Mobile menu

USB dongle needed
Thread poster: Anna Ryden
Anna Ryden  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:04
English to Swedish
+ ...
Apr 1, 2008

Does somebody know where I can buy a USB dongle to replace my parallell dongle?

When I changed my computer I unfortunately didn't check with the technical forum... and so I found out by trial and ERROR that the parallell-usb adapter does not work for the software.

I still have version 6 which works just fine, it really has all I need (which is maintain technical terminology for my different clients, and concordancer) so why should I upgrade for 800 euros?

I also asked SDL Trados to send me a usb dongle, this is what they answered:
"Thank you for your recent query regarding a USB Dongle. Unfortunately SDL Trados has stopped supporting dongles for a couple of years now and you will have to upgrade to receive a software license key. Kindly also be advised that as from the 1st April 2008, it will not be possible anymore to upgrade from Trados 6.5 or earlier. Those with these versions will have to purchase the full priced software."

Is there a marketplace somewhere for dongles and used software? I could think about buying freelance 6.5.

I just joined the group buy list. Let's see if I can still get the upgrade for 350...

[Edited at 2008-04-01 11:36]

Direct link Reply with quote
Boyan Brezinsky  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:04
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
A separate PCI card Apr 1, 2008

Assuming your new computer is a desktop machine, why don't you buy a PCI card with a parallel port instead? It costs about 10 euro and even if you have to pay someone to install it in your machine (actually, it is quite easy to do it even by oneself), you will still save plenty of money.

Anna Ryden  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:04
English to Swedish
+ ...
somebody tried it Apr 1, 2008

Because in an older posting another translator had tried a PCMCIA to parallell adapter that should have given full EPP-support, but it didn't.

Of course I can try buying a docking station with a parallell port, but in the end, if I continue to buy adapters and none of them function, maybe it's easier to upgrade if the price is reasonable. And I work with a notebook because it's portable! All this extra stuff is really heavy!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

USB dongle needed

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info » PDF Translation
Fast and Reliable PDF Translation - reduce your workload while maintaining quality

Unlock the potential of PDFs, taking your original PDF, replacing the text with your translations from your preferred tools and in minutes, get a high quality, ready-to-use, translated PDF. Try it now - your first 50 pages are free.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs