Marijke Mayer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 01:15
Dutch to English
+ ...
Apr 5, 2008

Colleagues,

I wonder if anyone has come across the same problem:

After clicking on the desktop icon, I get the following cryptic error message: ' SDL Trados Synergy required Trados 2007 to be installed and registered.'

After downloading and installing SDL International 2007, entering the serie number, I generated a licence online and moved that file into C:\Program Files\SDL International\T2007_FL\Dongle Drivers, where, incidentally, I also found a little
... See more
Colleagues,

I wonder if anyone has come across the same problem:

After clicking on the desktop icon, I get the following cryptic error message: ' SDL Trados Synergy required Trados 2007 to be installed and registered.'

After downloading and installing SDL International 2007, entering the serie number, I generated a licence online and moved that file into C:\Program Files\SDL International\T2007_FL\Dongle Drivers, where, incidentally, I also found a little program with the dandy name of Sentinel Protection Installer 7.2.2, which I duly installed. I have no idea what good it would do though.

I did searches on the customer portal on 'how to install licence' and ' how to register' , strangely enough, to no avail.

It is the weekend and I am stuck. I don't find the SDL site to be user-friendly at all and although I won't give up, I wonder it someone could set me straight?

TIA,
Marijke

PS I did uninstall Trados 6.5.

[Edited at 2008-04-05 13:13]
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Registering Apr 5, 2008

Hi Marijke,
"registering" has nothing to do with registering your program with Trados. It refers to writing program values into your computer's registers (to open them press Start > Run, type regedit and hit Enter; but be careful, editing registers manually may be dangerous).

To register (write values in your computer's registers) your copy of Trados, locate and run the file SelfRegister.bat (typically found under "c:\Program Files\SDL International\T2007_FL\TT\").

[Upr
... See more
Hi Marijke,
"registering" has nothing to do with registering your program with Trados. It refers to writing program values into your computer's registers (to open them press Start > Run, type regedit and hit Enter; but be careful, editing registers manually may be dangerous).

To register (write values in your computer's registers) your copy of Trados, locate and run the file SelfRegister.bat (typically found under "c:\Program Files\SDL International\T2007_FL\TT\").

[Upraveno: 2008-04-05 20:39]
Collapse

Marijke Mayer
Netherlands
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your suggestion, Stanislav! Apr 6, 2008

Although your answer is technically correct, it appears that I had gone the same route as before when installing earlier versions of Trados, i.e. physically putting the licence file in c:\Program Files\SDL International\T2007_FL\TT\. However, this entire process has changed with the onset of SDL Trados 7 in as to that we now a an series of keys and that takes care of it. I managed to find a good tutorial on the site for deinstalling (as well as the installation tutorial that came with the purcha... See more
Although your answer is technically correct, it appears that I had gone the same route as before when installing earlier versions of Trados, i.e. physically putting the licence file in c:\Program Files\SDL International\T2007_FL\TT\. However, this entire process has changed with the onset of SDL Trados 7 in as to that we now a an series of keys and that takes care of it. I managed to find a good tutorial on the site for deinstalling (as well as the installation tutorial that came with the purchase e-mail), I had to return the licence code using the specified proces:

Which brings me to the next question, can I have an extra copy running on my backup computer that also has Vista in case my regular computer breaks down? Does not look like it!

If not I have yet another backup computer with XP that I could reinstall 6.5 on. XP and 6.5 have always worked for me. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
One license for one computer Apr 6, 2008

What mens you can only install and activate the software on one single computer.
I wonder how you were able to generate a license file?
AFAIK the licensing policy of SDL has changed and what you need now is to enter the license key you can find in your account and then to activate the software online. When you reinstall, you need to deactivate the license first (means: return the license with the license manager in your SDL Trados copy).
However, you can install the software on
... See more
What mens you can only install and activate the software on one single computer.
I wonder how you were able to generate a license file?
AFAIK the licensing policy of SDL has changed and what you need now is to enter the license key you can find in your account and then to activate the software online. When you reinstall, you need to deactivate the license first (means: return the license with the license manager in your SDL Trados copy).
However, you can install the software on many PCs and transfer the license when needed - this is what I would do being in your shoes.

Registering the software mens exactly what Stanislav means - writing the registry values into the Windows registry. The Windows registry is a quite huge and complicated system, which tends to change sometimes, when new software or updates are installed. Thus you will sometimes need to register the softare (SDL Trados) even if you mean you did not change anything.

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Marijke Mayer
Netherlands
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your explanation, Jerzy! Apr 6, 2008

Well, whatever I did this time went well as Workbench seems to be working now, which is a huge relief if one has to deliver dirty files.

Your suggestion of returning the license and reinstalling it on another machine in case of a breakdown is of course very valid. By the way, I never make a back of up the fives anymore, I just export and then create a new memory as I have been getting too many error messages trying to open an existing memory.

I hope we will be spared n
... See more
Well, whatever I did this time went well as Workbench seems to be working now, which is a huge relief if one has to deliver dirty files.

Your suggestion of returning the license and reinstalling it on another machine in case of a breakdown is of course very valid. By the way, I never make a back of up the fives anymore, I just export and then create a new memory as I have been getting too many error messages trying to open an existing memory.

I hope we will be spared new updates for a while, I just want to work and not have to jump through manufacturers' hoops in performing complicated installations!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Error message after installing SDL International 2007

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »