Trademark symbol turned to question mark
Thread poster: James Chan

James Chan  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:00
English to Italian
+ ...
Apr 12, 2008

Dear All,

I have experienced a problem with SDL Trados 2007 that 2006 does not have. This is what happened:

When I open the source document with TagEditor with SDL 2007 (Version, I discovered that trademark symbol which is a "R" in a circle and in supercript turned into question mark (?). I have never had this problem with SDL 2006.

Also if I used TagEditor with SDL Trados 2006 to open TTX files which were created in TagEditor with SDL Trados 2007. I will be prompted with an error message that is related to a filter which is not supported by SDL Trados 2006.

Will appreciate your answers to these two questions above.

James Chan

Direct link Reply with quote
Alexandra Davidson
Local time: 13:00
English to German
+ ...
What is the document type? Apr 15, 2008

Hi James,

What is the document type of the source file? MS Word, FrameMaker, HTML, ... ?

The error message suggests that you are trying to work on a source file for which you do not have the correct tag settings .ini, or no .ini at all.

As to the question mark: The trademark symbol uses a symbol font in the source document, and this font change is indicated by tags in TagEditor. So, as long as you have tags (start tag and end tag) around your ?, you should be fine.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trademark symbol turned to question mark

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs