Source text and paragraph markers appearing in trados
Thread poster: Kate Larabie
Kate Larabie
Kate Larabie  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:22
French to English
Apr 16, 2008

I wonder if someone could help as I cant seem to access the Tradaos help centre from my computer today.

I was in the middle of translating a document and I must have unwittingly changed a setting as all of a sudden every time I pressed 'set/close' it would not replace the source language phrase with the translated one but would show the soure phrase then the translation after it, along with purple markers.

After some fiddling around I just carried on translating but no
... See more
I wonder if someone could help as I cant seem to access the Tradaos help centre from my computer today.

I was in the middle of translating a document and I must have unwittingly changed a setting as all of a sudden every time I pressed 'set/close' it would not replace the source language phrase with the translated one but would show the soure phrase then the translation after it, along with purple markers.

After some fiddling around I just carried on translating but now almost the whole document is like this. Could anyone tell me how to get rid of this and just put it back to only the translation showing, not only for further translations but for the section I have already completed?

Very simple problem, I know, but I'm stumped!

Many thanks in advance for any help you could offer!!
Collapse

Rebecca Hendry
Rebecca Hendry  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Hidden text Apr 16, 2008

Hi Kate,

If you go to Tools-->Options-->View, you will probably find that the "hidden text" box is ticked in the "formatting marks" section. Just untick it, that should do it!

Becky.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:22
English to German
+ ...
Works as designed - search for 'hidden text' Apr 16, 2008

Hi Kate,
You did not specify the software you're working with, as requested when posting a new topic in this forum; from your description, I would assume you're referring to a Word document, which you're translating in Word - right?

This is not a problem - in fact, Word works as designed: to avoid inadvertently damaging tags, it is recommended to keep all non-printable characters and hidden text displayed.

The 'mechanics' of showing/hiding non-printable character
... See more
Hi Kate,
You did not specify the software you're working with, as requested when posting a new topic in this forum; from your description, I would assume you're referring to a Word document, which you're translating in Word - right?

This is not a problem - in fact, Word works as designed: to avoid inadvertently damaging tags, it is recommended to keep all non-printable characters and hidden text displayed.

The 'mechanics' of showing/hiding non-printable characters have been discussed many times in this forum - just search for "hidden text".

Best regards,
Ralf
Collapse

Kate Larabie
United Kingdom
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for quick reply Apr 16, 2008

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly.

I am using Windows Vista and Trados Synergy 2007.

Unfortunately as I am using Windows Vista and the layout is different I am still struggling to find the 'hidden text' box using Becky's tools-options-view suggestion. Any ideas where it is in Vista?

Many thanks again for any help offered.

Kate

Kate Larabie
United Kingdom
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Found it! Apr 16, 2008

Dear all,

Just found it! In Vista you have to go a very different route to the 'hidden text' option but I have deselected it and it now only shows the English - much easier to proof!!

Many thanks for all your help as I really was stuck on what to look for.

Kate

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:22
English to German
+ ...
Vista vs. Office Apr 16, 2008

Hi again,

Unfortunately as I am using Windows Vista and the layout is different I am still struggling to find the 'hidden text' box using Becky's tools-options-view suggestion. Any ideas where it is in Vista?

Nowhere - Vista is the operating system. You would need to look in Word (2007, presumably?).

Best regards,
Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Source text and paragraph markers appearing in trados

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »