Trados: Segment won't open in word file created by pasting PDF ( {} ) symbol appears
Thread poster: Catarina Aleixo
Catarina Aleixo
Catarina Aleixo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 17:50
Member (2007)
Portuguese to English
Apr 10, 2008

Hi everyone,

Please help with this as I have a lot of work on and am losing loads of time.

My customer sent me a PDF project (47,000 words with 15,000 repetitions) which I copied and pasted into several word files (Word 2003).

I was able to translate the beginning of several of the documents, but keep getting to a point where the next segment won't open and all that happens is this symbol ( {} ) appears wherever my cursor is placed within the next segment.
... See more
Hi everyone,

Please help with this as I have a lot of work on and am losing loads of time.

My customer sent me a PDF project (47,000 words with 15,000 repetitions) which I copied and pasted into several word files (Word 2003).

I was able to translate the beginning of several of the documents, but keep getting to a point where the next segment won't open and all that happens is this symbol ( {} ) appears wherever my cursor is placed within the next segment. I have tried using fix document and closing without saving as well as closing workbench and opening again, rebooting computers(s) and even skipping teh next segment and going on to another different one.

The problem has not occurred with other word documents I have translated in the meantime, so it seems to be specific to this project.

I use Trados 2007 in an XP operating system and also have another version installed on a computer with a Vista operating system and the same error occurs on both.

Thanks in advance.
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 19:50
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Copy source? Apr 10, 2008

Have you tried just copy the content and continue with the next segment. It could be any rubbish whatsoever.
Be careful when using copying from pdf. The order of textblocks can change according to the order the text was prepared in the original format.
Always use special software that delivers a file as you see on screen (Abbyy Finereader among others).
Regards
Heinrich

Catarina Aleixo
Portugal
Member (2007)
Portuguese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Segment won't open at all so can't copy source Apr 10, 2008

Thanks Heinrich, but I can't copy source because the segment won't even open up. That is, Trados does not identify the source segment and provide the box in which to insert my translation. I don't get it.

I used Abbyy finereader initially, but it gave me a very weird version of the file and as the formatting in this document is not very complicated except for a few columns I went for the copy paste option this time.

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:50
Spanish to English
+ ...
PDF conversions Apr 10, 2008

Catarina Aleixo wrote:

The problem has not occurred with other word documents I have translated in the meantime, so it seems to be specific to this project.

Thanks in advance.

It's not the project. Texts converted from PDF to Word can cause problems like this with CAT software. Whenever I get a PDF I consider whether to convert it or not and often save it as text and reformat, to be sure I don't have problems of this kind.

Anna Villegas
Anna Villegas
Mexico
Local time: 11:50
English to Spanish
This Apr 10, 2008

Press the "Enter" key after the next paragraphs periods.

This should do the trick.

Catarina Aleixo
Portugal
Member (2007)
Portuguese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Tadzio I'll give it a go and report back... Apr 10, 2008

..although I am coming to the conclusion it may be a bug in my software as I downloaded it again on my laptop and the problem has gone. Thanks for taking the time to reply, it's always great to know that there are such helpful souls out there ready and willing to answer our cries!

Catarina

annita
annita  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:50
English to Greek
+ ...
It's a pdf conversion problem Apr 11, 2008

Catarina Aleixo wrote:

..although I am coming to the conclusion it may be a bug in my software as I downloaded it again on my laptop and the problem has gone. Thanks for taking the time to reply, it's always great to know that there are such helpful souls out there ready and willing to answer our cries!

Catarina

I agree with the colleague that said it should be caused by converting pdf files. It happens to me all the time when I deal with such documents and it's very annoying and I was wondering if its happening only to me! I believe it will happen to you again. I will try the suggestion of Enter after the ending period.

[Edited at 2008-04-11 12:39]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados: Segment won't open in word file created by pasting PDF ( {} ) symbol appears

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »