No Trados macro's in Word 2007
Thread poster: Marijke Mayer

Marijke Mayer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 13:17
Dutch to English
+ ...
Apr 3, 2008

After installing Trados 6.5 and Word 2007 after a computer crash, I have no visible Wordbench tools, so that I can only use the concordance but not the Trados Word functions.

Word 2007 appears to be particularly user-unfriendly as there no longer is a Help section and the menu structure has been completely worked around.

I looked in the macro section, but to no avail.

Help!
TIA,
Marijke

Direct link Reply with quote

avsie  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Not compatible Apr 3, 2008

Hi Marijke,

If you do a search in the SDL Trados Support forum regarding the compatibility of Office 2007 and Trados, you will find that only SDL Trados 2007 is compatible with Office 2007. This is the reason why you cannot find the macro.

Possible solutions are upgrading to the latest version or reverting to Word 2003.

Marie-Claude

Netherlands
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much indeed for answering! Apr 3, 2008

After being goaded into buying Vista, which neither works well with Word 2003 nor with Trados, there appears to be no end to the forced upgrades! I really just want to translate, but that seems to be impeded by 'progress' . . . .

avsie  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
I know! Apr 3, 2008

I know, it's very annoying. In this case, SDL isn't really to blame as such, in the sense that it's the whole Vista/Office architecture which is different than previous versions. Since SDL is dependant from the platform developments, they have to make new versions as well

There might be some info in the SDL knowledge base: http://www.sdl.com/en/services/support/search.asp

Netherlands
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Flabbergasted! Apr 3, 2008

My god, I am looking at the page and after all I have paid Trados these years, it looks like there is nothing less than a whopping 695 Euros for an upgrade:

http://www.lspzone.com/en/products/translation-memory/sdltrados2007/upgrade/default.asp

Please tell me I am mistaken!

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Revert to Office 2003? Apr 3, 2008

Hi Marijke,
Unless there is a strong reason to use Office 2007, you may want to consider going back to Office 2003.

OTOH I wouldn't want to go back to Trados 6.5: I find the ability to use TagEditor on Word files to be very useful.

(I'm using XP Pro, Office 2003, and SDL Trados 2006 (7.5.0.759).)

Best regards,
Ralf

Claudia Digel  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Freelance or Professional? Apr 3, 2008

Hi Marijke,

Marijke Mayer wrote:

My god, I am looking at the page and after all I have paid Trados these years, it looks like there is nothing less than a whopping 695 Euros for an upgrade:

http://www.lspzone.com/en/products/translation-memory/sdltrados2007/upgrade/default.asp

Please tell me I am mistaken!

I think you are mistaken.

Actually, I think what you are referring to is the upgrade price from SDL Trados 2006 Professional to SDL Trados 2007 Professional. If you have the Professional version, the price for an upgrade from 6.5 will be even higher.

However, if you have the Freelance version, you will find the correct upgrade prices on www.translationzone.com. An upgrade from Trados 6.5 to SDL Trados 2007 should be €365.

Please note though, that SDL have decided not to support upgrades for versions that are more than 3 years old (this includes Trados 6.5) from May 1st onwards. So, if you want to upgrade you should do it now, otherwise you will have to buy the full version after May 1st. - You should find more information on this in recent forum posts.

HTH

Best regards,
Claudia

[Edited at 2008-04-03 07:57]

Netherlands
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for setting me straight Apr 3, 2008

I thought as much, sorry but I don't think this new site is easy to navigate in. I received the e-mail for upgrading but it looks like Trados 7 is cheaper than an upgrade for Trados 6.0 or 6.5

TRADOS 7 $230 / €205
TRADOS 6.0 Expires 01/05/08 $440 / €365

Anyway, why fix something if it ain't broke, my old boss used to say. I do perfectly fine with my old XP and Trados 6.5! Just got to install Word 2003 again.

[Edited at 2008-04-03 09:19]

Netherlands
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
All is well that ends well! Apr 3, 2008

I decided to check my order history (duh) and it appears that my upgrade only costs 80 'euri', which is a whole lot better than earlier indicated.
But thanks to everybody to come to my rescue!

Marion Delarue  Identity Verified
France
Spanish to French
+ ...
trados macro doesn´t show up Apr 9, 2008

Hello

I´ve read this message, and I have the same problem as Marijke. I have word 2007 and trados 2007. It should work...
As word 2007 is different from word 2000 it is more dificult for me to look for what I am looking for.
Can anybody help me?

Thank you
Marion

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

No Trados macro's in Word 2007

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs