SDLX - Track Changes and importing into Trados
Thread poster: Angela Dickson

Angela Dickson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:34
French to English
+ ...
Apr 11, 2008

I was sent a .itd file by an agency for translation, along with the Word document from which I assume the .itd file was created. I used SDLX Lite Edit (free download) to convert the .itd file to a .ttx and translated in TagEditor.

The Word document contained quite a few tracked changes. In the .itd file, as far as I could tell, these changes were reflected (i.e. the deleted text was deleted and the added text was present). Now the agency is complaining that I 'did not translate the strikethrough text' and I am wondering where, if anywhere, in the file conversion process this problem may have arisen.

It seems as though the agency wants a target text that reflects the annotated/amended version of the source text. Would this have been possible if I'd been using the full version of SDLX?

Edited: should have mentioned I'm using SDL Trados v. 7.1.0.719 (Build 719) and SDLX Edit 2007 SP2 (Build 7035).

[Edited at 2008-04-11 11:07]

Direct link Reply with quote

Tudor Soiman  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:34
Member (2005)
English to Romanian
+ ...
tracked changes Apr 11, 2008

Open the original idt file, go to View and check Colours (Standard colour formatting). The deleted text in the original Word file will appear highlighted in yellow, the new word that shoul stay, in green. If the yellow highlight is't there, the idt was made without the tracked changes.

If the yellow h. is there, go to File, Trados, Export to TRADOStag TTX format. Both the original word (deleted) and the new one will appear in the ttx file. Translate them, open the original idt, go to File, Trados, Harvest exported TRADOS TTX translation and you'll have both words in idt translation, one in yellow the other in green.

Angela Dickson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:34
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Tudor Apr 29, 2008

Belated thanks for the advice, Tudor - this job was a mess in lots of ways (I was asked to revise the text I did plus three others the following week, and the other texts were in far more of a mess).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDLX - Track Changes and importing into Trados

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs