Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:43
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Apr 2, 2008

Dear colleagues,

I am translating xml files in TagEditor (7.5). I received an ini file from the agency. Now TagEditor always inserts the source segment into the target segment, although I have unchecked the respective checkbox in Workbench ("Ausgangssatz kopieren, falls kein Match", don't know the exact wording in English: "Copy source sentence on no match")
Even when there is a 100% match in the TM (and Workbench shows this), TagEditor inserts the source segment (in yellow) instead.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Kind regards,
Erik

Direct link Reply with quote

PCovs
Denmark
Member (2003)
English to Danish
+ ...
Ask the client about the .ini file Apr 2, 2008

The problem might lie in the .ini file the client sent you.
Ask the client about this.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Has the file been pretranslated and presegmented? Apr 2, 2008

It looks like your customer has pretranslated and presegmented the file using an empty TM. In this case you would have such behaviour as you describe.

Regards
Jerzy

Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Update Apr 2, 2008

@PCovs: Thanks, I'll check that.

@Jerzy: Thank you. Can I see in the ttx file that they have been presegmented? Either way, they do not contain translated segments. I have, however, indeed received an empty TM from the agency. If this is the reason, is there any way to change this behaviour, which is really slowing down my workflow?

Kind regards,
Erik

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Just scroll through the file Apr 2, 2008

If you see "TU" in a part of the file you not already translated, than the file has been presegmented.
This means simply, that with an empty TM the text is analysed and segmented, while each source segment gets "duplicated" - you have "translation units" in the text, which contain simply the source text and its copy in the part for target text.
Should this be the case, simply request an unsegmented (original) file from the customer. If they refuse, take the file they delivered (the one you've got for translation) and without having started to translate it use the function "save target as...". If the file has been segmented with an empty TM, as result you will get the ... source file

Regards
Jerzy

Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's it! Apr 2, 2008

Dear Jerzy,

Thank you very much, that did it! You saved me a lot of work!

Kind regards,
Erik

BTW: Is there any sense in presegmenting a text? TagEditor would do that anyway (and in no time) once I open a source file, wouldn't it?

Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
Sometimes Apr 2, 2008

BTW: Is there any sense in presegmenting a text?

In case of non-standard segmentation rules agencies sometimes fully pretranslate TTX files (copying source into target for non-100% matches) to make sure the final TTX will be segmented in the proper way, no matter what translator will do to TM (it's very easy to ask for export and import it to the new TM, forgetting about segmentation rules).

W.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

XML files - TagEditor always inserts source sentence in target segment

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs