Tag Editor can't open Word files because of Track changes function
Thread poster: katrelnada

katrelnada  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:44
English to Arabic
+ ...
Mar 30, 2008

Tag Editor(Version 8)-Windows XP (sometimes 2000). Could you pls explain to me why Tag Editor can't open Word files (error message: 80005: Can't open .....because of changes not yet rejected or accepted)? I'm at my wits end. Here is what I did:

1- I accepted all changes. Didn't work
2- I copied all into a new Word file. Didn't work
3- Used the solution of modifying Word_1_0_0_0 (from Default to Ignore Nonaccepted/ nonrejected changes). Works sometimes and sometimes not

What else can I do?

Direct link Reply with quote

Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:44
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Close & re-open TWB and TagEditor Mar 31, 2008

have you also exited and re-started TWB and closed and re-opened TagEditor? I had this problem a couple of times and I could import the file only after having re-started TWB & TagEditor (of course, I had to accept all changes, de-activate track changes and save the file; once it worked only after copying the whole text into a new document)

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Problems with Track Changes... Mar 31, 2008

Hello Giuliana,

I’m sorry to hear about your problem. Please try the following:

Please try turning off track changes in MS Word and then saving the document again.

Also, you need to configure the Trados filter to process track changes. Please do the following:

1. Go to Filter Settings, located at Start -> All Programs -> SDL International -> SDL Trados 2007 -> Trados -> Filters

2. Open the level "Word 2000-2003" in the left pane

3. Click on "Non accepted or rejected changes" and check the option "Process documents with non accepted or rejected changes"

4. Click “Save”

Now re-open Tag Editor and Translators Workbench and try the document again.

I hope this helps,

Many Thanks,

Gareth Powell
SDL Support Team

Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Thanks! Mar 31, 2008

Hello Gareth,

thanks! I have never thought about checking those filters in SDL Trados 2007...

BTW, I see that the "Non accepted or rejected changes" option is not available in SDL Trados 2006 though (at least not following the path you have indicated). Where should I look? I have always managed to find a workout until now, but if I could also fix that via filters, it'd be much appreciated.

Than you again.

English to Dutch
+ ...
TagEditor bug! Oct 28, 2011

I just created my own Word document (from scratch) with the idea of opening it in TagEditor. And when I try, I get a message that it cannot be opened in TagEditor because it has tracked changes that haven't been accepted or rejected yet. This is preposterous! Does anyone have a safe (!) and reliable solution for this? And perhaps could the SDL people please come up with a little program to get this problem out of the way in a single mouse-click?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tag Editor can't open Word files because of Track changes function

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Translators like you are producing higher quality translations faster with Lilt!

After years of research at Stanford University, Lilt has introduced a revolutionary new tool that will change the way you translate. Lilt learns how you translate to give you more personalized suggestions. Be more productive today! Use it FOR FREE!

More info » PDF Translation
Fast and Reliable PDF Translation - reduce your workload while maintaining quality

Unlock the potential of PDFs, taking your original PDF, replacing the text with your translations from your preferred tools and in minutes, get a high quality, ready-to-use, translated PDF. Try it now - your first 50 pages are free.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs