you every variation of a translated term - as far as I know, there is probably only one term that should be used and many of the terms showed with concordance may have been updated/become obsolete.
Is it just a question of me looking at dates to see the most recent record? Even then, that still doesn't mean it's the right term.

3. With Trados 6.5, typos were highlighted with a red squiggle as I typed. This doesn't happen now. I realised this could be a word setting but adjusting the setting I thought it was didn't help. Also, before running a spellcheck, I have to 'select all' and set the language, even though the UK English is specified in the TM.

Again, I apologise if these have been covered elsewhere and for the fact these are probably very basic queries.

Any help very gratefully received!

Direct link Reply with quote

Local time: 20:40
English to German
+ ...
if I understand your questions right... Mar 28, 2008

these might be the solutions for the first two problems:

Issue 1:

In MS-Word, open 'tools' -> options -> view -> check/uncheck 'show hidden text'

Issue 2:

In Trados, open 'tools' - > concordance -> options -> check 'show most recent TU first.

hope that helps,

Jessjean  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:40
Spanish to English
+ ...
Trados tips Mar 29, 2008

Thanks very much Igor,
I will try see when I become chained back to my desk again on Monday!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help with Trados 7

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wake up in the Morning and see that you have sold TMs and made Money overnight

The TM Market Place for Translators
New: Our Instant TM Download
TM owners: Upload your TMs into the online database
Customers: Analyse your text & instantly download a text-specific TM
Well over 1.2 BILLION translation units

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs