Import a "*txt"-file into a TM (Trados 7)
Thread poster: Helena Diaz del Real
Helena Diaz del Real
Helena Diaz del Real  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:50
German to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Apr 16, 2008

Hello Colleagues!

First of all, I apologize for this question, as after having been many years translating and using Trados, I still have such questions.

My client has sent me a TM with the "right" end: "*.txt". What do I have to do to get it into my Wordbench? Could you please explain it by steps?

I thank you very much already!
Ah! By the way, I have Trados Freelance 7.

My very best wishes,
Helena

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
File - Import Apr 16, 2008

Hi Helena,
I have moved the topic to to SDL Trados Support - please use this forum to post topics related to SDLX and/or Trados.

Have you tried File - Import? (BTW this has been discussed numerous times in this forum - try the forum search.)

HTH, Ralf

Helena Diaz del Real
Germany
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Yes I did Apr 16, 2008

Hello Ralf!
Nice to hear from you!!! : o )))
Thank you for your help!
I hope to see you soon again!
Very kind greetings,

Helena

[Edited at 2008-04-16 19:34]

Nicole Y. Adams, M.A.
Nicole Y. Adams, M.A.
Australia
Local time: 09:50
Member (2006)
German to English
+ ...
Problem Apr 16, 2008

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Have you tried File - Import? (BTW this has been discussed numerous times in this forum - try the forum search.)

HTH, Ralf

Hi Ralf, hi Helena,

I've been meaning to start a new thread about this myself for a while, but now I might as well post here to avoid starting an almost identical thread.

I am using SDL Trados 2007 and am unable to import txt files into any TM. I follow the usual steps for importing TMs (Helena: File > Import > OK > select the correct txt file), and everything appears to go smoothly, but at the end it always says "0 translation units imported". The language settings etc. are all correct. When I ask the client to send me the same TM as a tmx file the import of x number of units always works. This happens each time, so I have given up trying to import txt files and always ask for the tmx file right away.

Has anyone experienced the same problem?

Nicole

Helena Diaz del Real
Germany
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Not yet the problem you ment Apr 16, 2008

Nicole Y. Adams, M.A. wrote:

Hi Ralf, hi Helena,

I am using SDL Trados 2007 (...) and everything appears to go smoothly, but at the end it always says "0 translation units imported".

Well I suppose I have been lucky that my client sent me the "*txt"-file. At any case I did not get the same information as you ("0 translation units imported") but many more (I can't say now how many, as I already began to translate, everything works but this information is not available anymore).

Has anyone experienced the same problem?

Not yet, but I presume it is a matter of time until I get the same problem. ;o)) But if I ever get another kind of file other than "*txt", I will say the client right away which one I need. It involves for me a lot of time to find out the solution to trados-related problems and get ususally tight deadlines for delivering.

But well now my problem is solved and I thank you both, specially Ralf, very much.

Lovely greetings,
Helena

Mikael Adolfsson
Mikael Adolfsson  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Have you checked the txt-file? Apr 17, 2008

Just a thought: Have you opened and checked the txt-file?
I know it might be a stupid question, but sometimes it goes too fast when working ...!
I had the same problem, with zero imported TU´s. That time I just opened the file and saw that it was empty - the customer did something wrong when they exported the TM to txt-format. Another time it wasn´t empty, but the information was corrupted - no wonder Trados couldn´t import it!

Well, just a thought!

Helena1962 wrote:

Hello Colleagues!

First of all, I apologize for this question, as after having been many years translating and using Trados, I still have such questions.

My client has sent me a TM with the "right" end: "*.txt". What do I have to do to get it into my Wordbench? Could you please explain it by steps?

I thank you very much already!
Ah! By the way, I have Trados Freelance 7.

My very best wishes,
Helena

Helena Diaz del Real
Germany
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Yes, Mikael everything is now OK Apr 17, 2008

Hello Mikael,
Thank you very much for your answer and help!
Now everything is OK and have no problems at all, anymore.
Next time, I will first check if the file is OK before I import it, as you suggested.

All the best for you, up there in north!
Helena

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Import a "*txt"-file into a TM (Trados 7)

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »