Mobile menu

New user of Trados, having problems with Japanese>English
Thread poster: flecrone
Local time: 23:32
Japanese to English
Apr 2, 2008

Just started using Trados a few days ago, translating from Japanese to English.

My first problem is that, after closing a translation unit, there is no space between sentences. The space is added by the final cleanup, but with the hidden text hidden, I get no space. This seems to be due to the fact that there is no space in the Japanese language after a period. Is there some setting that I can change to have things displayed properly before the final clean up?

Also, I was able to import my word list with MultiTerm. A list of about 7000 terms, which is 2.10 MB as an Excel file, became a 24 MB mxw file. That 10-fold increase was surprising enough, but when I tried to append a list about about 180 terms, the mxw file again increase 10-fold to about 250 MB. (These lists contain only the Japanese and English words, nothing else). So, I tried to do a "reorganize", and the file size almost doubled. Needless to say, I'm a bit concerned about trying to add lists to anything. The termbase catalog still shows the file as being 26 MB, but the actual file on the disk has grown to nearly half a GB.

Has anyone else experienced these issues, and if so, how did you deal with them?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-04-03 03:29]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-04-03 03:30]

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New user of Trados, having problems with Japanese>English

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados PDF Translation
Fast and Reliable PDF Translation - reduce your workload while maintaining quality

Unlock the potential of PDFs, taking your original PDF, replacing the text with your translations from your preferred tools and in minutes, get a high quality, ready-to-use, translated PDF. Try it now - your first 50 pages are free.

More info »
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs