Thread poster: Jussi Rosti

Jussi Rosti  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 17:05
Member (2005)
English to Finnish
+ ...
Apr 10, 2008

Is there a way to define how a placeable is transformed during the copy?

Example: if I copy a placeable 1.4% from English source to Finnish target, Trados is able to "translate" the decimal mark into Finnish: 1,4%. However, the software is not aware that in addition to that, the correct Finnish form would include a space before the % mark (1,4 %).

Is there a way to customize this kind of copies? It would make more use of copy placeable function.

Direct link Reply with quote

Hannu Jaatinen  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2006)
English to Finnish
+ ...
Trados is not that strong in customised settings Apr 10, 2008

Hi Jussi,

Sorry to disappoint you, but the only way to do this, is to run S&R after the translation to add the space.

I think it's also worth mentioning that sometimes, if the numbers are by themselves, Trados skips them, and you might end up with tables, etc. with a period (.) as the decimal mark. This is a pain, and I believe that Trados should introduce a "Segment everything" feature where numbers would be opened as segments.

HTH, Hannu Jaatinen

Jussi Rosti  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2005)
English to Finnish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Hannu Apr 10, 2008

That's what I was afraid of...

Anyway, it's possible to write a wrapper word macro (over the get placeable macro) to fix this problem - I guess that's what I should do.

Thanks for confirming my pain

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to change placeable formatting?

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs