Zeynep YESIN YALCIN
Zeynep YESIN YALCIN  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 20:54
Member (2008)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Apr 2, 2008

I have an translation project in word document format which includes tables, pictures, graphs and text boxes. The project is assisted by TRADOS Cat tool. However, when I try to clean up the word document, it gives an error saying that "Word could not convert the document due OE/COM or file name error"

How can I fix this error and clean up the word file? Could you please tell me step by step the procedures to be applied? SDL Trados 2006 Freelance is being used.

Urgent in
... See more
I have an translation project in word document format which includes tables, pictures, graphs and text boxes. The project is assisted by TRADOS Cat tool. However, when I try to clean up the word document, it gives an error saying that "Word could not convert the document due OE/COM or file name error"

How can I fix this error and clean up the word file? Could you please tell me step by step the procedures to be applied? SDL Trados 2006 Freelance is being used.

Urgent information is required to solve this problem.

Thanks in advance for your kind assistance on the subject.

Kind Regards

[Edited at 2008-04-02 10:54]

[Edited at 2008-04-02 10:57]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-04-02 11:08]
Collapse

Oscar Martin
Oscar Martin
Spain
Local time: 19:54
English to Spanish
+ ...
ole/com error Apr 2, 2008

Hi,

Try this:

Check the document for any unusual features. If you still get the error message even though Word 97 or higher is installed and the document looks normal, manually convert the document to RTF format before processing, and back to DOC format when finished.

To manually convert a file from the DOC format to RTF format:

Open the Word document.
Choose File > Save As.
Select Rich Text Format (*.rtf) in the S
... See more
Hi,

Try this:

Check the document for any unusual features. If you still get the error message even though Word 97 or higher is installed and the document looks normal, manually convert the document to RTF format before processing, and back to DOC format when finished.

To manually convert a file from the DOC format to RTF format:

Open the Word document.
Choose File > Save As.
Select Rich Text Format (*.rtf) in the Save As Type drop-down list.
Verify that the file name is correct. Type a file name in the File name field, if necessary.
Click Save to convert the file.
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Just the facts, mister, just the facts Apr 2, 2008

... to quote Sgt. Joe Friday

1) what kind of a file are you trying to clean(extension, size, contents etc)?
2) what did you use to get this file (Word, TagEditor ....)?
3) what version of Word are you using?
4) Have you a problem just with this file or with all files of this/such kind?

Regards

Vito

Zeynep YESIN YALCIN
Türkiye
Member (2008)
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Your questions Apr 2, 2008

Dear Vito,

Thanks for your reply. Please see the followings which I believe would clarify the points you have asked:

1. I am trying to clean a Word file (Microsoft Word 2003) comprised of contents section, text boxes, graphs, pictures, all 70 pages. However, I did not complete the translation of the whole text. The document includes an contents which is arranged as in fields form. After finalzing all the subject heading I will update this contents page and finalize the
... See more
Dear Vito,

Thanks for your reply. Please see the followings which I believe would clarify the points you have asked:

1. I am trying to clean a Word file (Microsoft Word 2003) comprised of contents section, text boxes, graphs, pictures, all 70 pages. However, I did not complete the translation of the whole text. The document includes an contents which is arranged as in fields form. After finalzing all the subject heading I will update this contents page and finalize the translation process. However, as the document includes text boxes, I copied these text boxes to another word document and create the memory in there and then copy and paste this translation into the related text boxes again.

2. I am using word, trados and workbench (TRADOS 2006 Freelance)

3. Word 2003

4. I have problem only with this file.

Awaiting your comments

Regards

Zeynep
Collapse

Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Search the forum Apr 4, 2008

Zeynep YESIN YALCIN wrote:

Dear Vito,

1. I am trying to clean a Word file (Microsoft Word 2003) comprised of contents section, text boxes, graphs, pictures, all 70 pages. However, I did not complete the translation of the whole text. The document includes an contents which is arranged as in fields form. After finalzing all the subject heading I will update this contents page and finalize the translation process. However, as the document includes text boxes, I copied these text boxes to another word document and create the memory in there and then copy and paste this translation into the related text boxes again.

2. I am using word, trados and workbench (TRADOS 2006 Freelance)

3. Word 2003

4. I have problem only with this file.

Hi Zeynep,

Lots of solutions to this if you search the forum!
What previous posters suggested:

0. re-running the translation in TagEditor, and then to Save as target. This is a no-brainer!
1. using the clean option of Wordfast.
2. save the file as RTF, then clean the RTF file. You can save it as Word .doc again afterwards.
3. manually 'force' a cleanup by running the Tw4winClean.Main macro.
4. copy/pasting the section in question to a separate word document and cleaning up the latter.
5. repairing MS Office. Just insert MS Installation disk, select repair Office and it will reinstall all the application components without altering your configuration, templates, icons or anything whatsoever.
6. remove the embedded graphics, clean, and paste back after cleaning.

/J

Zeynep YESIN YALCIN
Türkiye
Member (2008)
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Apr 5, 2008

Thank you for all the valuable comments. I have solved the problem as per your instructions. Hoever, now I have another TRADOS problem and could not able to fix it although I have read the forum articles. Please see my problem in new forum topic.

Regards

Zeynep

KJIDTP
KJIDTP
Local time: 11:54
English
Same issue but... Nov 13, 2008

Hello,

I'm trying to clean-up a similar Word file, and getting the same error.

The problem I'm seeing however, is either computer or Trados related rather than with the Word file or any of the other things that were suggested before.

My colleague tried to clean the file and got this error:
Word could not convert the document due to an OLE/COM or file name error

When I try on my computer, with the same version of Trados (8.2.0.835), same h
... See more
Hello,

I'm trying to clean-up a similar Word file, and getting the same error.

The problem I'm seeing however, is either computer or Trados related rather than with the Word file or any of the other things that were suggested before.

My colleague tried to clean the file and got this error:
Word could not convert the document due to an OLE/COM or file name error

When I try on my computer, with the same version of Trados (8.2.0.835), same hotfixes too, the file cleans into the same translation memory without any problems.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Megan
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TRADOS Error - Word could not convert the document due to OLE/COM or file name

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »