Mobile menu

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Tag editor crashing all the time on large doc.
Thread poster: Ingeborg Gonizzi

Ingeborg Gonizzi  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 01:24
Member (2007)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Apr 14, 2008

I'm working on a large excel document (> 80000 words) which has been converted to a Tag editor document by Trados Synergy. I've done more than half of the document now, but it crashes every 5 minutes or so (I get that Windows message telling me that Tag editor has encountered a problem and needs to close down).

After I close Trados, and restart the whole project, I can get back to work, but this starts to be very annoying.

What can I do?

Thanks for your help!

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Your exact version and build number is? Apr 14, 2008

You did not include this information in your post, although it is required when posting to this forum.

In Tageditor please go to Help menu and chose "About", then put down the version and build number and post here.

Netherlands
Member (2007)
French to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
TagEditor, Version 8.0, build 835 Apr 14, 2008

Sorry, I was not aware I had to mention the version nr.

I'm working with Tageditor 8.0, as you can see, with Office 2003 under Windows XP Pro and Trados Synergy 8.2 (Trados 2007).

[Bijgewerkt op 2008-04-14 11:02]

[Bijgewerkt op 2008-04-14 11:09]

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Build number still missing Apr 14, 2008

There are various build numbers for Tageditor version 8.
Please provide your build number.

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
One possible way out of it Apr 14, 2008

Let us assume that the current TagEditor file is damaged one way or another. The bilingual information, however, is available in the translation memory also. Means, you can forget the ttx file (or copy it away, just in case) and start from scratch, i.e. open the original XLS file in TWB (!) and pretranslate it.

If the problem repeats, then it must be some Excel specialty (formula? Comment? I have no experience in this regard) that TagEditor does not like.

Actually I am quite surprised, you have to translate more than 80,000 words in Excel (!??). Could it be, that you have columns of text to translate (source in A, target to go into B)? Then it's much easier to

i) copy column A to word
ii) translate it and
iii) paste target to B

Regards

Vito

[Edited at 2008-04-14 14:37]

wordhousephil
Local time: 08:24
English to Tagalog
+ ...
Same problem (Error Message while using Tag Editor) Apr 14, 2008

I just upgraded to SDL Freelance 2007 (SDLTrados 2007_FL_SP2_835) and I am working in a (small file) one page xls file in Tag editor but like the question mentioned above, it says "TRADOS Tag editor has encountered a problem and needs to close...." And it mentioned a "Send Report Later" or "Don't Send" message to Microsoft.

If it is any help, the File version also states - 4.1.100.1332.

What can I possibly do to fix this problem?

Thank you. I'd really appreciate your help.

[Edited at 2008-04-14 14:46]

Netherlands
Member (2007)
French to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'm sorry, it's not an XLS. Apr 14, 2008

I am talking nonsense, it's not an xls, but a Word doc with a table.

I considered your idea Vito, for which I thank you very much. I was thinking of just cutting the original doc in two (or three) and then use the TM to translate each separate part from scratch.

That might be a solution, but I would like to know the cause of the problem. Is it a matter of size of the document? Is it Windows? Just curious, to avoid this kind of problem in future.

Best regards,
ingeborg

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You should use Tageditor Build 836 Apr 14, 2008

Check your build - this one is more stable than other.

Netherlands
Member (2007)
French to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How to get a new build? Apr 14, 2008

Thank you Jerzy.

But I just got this one last month... How can I get a more recent version? Do I need to buy it again or can I download it from SDL.com?

Thanks for your help!

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
The cause of a problem ... Apr 14, 2008

... but I would like to know the cause of the problem. Is it a matter of size of the document? Is it Windows? ...

I can just report my experience. I am one of early adopters, because I do believe, even if it's hard sometimes that any new release improves my situation. The alternative is to fall back more and more and lose somewhere on the way any chance of connecting again.

In any case, the first rule of thumb is to make sure there's no mix-ups of different versions, half-done installations etc. It may be hard to follow, given all those build and release numbers, but most reasonable.

Back to my experience: there's a lot of paddling going on beneath the surface. It's not just dll calls (DCOM and dot NET), it's also Java calls (with - gulp - asp files kicking in etc). A sizeable part (for instance the Java story) is due to MultiTerm interface. So one way out of a temporary bind is dispense with MultiTerm services. If it helps, then you need to look closer at the versions - for TWB and for MultiTerm installation. They may be incompatible.

If it still does not work, the file (source file or its bilingual version) may be the culprit. If you can pretranslate all the files you have ever done so far in TagEditor and the questionable file still bombs, then it must be something in it, that causes problems. I once went all the way cutting up a file into smaller pieces (bisection! - first part or second part? Second...cut it up...) to find out the file had footnotes with <1} and {1>(there was or there still is some half-hearted attempt to allow footnotes translation using this kind of a hack).

[Edited at 2008-04-14 23:04]

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Newest build and information centre Apr 15, 2008

You can search the new Knowledge Base of SDL at http://talisma.sdl.com

The hotfix for Tageditor is here (at least when I browse there): http://talisma.sdl.com/display/2/index.aspx?tab=browse&r=0.8043967
Should this link not work, search for the article with the following title: "The Translate to Fuzzy command, followed by scrolling up in the document, causes TagEditor to hang or crash"

As for the causes: most probably the structure of your Word document is somehow "ill".
You could try to remove the embedded tables for Tageditor processing, as they will not be processed there anyway and insert them afterwards back.

[Edited at 2008-04-15 08:29]

Netherlands
Member (2007)
French to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I love SDL... (not) Apr 15, 2008

Thank you so much for your tips Jerzy.

Unfortunately, your link causes my browser to hang, and when I use the title you gave me, I do find the article indeed, but clicking on it makes the SDL page display error messages....

I'll try again later.....

Thanks for your help!

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Try this... Apr 15, 2008

Hello Ingeborg,

I'm sorry to hear about your problem. Have you upgraded from a previous version of SDL Trados, 2006 for instance?

If so, I recommend that you run the "Register SDL Trados 2007" .bat file found in the following location:

Start -> All Programs -> SDL International -> SDL Trados 2007 -> Trados

This may fix the instability problem.

Please note, this program needs to be run whenever you switch from using a previous version of SDL Trados to SDL Trados 2007.

I hope this helps.

Many Thanks,

Gareth Powell

Netherlands
Member (2007)
French to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Gareth Apr 15, 2008

Hi Gareth,

thanks a lot for your suggestion. As a matter of fact, I did upgrade from Trados 2006. And the thing is, that since this upgrade, almost every day Trados prompts me to register.... I think this will be my next topic on this forum...

Thanks for your help!

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Do not mix up registration and activation Apr 15, 2008

Ingeborg Gonizzi wrote:

Hi Gareth,

thanks a lot for your suggestion. As a matter of fact, I did upgrade from Trados 2006. And the thing is, that since this upgrade, almost every day Trados prompts me to register.... I think this will be my next topic on this forum...

Thanks for your help!

SDL Trados does not prompt you to register the software - and this is what Gareth means. He means not ACTIVATING the software, but registering it in Windows registry, as he quite clearly stated in his post:
If so, I recommend that you run the "Register SDL Trados 2007" .bat file found in the following location: Start -> All Programs -> SDL International -> SDL Trados 2007 -> Trados

This is a small extra program, which wirtes the registry values in the Windows registry and has nothing to do with the activation you are prompted to do by the software. BTW, this registering may also sove this problem.
The best way to migrate from a lower version to the lates one is not to patch the version, but to deinstall it completly, rename the corresponding registry values to make them illegible for the program and to install the full version again.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tag editor crashing all the time on large doc.

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs