Cristina Heraud-van Tol
Cristina Heraud-van Tol  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 01:59
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 9, 2008

I have a pdf file, which is not an image but text. I want to translate it using SDLX, but when I use the Project Wizard to convert it and start translating, there's simply no option to do this. Is there a way to do it?

Jing Nie
Jing Nie
China
Local time: 14:59
Member (2011)
English to Chinese
+ ...
covert it to a Word file Apr 9, 2008

There is no way to translate a PDF file directly.

You need to convert it to a Word file using Solid converter PDF or other converting program.

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 09:59
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Convert to doc Apr 9, 2008

No way. Search the fora on pdf conversion.
Regards
Heinrich

Eva Straus
Eva Straus  Identity Verified
Slovenia
Local time: 08:59
Member (2007)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Have the PDF transcribed or OCR-ed Apr 9, 2008

Dear Cristina,

first ask your client if they can send you the file that was used to create the PDF. Judging from what you said it seems highly likely they have the original Word file lying around. Text, no pics - sounds like something they probably prepared on their own. I could be wrong though; maybe they downloaded it from the net.

If they can't help you, tell them you're going to have to transcribe the file before you can translate it. Don't forget to mention the fac
... See more
Dear Cristina,

first ask your client if they can send you the file that was used to create the PDF. Judging from what you said it seems highly likely they have the original Word file lying around. Text, no pics - sounds like something they probably prepared on their own. I could be wrong though; maybe they downloaded it from the net.

If they can't help you, tell them you're going to have to transcribe the file before you can translate it. Don't forget to mention the fact you'll be forced to charge them a bit more. Maybe they'll suddenly remember they in fact do have a Word doc with the same text

Anyway, I always have PDFs and images transcribed or OCR-ed (OCR = Optical Character Recognition). I don't want to bother my clients with requests that might sound unreasonable to them. Like "go and fetch me a different file with the very same text" - I don't think so.

The truth is that a lot of end clients don't know anything about how CAT tools work and why PDFs are not really compatible with them.

[Edited at 2008-04-09 08:20]
Collapse

Emilio Gironda
Emilio Gironda  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:59
English to Spanish
+ ...
No Way... Apr 9, 2008

...to translate PDFs directly with any CAT. Eva Straus gives you the best reply, indeed... if your client has the original doc in Word, go ask for it; otherwise you'd need to convert the PDF with one of the following:

Converting tools:

* Solid Converter
* ABBY FineReader
* OmniPage Pro
* Able2Extract Pro

Do not forget to charge for the extra time involved!

Best,

EmGi/PERU
(saludos)

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 02:59
English to French
+ ...
Use AutoUnbreak Apr 9, 2008

In case you can't get the original, editable file, use AutoUnbreak.

AutoUnbreak lets you extract text from a PDF file and will keep the basic formatting (bold face, indents, bullets, etc.) but best of all, it removes all the unnecessary line breaks, so your sentences will not be broken up the same way as is you had copied it directly from the PDF. There is a limit of 65000 characters that can be extracted - in case your PDF is larger than a dozen pages, you will have to perform the
... See more
In case you can't get the original, editable file, use AutoUnbreak.

AutoUnbreak lets you extract text from a PDF file and will keep the basic formatting (bold face, indents, bullets, etc.) but best of all, it removes all the unnecessary line breaks, so your sentences will not be broken up the same way as is you had copied it directly from the PDF. There is a limit of 65000 characters that can be extracted - in case your PDF is larger than a dozen pages, you will have to perform the conversion operation several times until your entire PDF is processed.

You can get AutoUnbreak here: http://digital.hollmen.dk/products/autounbreak/index.htm

All the best!
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 08:59
English to Czech
+ ...
Just one more thing Apr 10, 2008

Hi Cristina,
I can only second what all other guys have written.
But just to add a small explanation: a PDF is always a picture that may, but also may not, contain a text layer.
If it does contain a text layer, the PDF => text conversion is easier than if it doesn't. That's all.

Tudor Soiman
Tudor Soiman  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:59
Member (2005)
English to Romanian
+ ...
pdf Apr 11, 2008

Adobe Acxrobat 8 has 2 options, save as and export to a lot of file tipes including .doc and rtf and exporing to Word. (in zour case, as zou have a text pdf. - for images, Abby Fine Reader's the best)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

PDF file in SDLX?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »