Kornelija Karalic
Kornelija Karalic  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 23:03
Member (2006)
English to Bosnian
+ ...
Apr 3, 2008

I've got a job to translate certain number of TRADOS UNITS not words. Does anyone knows how to count trados units? I have Trados 7.
Thanks a lot.

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 17:03
English to French
+ ...
Trados units = segments? Apr 3, 2008

This is only a guess. It may be that what you call units are segments. If this is the case, then a plain old Trados analysis will give you the count, because it tells you the number of words but also the number of segments there is in a text.

With the default segmentation settings, a segment is either a sentence, an item in a bulleted list or a part of a sentence that finished with a colon. Check your segmentation settings to ensure you can define what you call Trados units and chec
... See more
This is only a guess. It may be that what you call units are segments. If this is the case, then a plain old Trados analysis will give you the count, because it tells you the number of words but also the number of segments there is in a text.

With the default segmentation settings, a segment is either a sentence, an item in a bulleted list or a part of a sentence that finished with a colon. Check your segmentation settings to ensure you can define what you call Trados units and check with your client if this is what they mean.

I would be cautious if I was required to charge by the segment - some segments are only a few words long, others can be several lines long. If you haven't established a rate per segment yet, I highly recommend you look at the word count, establish how much you would charge per word, multiply that rate by the number of words there is to translate as per the Trados analysis, and then divide that total amount by the number of segments as per the Trados analysis to get your rate per Trados unit. This way, you are sure to get your per-word rate while you can still charge by the segment.
Collapse

Kornelija Karalic
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2006)
English to Bosnian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
About segments... Apr 3, 2008

Unist are not the same as segments, it must be something else.

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:03
Swedish to English
+ ...
As always... Apr 3, 2008

To get the answer from the horse's mouth. Ask the client.

Kornelija Karalic
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2006)
English to Bosnian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
As always... Apr 3, 2008

You are right!
Thanks.

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Trados "terminology" Apr 4, 2008

Trados has always called segments that are stored in the translation memory "translation units", so they may be segments, after all.

HTH,
Benjamin

Daniel García
Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
segment is not the same as translation unit Apr 4, 2008

tectranslate wrote:

Trados has always called segments that are stored in the translation memory "translation units", so they may be segments, after all.

I think it is not the same.

If I remember correctly, a translation unit consists of two segments (source segment and target segment).

Daniel

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Si tacuisses... Apr 4, 2008

Daniel, we know all about source and target segments, thank you very much. What we're looking for is some kind of unit for measuring the quantity of text for translation, not an academic definition. In the Trados analysis logs they're called "segments", not "current source segments to be transformed, via translation, into target segments", and for good reason.

Thank you very much,
Benjamin

Anna Villegas
Anna Villegas
Mexico
Local time: 15:03
English to Spanish
Try it Apr 5, 2008

I suggest to create a new TM, and click "Reorganise" from time to time to see how many TUs you've translated.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Counting TRADOS UNITS

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »