Mobile menu

Workbench disappears when pretranslating or cleaning *.INX.TTX files
Thread poster: mrpeters
mrpeters
Local time: 08:23
German to English
Apr 9, 2008

Hi there,

Whenever I use the Translate or Clean-Up functions on an *.INX.TTX file, the Workbench window disappears as soon as the progress bar reaches 100%. This does not happen with the Analyze function, nor with any other file formats that I have tried.
No error message appears, and nothing is entered in the log. It is as if absolutely nothing had happened.
(and it's not just me: it happens to my colleagues as well)
SDL support simply states that they cannot reproduce the error.
We are using Trados 7.5.0.759 (Part of SDL Trados 2006) and InDesign CS2.

Any ideas? Does this even happen to anyone else?

Thanks for your help,
Martin

Direct link Reply with quote

tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Admin? Apr 9, 2008

Are you on a restricted user account? Try again with administrator privileges and let us know if that did the trick.

HTH,
Benjamin

mrpeters
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Don't know yet... Apr 9, 2008

... I've asked my system adminstrator, but he doesn't appear to be at work today.

We were given new computers recently, and I think as part of that we were changed away from being adminstrators, maybe that's why I didn't have this problem before...

I'll have to wait until he comes back...

Are you expecting it to work if I am an administrator, or are you just hoping?

Cheers,
Martin

Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
Java Apr 9, 2008

This usually means problems with Java. What JRE version is available on your machine?

tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Worth a try Apr 9, 2008

mrpeters wrote:

Are you expecting it to work if I am an administrator, or are you just hoping?

I remember a specific error that we successfully tackled using an admin account. Unfortunately, I don't remember what it was exactly. I hope it'll either work or at least give you a meaningful error message.

Should be worth a shot at any rate.

Benjamin

mrpeters
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Java/Admin Apr 10, 2008

Hello,

Yes, I am a local admin on my PC, and my java version is 1.4.2_08.
Another colleague has Java 1.6.0, and does not have this error.

tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Java Update Apr 10, 2008

I've got the following Java versions installed:

• j2re1.4.1_04
  • jre1.5.0_10
  • jre1.6.0_02
  • jre1.6.0_03

and the InDesign filter is behaving quite alright here on my PC at the moment.

You may want to try updating your Java version (for which you'll need admin privileges, so it's good to see you have those ).

HTH,
Benjamin

mrpeters
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Getting better Apr 10, 2008

I downloaded Java 1.6.0.50 from the Java website, and now the Workbench doesn't disappear.
Instead, I get the following error message:
(-2147467259): Unknown exception when attempting to create Java Virtual Machine.
Can I solve this by simply removing the old Java version from my computer?
But Benjamin has multiple versions running on his computer, apparently without any problems...

Cheers,
Martin

mrpeters
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Problem appears to be solved Apr 17, 2008

After talking to SDL, I did some of what they said, and in other regards I did the opposite of what they said.
A while back (old computers, etc.) we had problems opening/converting INX files with TagEditor. We were then told to insert some code into the PluginFileFilterDefinitions.xml file in the TT folder. These had to do with memory being reserved for Java resources. (I'm pretty sure I've seen this mentioned in this forum as well, and it's definitely in the SDL Knowledge Base.)
Anyhow, I then asked my IT guy what SDL meant with JAVA_HOME and JRE_HOME. I then noticed that there were no such entries in my environmental variables. So my IT guy told me what I should actually do. (In the meantime I once again had only Java 1.4.2_08 installed, as SDL supports ONLY this version.) That then gave me a different error message when trying to Pretranslate the file. Of course it was truncated, but here's what I could see "Failed to create Java Virtual Machine. Check the in the file C:\Programme\SDL..."

So I thought maybe this message points to the PluginFileFilterDefinitions.xml file. I sent that file (with the extra Java code) to SDL, and was told everything is OK. But I didn't trust that answer, so I removed the Java code, and now everything works just fine.
I then also installed the newest version of Java (1.6.0_05), but kept the environmental variables pointed to Java 1.4.2_08, and so far everything works the way it is supposed to.

Benjamin and Wojciech: Thanks for your tips!

I hope that this helps other people as well!

Keep on smiling,
Martin

Pauline Demazure
Spanish to French
+ ...
URGENT MESSAGE ERROR CONVERTING .INX Jul 7, 2008

Hello,

I have also added the extra Java code into the the PluginFileFilterDefinitions.xml file and it works to save the .inx into .ttx files but now when i try to convert the .ttx into .inx i have a message error : "unknown exception when attempting to create Java Virtual machine". Could you explain what you mean by "I then also installed the newest version of Java (1.6.0_05), but kept the environmental variables pointed to Java 1.4.2_08". How can you keep the environmental variables of the 1.4.2_08 Java version????

Please help me!!

Thank you very much,

Best regards,

tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Environmental variable Jul 7, 2008

I don't have the opportunity to test this now, but it seems you can set the default Java version to be used by adding a JAVA_HOME environmental variable to your system. To do that in Windows XP, go to Start --> Control Panel --> System --> Advanced --> Environmental Variables and add the variable to either user or system variables.

(You probably want to set this variable to %programfiles%\Java\jre1.4.2_08)

HTH,
Benjamin

[Edited at 2008-07-07 18:13]

mrpeters
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Confirmation of environmental variable Jul 8, 2008

Hello paulineattrados,

Yes, Benjamin is right. That is exactly what I did.

Cheers,
Martin

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
A question Jul 8, 2008

(You probably want to set this variable to %programfiles%\Java\jre1.4.2_08)

I would assume SUN of all the enterprises would avoid like hell legacy problems with Java. So what makes 1.6 (or for that matter any version but 1.4.x) so different, that it breaks the applications developed with 1.4.x?! I am even worrying about installing 1.4.2_18 instead of 1.4.2_08 as prescribed by the SDL fire fighting team.

TiA (that's for Benny;)

Vito

tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
SDL Jul 8, 2008

That's a question for the friendly folks at SDL International, I'm afraid. Where's Gareth Powell when you need him?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Workbench disappears when pretranslating or cleaning *.INX.TTX files

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs